Unexpected Behavior w/Layout

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 36
Ron Stephens | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 1 2011 12:41 PM

I have a customized study layout in my Layouts menu which includes a Passage Guide pane, a Bible pane, and a Commentary pane. When I change the reference in the Passage Guide pane, it reverts to showing all the items available in the "Add" button and forgets my customized settings. I don't remember having this problem in releases prior to 4.2.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2011 11:57 AM

Did you create a new guide template and modify that, or were the modifications made within the context of an active passage guide?

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 36
Ron Stephens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2011 2:58 PM

I don't understand the question.

I open the Layout I created some time ago. But when I change the passage reference, the layout changes - it used to stay the same.

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2011 4:03 PM

Hi Ron!

I think what David is trying to ask is are you using the default 'Passage Guide' or have you created your own custom guide template that you are using in your layout?  

The default guides will only save your settings for an individual passage.  They'll go back to the defaults when you run the guide for another passage.  If you go back to the original passage, your 'custom' settings will appear again.  That behavior hasn't changed.

A custom guide, however, will retain your settings no matter what passage you are using.  Plus, if you name it 'My Passage Guide' or 'My Exegetical Guide' it will open instead of the default 'Passage Guide' or 'Exegetical Guide' in places like a passage study from the home page! 

The best bet for you is probably to create a custom guide and replace the default guide in your layout with it.  You can find the 'New Guide Template' tool at the bottom of the Guides menu.  Hope that helps you! Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have. Smile 

Posts 36
Ron Stephens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2011 4:19 PM

As stated, it is a custom guide (My Study Guide).

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2011 4:46 PM

Oh, sorry!  

Ron Stephens:
I have a customized study layout in my Layouts menu which includes a Passage Guide pane, a Bible pane, and a Commentary pane.

I didn't infer from your original post that you were using a custom guide (I applied 'customized' to 'layout'.)  

In that case, did you change the guide you had already run or did you edit the actual template? (You'll find that in the panel menu, 'Edit Guide Template'.)  You might just go to the edit screen and confirm the settings for your guide.

Posts 36
Ron Stephens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2011 6:36 PM

Will do. Thanks. Guide / Layout. Not sure of the most  correct terminology. My "workspace" use to adapt to different passages w/o changing. Now, suddenly, it is.  :)

Posts 36
Ron Stephens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2011 6:45 PM

Rather than try to determine the problem...

Can anyone tell me how to create a custom Layout containing a Passage Guide which, when changing the text in the Passage Guide, the Passage Guide will retain it's appearance and not revert to it's default inclusion of all the options available in the Add drop down?

Posts 28926
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2011 8:07 PM

Ron Stephens:

Rather than try to determine the problem...

Can anyone tell me how to create a custom Layout containing a Passage Guide which, when changing the text in the Passage Guide, the Passage Guide will retain it's appearance and not revert to it's default inclusion of all the options available in the Add drop down?

Look at the wiki for customizing the Guide - the behavior you describe indicates you are modifying an instance of a guide rather than creating a new guide template. Note especially the need to name it MY PASSAGE GUIDE.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS