Compatibility with old Windows based pre-Libronix Libraries

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 21
Will Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 5 2011 1:47 PM

Hi.

this is my first post here.  I am a church planter in Philadelphia.  I am in the process of hopefully selling the majority of my physical library and switching to digital.  I have used Logos from v.1 up to Libronix on a windows os machine.  I have recently switched to Mac and am wondering if I purchased Logos 4 for Mac would those old libraries still work?

I don't want to run windows virtually.

I am currently running Lion on my Macbook Pro.

I have the following that I would hate to buy again:

The Works of Cornelius Van Til, 1895-1987

The IVP Essential Reference Collection, v. 1.0

And a bunch of free libraries from E4 Group (www.freebiblesoftware.com)

Thanks for your help!

Will

Posts 4958
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 3:13 PM

HI  Will,

Certainly the first two of your list of works are available for L4 - I couldn't check the last on the list it being a bit vague.

When you install L4 on your mac if you contact Customer Services they will release the library that you have purchased and it will download and be ready for you to use.

There are ways to make it do it without the downloading but if you have broadband the best way is to make sure that your machine doesn't go to sleep - let it download and index overnight and all will be well.

Posts 21
Will Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 3:51 PM

Thank you for the reply.  The libraries I have are on CDs.  Will this change anything?  I tried installing Libronix on my Mac to see if I could install the libraries directly but it didn't work.  Libronix would not recognize the library on the disc. 

Is it correct that as long as I have the licenses for the works I should be able to get them to work with v. 4 even if I am going from Windows to Mac? 

Thanks!

Posts 28727
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 5:12 PM

Will - 

I believe that you should be able to call Logos and have them attach the resources to your account. They will then download into L4.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11158
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 5:30 PM

Will, certainly CS will be able to help you, as e.g. Alabama has pointed out. However, some remarks may help:

Will Turner:
I tried installing Libronix on my Mac to see if I could install the libraries directly but it didn't work. 

Libronix is a Windows program, which can't run under the Mac OS, only on a Windows PC / PC emulation. But probably you won't need it anyway. Did you already install Logos 4 for Mac? 

Will Turner:
The libraries I have are on CDs.... Libronix would not recognize the library on the disc. 
But Logos 4 should be able to do so, via the scan command (at least that's how it works in Windows, Alabama or KeepSmiling4Jesus will be able to give you the Mac details)

However, if you synced your licences to the Logos licence database server back then in you PC Libronix (or are able to do so now), Logos 4 for Mac will detect them on startup and automatically download all resources you have a licence for (provided Logos has a copy, which may not be the case with these old E4 things, where you then need to use the scan-command) 

Hope this helps,

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 6:26 PM

Will Turner:
Is it correct that as long as I have the licenses for the works I should be able to get them to work with v. 4 even if I am going from Windows to Mac? 

If you synched your licenses in Libronix, then Logos knows you have a license for them. If not, you need to call CS.

Will Turner:
The libraries I have are on CDs.  Will this change anything?

Once Logos knows you have the licenses for those resources, Logos 4 will download them. You shouldn't need the CDs.

The E4 resources might not be on the Logos servers. The Scan Optical Media command should bring them into Logos 4. If you never synched your licenses for those works, you might be in a tight spot as I'm not sure what CS can do to unlock them.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 7:19 PM

Will Turner:
And a bunch of free libraries from E4 Group

Apologies: from E4 Group FAQ, learned E4 uses a different Bible software that only runs on Windows (and cannot be scanned into Logos 4 since different format used).  In fact, ownership of E4 software has changed hands twice this year (recently acquired by Lifeway Christian Resources).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 8:36 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Apologies: from E4 Group FAQ, learned E4 uses a different Bible software that only runs on Windows (and cannot be scanned into Logos 4 since different format used).

E4 was once Logos compatible and those resources work in L4. The E4 Group lost the right to produce Logos compatible resources many years ago and began to produce in another format. So anything you would get today (or in the past few years) is not Logos compatible, but the Logos-compatible resources will still work in Logos 4.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 8:37 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
ownership of E4 software has changed hands twice this year (recently acquired by Lifeway Christian Resources).

I don't think that is correct.     It is true that QuickVerse was purchased by WordSearch who in turn was purchased by Lifeway. However, E4 is a ministry that currently uses the QuickVerse program to access the resources it distributes. They are not owned by QuickVerse nor do they own QuickVerse.

A long time back E4 distributed resources in Libronix format. Those specific licenses were not sold, so no one actually bought them the first time around. They only paid for S&H. I am not sure Logos provides support for those resources.

correction  Logos does offer discounted upgrade prices for several libraries that  correction   E4    AGES software released in Libronix format. Those libraries are still in Pre-Pub for Logos 4.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 1:55 AM

More apologies along with living and learning Embarrassed (ignorance <> bliss).

Found an old Logos forum post by Dan Pritchett on 20 Nov 2009 with an E4 copyright example => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/5358/41810.aspx#41810

Dan Pritchett:

As I recall, E4 had perhaps the most strict policies of any publisher that has produced titles for the Libronix format.  They used to have verses about stealing pop-up in some editions...

Here is an example of a Title Page excerpt from one of their books:

The publication is COPYRIGHTED in its entirety, editing, index, and content by: THE EPHESIANS FOUR GROUP, and is protected under copyright laws. This volume is for the use of one person only per CD

Users are allowed to place this volume only on one personal computer (you may place it on two computers if you are the main user of both of the computers). No portion of this electronic text can be placed on the internet. © 1998 The Ephesians Four Group

This edition is not abridged, but has been carefully edited and indexed by the Ephesians Four Group.

Also found a suggestion to => contact Logos Customer Service about E4 resources => E4 Group software for Libronix

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 21
Will Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:11 AM

Thanks everyone.  Bottom line is that I need to contact CS.  I will do that.  Hopefully they will work with me. 

RE: the CDs I have from E4 are old, originally Logos 1 & 2.

Posts 3
Andrew Knox Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 9:17 AM

This is Bob from the E4 Group.

There is no reason for Logos not to have those books, or files.  They were distributed under a perfectly valid license and other publishers works from that era import in fine.  Logos customer service would have to handle this.

Posts 28727
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 10:11 AM
Bob Brown:
This is Bob from the E4 Group.
As I mentioned in the other thread, these posts are nearly 6 years old. Hopefully things are handled differently since that time.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS