Aramaic Bible Series - Liturgical Press - Collegeville MN

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10545
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:29 AM

I certainly like low prices. But for Aramaic Bible, I think I ended up with an average per-volume price of around $38, which I thought was very reasonable.

Also, the volume notes tend to overlap (e.g. Pseudo-Jonathan vs Neofitti on Genesis). Since I like Neofitti, it's notes point back to differences with Pseudo-Jonathan, so unless one is a Targum-ite, you can get coverage without all the volumes.

Aramaic Bible's not a mass-market set; that's made obvious just googling it.  My general impression, LitPress seems to under-price it (compared to other similar volumes).  If you look at LitPress's catalog, it's not their normal offering.

One major problem, is that the volumes are somewhat addictive. If you're in John (gospel), it's inevitable you're going to have to have the targum Psalms.  Then Job pops up, then a question in Judges (Former Prophets).  Or how the targums handled an oddity in Numbers.

The targums are pretty unique; it's not clear their dating nor even authorship and the degree of usage.  But the similarities to both the NT, and Talmud are striking and thus 'cultural logic'. Since they tended to insert explanations in-between the MT words, it's a running commentary of how they were trying to interpret the text.

I'm 'running on' here just to assist anyone not that familiar with 'what they're good for'.   In one of the Genesis Targums, Abraham is concerned about being rewarded by God on earth, because it will reduce his rewards in heaven. To us, that sounds 'crazy'. But I really suspect we don't know what Apostle Paul's diatribes against 'works' really referred to ... the targums might indeed reflect a 1st century mindless accounting of this and that, earth vs 'the next life', etc. And 'James' might be a caution not to over-interpret Paul.  Emphasis on 'might'.  We don't know.

EDIT: I was just reminded about Jesus' promise 'Blessed are the poor ...' (Luke). I'd always wondered about Luke's poverty emphasis, and indeed 'if' palestinian jewish culture (vs Jerusalem) viewed a tradeoff on earth/heaven, then a rural crowd 'on the plain' would nod their heads in pleasant agreement. 

Glad to see the mysterious message below.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 107
Brandon Rappuhn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:05 AM

Is, Denise, David, fgh... keep your eyes on the Pre-Pub page. Subscribe to our Pre-Pub mailing list to get updates on new Pre-Pubs we post. Don't be too hasty to buy these volumes elsewhere just yet. Wink wink, nudge nudge, cough cough.

Surprise

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 1:42 PM

Brandon, a couple of quotes from posts I've made since New YearSmile:

fgh:
What's also nice is that this is the second Liturgical Press title in a couple of weeks. That ought to mean that Sacra Pagina and Berit Olam are on the way. And the Aramaic Bible. And Jurgens, and Congar, and the Little Rock Catholic Study Bible, and a number of other things that have been asked for, often repeatedly.

fgh:

Hans:
Still don't see any progress on English Targums.

There's actually been a huge one very recently (though it may not be so obvious to non-Catholics): the clearly very much improved relationship between Logos and Liturgical Press, the publisher of the Aramaic Bible: The Targums. So far it's only had time to result in a few new prepubs, but hopefully we'll see Sacra Pagina, Berit Olam and the Aramaic Bible before the year is over.

So, yes, I already am keeping my eyes on the Prepub page.Big Smile Berit Olam and Jurgens turned up last week. Now I'm waiting to see whether the Aramaic Bible will win over Sacra Pagina, or the other way around.Stick out tongue I hope the dollar is on the way down and not up...

I prefer the RSS feed over the mailing lists, though. At least when I had them, the e-mails never arrived until long after I had already ordered what I wanted.

Denise:
In one of the Genesis Targums, Abraham is concerned about being rewarded by God on earth, because it will reduce his rewards in heaven. To us, that sounds 'crazy'.

I doubt it counts as defined dogma or anything, but it's a fairly common theme in Catholic spirituality and the writings of the saints.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:21 PM

fgh:
Now I'm waiting to see whether the Aramaic Bible will win over Sacra Pagina, or the other way around.Stick out tongue

Sacra Pagina New Testament Commentary Series (18 vols.) won.Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 107
Brandon Rappuhn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:32 AM

Sorry it took so long, guys. Here it is!

http://www.logos.com/product/31386/the-aramaic-bible-series

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:41 AM

Brandon Rappuhn:

Sorry it took so long, guys. Here it is!

http://www.logos.com/product/31386/the-aramaic-bible-series

Whew !  I think they emptied more than one salt box here.  That's very pricey.  They should break it up to make it cheaper to get into.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:27 AM

George Somsel:

Whew !  I think they emptied more than one salt box here.  That's very pricey.  They should break it up to make it cheaper to get into.

Under $32 per volume!! Good luck getting them cheaper than that!

Posts 167
David Kirk Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:47 AM

Can we have a few preview pages before we spend $700?

Posts 167
David Kirk Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:59 AM

Google books had a preview

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 12:01 PM

Dean053:

George Somsel:

Under $32 per volume!! Good luck getting them cheaper than that!

I didn't say they were charging an excessive amount.  I said that the combined price was too high to be affordable at one time.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 12 2013 4:27 PM

Thank you for the info...I would have missed this, and the introductory pre-pub price is the only way with this series...it is worth it,but even Gottingen LXX was less on pre-pub...so yeah...thanks for the heads up!!!

Brandon Rappuhn:

Is, Denise, David, fgh... keep your eyes on the Pre-Pub page. Subscribe to our Pre-Pub mailing list to get updates on new Pre-Pubs we post. Don't be too hasty to buy these volumes elsewhere just yet. Wink wink, nudge nudge, cough cough.

Surprise

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 12 2013 5:09 PM

Since Logos also carries Gorgias Press titles, maybe the Antioch Bible would interest some, at least then the NT will one day be covered.

http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/t-antiochbible.aspx

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS