This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 11:39 AM

Thanks, Daniel. Good points.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 15
Steve Timpson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2011 4:34 PM

Bill Moore:

Hi Daniel. I agree with your assessment. I'm not sure I want to invest more than $250 in a tablet while the tablet market is in such a state of flux.

One thing about Android and 2.x versus 3.x OS, do any 7" screen tablets use the 3.x Android OS?

The Acer Iconia Tab 7" 8 Mb is currently selling for $299 in Canada at Best Buy and Future Shop...dont know about the US.

The only thing I am a bit concerned about is its advertised 5 hr battery life.

It runs Android 3.2 out if the box.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2011 5:28 PM

Rev Steve Timpson:

Bill Moore:

Hi Daniel. I agree with your assessment. I'm not sure I want to invest more than $250 in a tablet while the tablet market is in such a state of flux.

One thing about Android and 2.x versus 3.x OS, do any 7" screen tablets use the 3.x Android OS?

The Acer Iconia Tab 7" 8 Mb is currently selling for $299 in Canada at Best Buy and Future Shop...dont know about the US.

The only thing I am a bit concerned about is its advertised 5 hr battery life.

It runs Android 3.2 out if the box.

Thanks, Steve. I checked Best Buy online and it's $329.99 here. You're right that the battery life could be an issue.

Posts 15
Steve Timpson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2011 10:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I have been trying several, mostly 7 inch tablets, and have been impressed by the Nook Simple Touch (the nook touch 2) which I got for $112.

It is an e-ink device so it has outstanding battery life ( measured in days or weeks instead of hours)

The refresh rate is very slow but as my intent is to read my logos books, I dont seem to mind so far.  The screen means that in well lit situations the readability is great, but you do need light, as there is no back light.

To allow the use of the logos beta, you need to root it so that you can use the android market, but I have found once rooted, the device becoumes a great all round e-reading tool.

I have installed, the Kindle app, left the B&N nook app, added Dropbox for my personal docs, Opera for reading the newspaper internet sites, and the king of the apps, the Logos beta for reading my Logos library.

It is hopeless for any video - the you tube app does run!!, but there are no speakers for sound!  Games are a no go to, Angry Birds will run, but is not at all useable other than to impress your friends that it is actually installable, since the refresh rate makes it a bit like watching "moving pictures" by flipping hand drawn pages in a note book.

The Nook Simple Touch is nothing like the color tablets, but in battery endurance, lightness, and readability in sunlight or bright light, and price,  it is excellent. 

So far I have not found any glitches in the latest beta.  The app seems to run just as it did on the Iconia honeycomb 3.2 device, just more slowly of course.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 6:51 AM

Excellent, Steve! Thanks for sharing.

Posts 16
John Wells | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 10:45 AM

I agree about a 7" screen not being optimal for tablets. I'm quite happy with my recent acquisition of the Asus TF101 Transformer, which is powered by a dual-core Nvidea processor. At $399, it won't remain the cheapest for very long but it's still a couple hundred cheaper than an iPad.

The Logos beta is fast and works very well on my Asus Tranformer Android tablet.

Posts 2724
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 6:25 PM

Looks like a new low cost tablet leader is about to emerge with Amazon announcing their Kindle Fire tablet today for $200.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS