Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 71
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 21 2009 11:12 AM

Hey Everyone,

The other day, some of us in the office were talking about what Logos "is." Now, yes, I know that it is Bible software. But since I've started working here I noticed that, for many of our users, Logos is so much more than just software. So, I thought I'd throw this out there and see what everyone had to say... "What is Logos to you?"

I realize it is kind of an open ended question, but that's what makes it fun. Feel free to share just a few words or a story that illustrates what it is to you. Interact with one another's comments and have fun.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 12:27 PM

My Logos library is quit extensive, I have been building for years; though, I still have a fairly significant list of titles on my wish list, published, in pre-pub and under suggestions :)

I am a software engineer and Logos works the way I think and solve problems; it is like a huge database with lots of keys to produce intelligent queries.

I use it to validate (or invalidate) what is preached from pulpits and do my own research; I especially like using the historical and archeological information to learn the origin of various doctrines. I love the excellent writers like Fruchtenbaum and Pink who can lead you thru the writings, teaching the facts and exposing the dogma.

I use Logos for several hours each and every day to verify facts and expose bad doctrine; it has been quite a journey. It is great for performing studies; for example, the prophetic parables of Matthew 13 and the writings of Arthur Pink; Pink claims that the treasure in the field is Israel, if you type in "treasure" in the Bible Speed Search you will quickly find out that Israel is indeed God's treasure, how long did it take Pink to figure that out?

Another example, original languages; in Revelation 5:9, 10 the modern translators interpret the song as being sung "about" the people the lamb was slain for from every tongue, people and nation making "them" priests and kings. Then you have the KJV indicating that the song is being sung "by" the people "whom" the song is about; what to do, do you blindly assume the modern translators were smarter and had more information than the KJV translators? No, get out the ESV interlinear and go thru the Greek word for word and you will discover the KJV writers got it right! In Rev 5:10 there is a Greek word the modern translators translated as "them" while the KJV translators properly translated it as "us" meaning "self"; not only does the word translate as "us" it indicates the song up to that point is about "self".

I could go on, I love Logos, thank you for making it,

Ken

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 2:20 PM

KenAvery:

I use Logos for several hours each and every day to verify facts and expose bad doctrine; it has been quite a journey. It is great for performing studies; for example, the prophetic parables of Matthew 13 and the writings of Arthur Pink; Pink claims that the treasure in the field is Israel, if you type in "treasure" in the Bible Speed Search you will quickly find out that Israel is indeed God's treasure, how long did it take Pink to figure that out?

Another example, original languages; in Revelation 5:9, 10 the modern translators interpret the song as being sung "about" the people the lamb was slain for from every tongue, people and nation making "them" priests and kings. Then you have the KJV indicating that the song is being sung "by" the people "whom" the song is about; what to do, do you blindly assume the modern translators were smarter and had more information than the KJV translators? No, get out the ESV interlinear and go thru the Greek word for word and you will discover the KJV writers got it right! In Rev 5:10 there is a Greek word the modern translators translated as "them" while the KJV translators properly translated it as "us" meaning "self"; not only does the word translate as "us" it indicates the song up to that point is about "self".

What treasure are you speaking of in Mt 13?  I would assume you are speaking of vv. 51-53.  I would not say that Israael is the treasure here.  It is rather the Kingdom of God which is the treasury.  This would include the Church as well.

In Re 5.10 while αὐτοὺς can mean "self" in some circumstances, this is not one of them.  Here it clearly means "them"  so King Jimmy's boys got it wrong.  It is important to note that those who are singing this song of praise ware the 24 elders.  These are the representatives of the people of God in both the Old and the New Testaments, Jews and the Church -- 12 patriarchs and 12 apostles.  I'm not sure who would have given the impression that this was being sung "about" God's people since it is a song sung by the representatives of God's people ABOUT THE LAMB.  I would be careful about listening to some preacher in the pulpit who says, "The Greek or [the Hebrew] says ..." since about 90% of the time they're wrong.  Perhaps you should give them a copy of the Logos Original Languages Library.  Wink

Come on, just do it.  I know you're a nice guy.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 2:53 PM

George,

I am more careful about what you say based on the arrogance of your tone; I have the utmost respect for Author Pink and have read and tested his position on scripture, as have many, and his dividing of scripture is held in great esteem among scholars.

The question from the original post was concerning what Logos is to me; not what Georges opinion of my understand of scripture is. I consult linguists all the time; this is how I learn, and I will put my trust in the ones who have spent their entire life dedicated to the ancient languages before I take your word for what I have spent years studying.

Your doctrine is broken and your opinion is not of interest to me; I learned this very quickly, it was obvious after a few exchanges on these forums and reading your posts. It is an open forum and you are free to respond; though, unless you want to spend more time learning and less time teaching your opinion is of no value to me.

God bless you and keep you,

Ken

Posts 87
David Emme | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 4:45 PM

Ryan Burns:

I realize it is kind of an open ended question, but that's what makes it fun. Feel free to share just a few words or a story that illustrates what it is to you. Interact with one another's comments and have fun.

What is Logos to me, a lot!

I very much enjoy the many resorces. I have many resources on prepub as well as an extensive wish list.

It is my man bible study tool. There is not a day I do not go to Logos. It is my resource center and have learned a lot from study and reading books. As a KJV IFB whom also happens to claim Calvinism, doing studies in Logos in the passage study as well as many books has brought me to a point where I can clearly define what I believe about Calvinism-some from some of the books by Boice as well as putting my journals as part of the bible passage search.

Through the bible passage search and utilizing the New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, I have found an answer to all those whom define foreknowledge as pre science or God's omniscience. I did a study on Romans 3:10-18 and always went to the phrase, "There is none that seeketh after God". On some online communities, I was told that I could not use one phrase to base a belief upon(which I never believe I ever did, I also used many other passages), yet when I ask them about this phrase-what it meant to them, how they took this conclusive statement by Paul in God's word. The only answer I ever got was I cannot use one phrase. In the NTSK, it took me to the verses that Paul quoted from the OT, mainly Psalms 14 and 53. I now bring these passages into my online debates first getting people to agree, if I could bring a passage in context that shows that there is a certain conclusion based on the omniscience of God which is different from how they define foreknowledge, that they accept my definition of foreknowledge. The agree, I bring these passages, and then no one wants to talk about how wrong Calvinism is anymore with me.

On the other hand, whenever I preach or teach, I use Logos.

In a sense, it has become my bible. Not that I do not read from a physichal KJV, but I find when I have a question in my reading, Logos allows me to quickly find the answer to my quetion.

While in the Philippines, I met a pastor who expressed that he only had one bible in his church. I immidiately handed him my bible and told him this was his. He thanked me and expressed that he prayed to the Lord that I would give hime my bible which was a nice one. He really thought  would not give something so nice away, thus why he prayed. Since then, I have sent some bibles and tried to get others to do the same.

I had to preach that night and basically had to preach from my Tablet PC with Logos KJV as my main text.

On the other hand, I desire to be a missionary in the Philippines and using many of the resources on Logos to instruct the believrs as well as the preacher boys I will be going out in the field with to start new churches.

I had met another Pastor who spoke of not having the bile in his language and hopes someone will eventually translate the bible in his language. There are at least 100 differing dialects in the Philippines and not every area, region, or island speak Cebuano, English, or Tagolog which are the three main languages. So I am aspiring to learn Greek, Hebrew, and Latin as well as how to do translation work. Many of the resources in Greek, Hebrew, and Latin-I am trying to buy as much as I can between text's, dictionaries, interlinear, lexicons, and beginning to advanced books teaching biblical languages. Except for the more expensive work recently put out by Logos on the multi Harvard colume on the bibl, I think I own about every Greek tool, text, Lexicon, Greek grammar and Greek instruction book. I am using Mounce's text(which I wish Logos is able to get) and other Zondervan books put out with Mounce's work. Yet, as I see it, having many text's, when I run into a problem of clearly understanding when Learning Greek, I can go to the many I own on Logos to see if it is stated in a clearer or easier to understand way.

I really see Logos as a translation tool to help me in my future endeavours. I am also buying much in book form incase my computer becomes unavailable.

Here are some things I would like to see more of in Logos on this.

1. Thayer's Lexicon

2. Text's that teach you Latin

3. Erasmus' Greek text with his correction of the Latin Vulgate-just bought the book form, but would also love to see this in Logos.

4. More Latin text's, Latin Vulgates, and more Greek manuscripts besides the ones Logos allows us to have-i.e. more from the Byzantine Majority  family of manuscripts. I already possess the majority textform-two different ones put out by Logos and I think as many of the TR that Logos has.

So for me, Logos is much more than a bible program. I read a lot, study a lot and when I enter Seminary/Graduate school-my intention is to not have to buy one book. I have a pretty extensive library and growing more every month.

In essence, it is a tool for my studies, a tool to instruct people in the Philippines with that do not have the money or availability to buy many resources whether Logos or book form as well as a translational tool for translating the word of God. Understand, it will be quite a few years before I get onto the field, but  can work now through Logos and other book resources to start learning what I need to kno about bible languages. In a pinch, when I give my bible away, it is also what I preach from.

Almost forgot. What I own in book form, I buy it and then send the books to the church in the Philippines so they have more resources to use to learn the word of God.

Thank you for this great program. I am a very big fan of Logos.

God bless

Dave Emme

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 5:14 PM

Logos, of course, is a company - a group of dedicated people whose hearts are focused on preserving and spreading the Word of God, and making the fruits of the Holy Spirit from many authors available widely to bless others.  From all reports, it's also a great company to work for.  All of my contacts with its staff have attested to their godly intent and focus.  That's what "Logos" (the company) is to me.  And in the world of software companies, it's always amazing to see any of them that can survive essentially unchanged in purpose for two decades.

Libronix, the Bible-study engine that Logos created, and the massive and still growing group of resources available through that engine, is quite simply the most advanced *broad-based* tool for the study of scripture available in the world.  It's held that seat of prominence virtually throughout its history, and I don't expect that to change.

The Library of Libronix resources has allowed me to do something I never could have imagined I would do - I've been able to DONATE 98% of my hardcopy library (over 1200 books) to several Bible College and Missions organizations.  It's allowed me to replace those tools with an incredibly powerful, totally portable, and most importantly - wonderfully time-saving alternative.  I've currently got over 4500 resources - nearly four times my prior library - all in a laptop.

In summary - one word - Incredible

=============
Redeeming the time (Eph.5:16+Col.4:5) ...
Jim Dean

Posts 8
Jules lamond | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 5:46 PM

A good resource and great tool, however it is not a replacement for the Biblical text.

I do not study the available resources to the extent that they shape my thinking. I let the wisdom of the Bible itself perform that requirement (2 Timothy 2:15) in order to fulfill Matthew 4:4, John 8:51 and James 1:22. 

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 7:01 PM

George Somsel:
 What treasure are you speaking of in Mt 13?  I would assume you are speaking of vv. 51-53.  I would not say that Israael is the treasure here.  It is rather the Kingdom of God which is the treasury.  This would include the Church as well.

Ken Avery:
Arthur Pink; Pink claims that the treasure in the field is Israel

Note: The treasure being in the field precludes this from being vv. 51-53.

George Somsel:
 In Re 5.10 while αὐτοὺς can mean "self" in some circumstances, this is not one of them.  Here it clearly means "them"  so King Jimmy's boys got it wrong.  It is important to note that those who are singing this song of praise ware the 24 elders.  These are the representatives of the people of God in both the Old and the New Testaments, Jews and the Church -- 12 patriarchs and 12 apostles.  I'm not sure who would have given the impression that this was being sung "about" God's people since it is a song sung by the representatives of God's people ABOUT THE LAMB.  I would be careful about listening to some preacher in the pulpit who says, "The Greek or [the Hebrew] says ..." since about 90% of the time they're wrong.

The whole 12+12 theory is interesting; not very original and not very insightful.
You can find a more technical discussion on the different texts here: http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/nigtc_rev

Depending on the text; the Greek word is ημας not αὐτοὺς; which is also include in vv. 5.9 in some texts and translated as such in the KJV.

BTW - I used Logos to figure all of this out Wink

Ken

Posts 87
David Emme | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 8:07 PM

Jules lamond:

A good resource and great tool, however it is not a replacement for the Biblical text.

I do not study the available resources to the extent that they shape my thinking.

I think that perhaps maybe you are not seeing where I a coming from. I state it has become my bible, not only for the many tools, but also having the text of the bible contained in it.

I at one time owned hard copies of Strong's as well as New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge and Englishman's Concordance for the New Testament.

These with the bible and eventually the books form of Zhodiates work has alsways been the tools I would use to research, study a bible text. This always took time and i never regretted the time used to access thes books for bible study.

Now, with Logos, so much time is saved and with many tools that are so much more expansive including Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Weust''s volumes, and AT Robertson's work on the Greek is something I always desired, but was space and cost prohibitive as well as the extra time to look them up where as having these all available on Logos for a much cheaper price, the only space it taks up is on my hard drive-it allows me to have a more thorough bible study in less time then it would take with books.

Yes, I still read the KJV in book form. I did not chuck my bible in "paper" form. When I am at home, what is the differance between reading the bible digitally or in paper form? It is the same text-the bible is the bible whether you have it in a scroll, a book, or on a computer.

Me, I allow what I want to influance me.  Because of what I can do in Logos, I have a fuller understanding of the bible in so many ways that has been nothing but conviction from the lord on the sinfulness in my life and many blessings to just have a better understanding of the bible and the doctrines it teaches and finding out things through a multitude of resources.

What I did for bible study before Logos is no different from what I do now except there are many more resources available to me and allows me to do so much more for bible study and understanding.

The nature of my inquisitive mind, when ever I read something, I will always have a thought or a question that I want to find an answer for and now only takes a few minutes in Logos to find my answer or if my thought is a correct thought about what I read in the bible or a wrong thought. For this reason, I use the textof the bible in Logos in most of my personal devotions at home.

A biblical text is never replaced and if I can find it in a program, I have no problem using it in place of a bible in a book.

The bible is the bible and no matter the form it takes whether audio, video, digitally, or in a book-the bile will always remain a bible.

I do not use any other bible other than the KJV and in Logos, I do the same thing.

Posts 338
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 8:10 PM

Hi Ryan,

It's a question that has different answers for the varied seasons of life since I first received my first copy, probably when it was first released on the market (it has to be more then 15 yrs, but that's only a guess). I picked mine up from the local Egghead software store, which has long been out of business, and guess what, Logos is still here :)... that's got to say something, right?

I've served in many different positions within the Church, and in those various ministries it served me well as a study tool, as well as a means for preparation for teaching and even writing a few sermons. Lately, it has competed with my book selection, in that now I have to check if a title is available in Logos before I check the online book stores. That's actually been something that I blogged about once, asking the question should we have both a hard copy and a digital one within logos? Had I known that you were  going to offer a electronic version of Schreiner's "New Testament Theology", I would have opted to wait before buying from amazon.

Most of all, I enjoy using logos for my devotions. for both my written journal entries, and those times where I get lost in God's word, especially when using Passage Guide and all of the wonderful resources it checks for me without me having to browse the selves in my hard copy library, though I still do that on occasion.  I love my Piper collection, and of course the Lloyd-Jones collection also (I'd love to see his biography in logos).

It just keeps getting better all the time!

Ralph

Posts 87
David Emme | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 8:16 PM

JimDean:
The Library of Libronix resources has allowed me to do something I never could have imagined I would do - I've been able to DONATE 98% of my hardcopy library (over 1200 books) to several Bible College and Missions organizations. 

Praise the Lord on using Logos to give away to others in need. When I see someone else doing the same, I will have to agree, incredible it is!

The Pastor and preacher boys I end up sendin my books to in the Philippines devour the books I send them.

Perhaps a good thing we can do or get Logos to start doing is to pick a needy mission orginazation and allow us to send hard copies to. Perhaps get with some of the main denominations(we are not all the same denoms) and allow others to participate in the same blessing to be able to give to missionaries and Christans in other countries who otherwise could not afford to have some of these books.

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2009 8:41 PM

KenAvery:

Depending on the text; the Greek word is ημας not αὐτοὺς; which is also include in vv. 5.9 in some texts and translated as such in the KJV.

BTW - I used Logos to figure all of this out Wink

The various Textus Receptus (TR) use ημας and this is the Greek text used by the KJV. Modern translations are usually based on the NA27/UBS4 text which uses αὐτοὺς. Interestingly the The New Testament in the Original Greek: Byzantine Textform 2005 uses αὐτοὺς  and the TR texts belong to the Byzantine tradition! So the KJV is right and so are the modern translations, it's just that most researchers find little support for the originality of ημας. I also cannot find any support for αὐτοὺς being used as "us" except Phil 3:16.

This is a part of what Logos means to me, as i can find different sources to balance my own opinion and that of others on different topics.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2009 3:17 AM

I have been using Logos since 2000 and it to me the opportunity to obtain, manage and access a treasure of resources that only a few had easy access to not that many years ago. It is also a bonus that I can take these resources with me when I travel (like I am doing right now). As a result of all this, it is the single most important software package that I have on my computer. Smile

I should also say that I am so grateful to Logos for investing in the Mac platform. It was the only piece of software that kept me using Windows until recently.  Well done Logos!

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2009 5:15 AM

David Emme:
The Pastor and preacher boys I end up sendin my books to in the Philippines devour the books I send them. Perhaps a good thing we can do or get Logos to start doing is to pick a needy mission orginazation and allow us to send hard copies to.

A truly WONDERFUL suggestion, Dave!

Here is the URL for a missionary family that is truly sold out for God, and whose humble ministry has grown by God's blessing over the past two decades.

A group of us visited them for two weeks last year in the Philippenes.  We constructed a new building for use with their Bible School.  But the greatest blessing was going out with their young, dedicated pastors, calling on their members, and witnessing to many others.  MUCH MUCH different than in the US.  Hearts were open!  People living in bamboo+palm huts, dirt floors, crowded together, but huge smiles with God's love.  A wonderful ministry.  Check out their web page - if you write them, say hi to them for me (Jim Dean from MeadowBC)

http://www.sonnydix.com/index.html

=============
Jim Dean

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2009 5:38 AM

Jim and David, I have on multiple occasions suggested an organization that does as you suggest.  Love Packages sends hundreds  of tons a year of good Christian literature oversees where they are distributed.  Philipines, Africa, many other locations I know as well.

Find out more at http://www.lovepackages.org

As for what is Logos to me?  A money pit!  Well sort of.  Last year I added up what I'd spent on Logos and nearly had a heart attack.  Of course in exchange I've obtained an outstanding theological library, a librarian, a research assistant (or two) and more pages than I think I'll ever be able to read. 

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2009 5:48 AM

Thomas C. Black:

As for what is Logos to me?  A money pit!  Well sort of. 

Yep.  I gotta admit it, I've probably spent more on Libronix than I ever would have imagined, when I first started with them (pre-seriesX).  But, when it comes to buying things "for myself", I just can't think of anything I'd rather spend the money on!  :~))

=============
Jim Dean

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2009 6:23 AM

Yeah that about sums it up; One of my fav giveaways that Logos did a while back was Eugene Fields "The Love Affairs of a Bibliomaniac "

The Bibliomaniac's prayer is intended for dead tree versions but with imagination can work for Logos as well....

KEEP me, I pray, in wisdom’s way,
  That I may truths eternal seek;
I need protecting care to-day,—
  My purse is light, my flesh is weak.
So banish from my erring heart
  All baleful appetites and hints
Of Satan’s fascinating art,
  Of first editions, and of prints.
Direct me in some godly walk
  Which leads away from bookish strife,     
That I with pious deed and talk
  May extra-illustrate my life.

But if, O Lord, it pleaseth Thee
  To keep me in temptation’s way,
I humbly ask that I may be
Most notably beset to-day;
Let my temptation be a book,
  Which I shall purchase, hold, and keep,
Whereon, when other men shall look,
  They ’ll wail to know I got it cheap.  
Oh, let it such a volume be
  As in rare copperplates abounds,
Large paper, clean, and fair to see,
  Uncut, unique, unknown to Lowndes.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2009 6:53 AM

Logos is my

1. Bible research software

2. Dictionary

3. Thesaurus

4. Ebook reader

5. Once I add (read justify) PBB builder, it will be my Library

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 54
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2009 7:10 AM

Having used Logos the last 16 years (from 1.6 on a friend's PC back in 1993) Logos has meant many things to me from then to now.

1. It was a novelty (I liked QuickVerse 2.0 better)...now it is a powerful working tool.
  2. It was a fast concordance...now it is a powerful and complex search engine.
  3. It was a smattering of books...now it is an ever expanding library.
  4. It was a software program I could use... now it is an expansion of my own work that goes well past the program (sermon file addin, sermon.logos.com)
  5. It was something I used on my own...now I use it among others in many situations (personal Bible studies; public studies; family devotionals)

Can't wait to find out what Logos will mean to me 16 years from now (the Good Lord willing).

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2009 8:23 AM

Dave Hooton:

KenAvery:

BTW - I used Logos to figure all of this out

The various Textus Receptus (TR) use ημας and this is the Greek text used by the KJV. Modern translations are usually based on the NA27/UBS4 text which uses αὐτοὺς. Interestingly the The New Testament in the Original Greek: Byzantine Textform 2005 uses αὐτοὺς  and the TR texts belong to the Byzantine tradition! So the KJV is right and so are the modern translations, it's just that most researchers find little support for the originality of ημας. I also cannot find any support for αὐτοὺς being used as "us" except Phil 3:16.

This is a part of what Logos means to me, as i can find different sources to balance my own opinion and that of others on different topics.

Dave,

Excellent; this is a great example of what Logos is, this find is only the tip of the iceberg where there is actually division on which texts are correct. People assume that the NA27/UBS4 is the complete and correct source of the original language; with Logos, we can examine the original texts and gain insights into the hard and controversial decision. The answer in this case is not a slam-dunk on either side.

Unfortunately, the bottom of the iceberg is beyond the scope of the Logos forums.

The good news is that the diligent student can dig much deeper into these issues using Logos and find out why decisions are made and the theological implications of the different views; including, doctrinal issues with the decisions. The river runs deep and includes replacement theology, is Israel and the Church one? Are all of God's promises to Israel now applicable to the Church thru accepting of Christ? Is Revelation 4-22 future or now, different tribulation views and millennial views?

These are some of the issues that come into play when translators are making the hard and controversial decisions concerning which text to use and how to translate different words; their decisions and theology are reflected in their choices. What is amazing is that Logos has the tools and the content to put the big picture together and understand these issues Yes

Ken

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS