Personal Book Builder - Milestones don't work (II)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 13 2011 3:05 AM

For some reason not all the milestones for bible verses do work properly at my computer. I have a commentary (in English) on Acts, that starts with a small section about Luke 1:1-4. So what I did was to put a Bibleverse milestone in the beginning of the Word doc, like this: THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES [[@Bible:Acts 1:1]]. That worked.

The second milestone is this:  Acts 1:1-5 [[Bible:Acts 1:1-5]] Introduction to the Acts. In between this milestone and the first milestone there was that little section about Luke 1:1-4. I didn't put any milestone there, since it belongs to Acts.  However, this second (and all the following) are not working.

For some reason a Word document with only one part of this commentary (without the part about Luke 1:1-4) was working properly! But rebuilding the book with this docx didn't work anymore.

Does anyone have the same experience, but also a solution? I saw people have problems with milestones, but I don't see a working solution. Or is the syntax wrong?

Thanks,

Patrick

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2011 3:31 AM

Have you tried Cleaning your .docx file?

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2011 4:43 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. The weird thing is that there are some milestones working, but just not all.

BTW, I have a Dutch version of Microsoft Word 2010 on my Windows Vista machine. But the Docx' language is English.

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2011 5:02 AM

Patrick Rietveld:
BTW, I have a Dutch version of Microsoft Word 2010 on my Windows Vista machine. But the Docx' language is English.

That shouldn't matter.

Patrick Rietveld:
The weird thing is that there are some milestones working, but just not all.

Word can add lots of unnecessary hidden formatting to text, particularly if you edit the text (for example, if you copied and pasted a milestone from earlier in the document, then edited the new milestone). This hidden formatting sometimes confuses Logos, and this is what the 'cleaning' usually fixes.

If you want, upload your document (or a small part of it that doesn't work), and I'll take a look.

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2011 5:11 AM

3872.acts parts.docx

Hope uploading works.

P.

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2011 5:40 AM

Yes, it looks like the problem is that there is formatting within the milestone. This will stop the milestone working. For example, if you look at Acts 1:1-5, you'll see that the font changes part-way through the milestone.

As a test, I fixed the first two milestones by selecting the line (in Word you can do this by clicking just to the left of the line), then pressing the "Clear Formatting" button (it's in the Font section of the home tab), then re-applying the paragraph style. I'm sure this method will also work for the other milestones.

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2011 6:52 AM

Thanks Mark, for helping me. I saw the milestone's formatting and changed it. The styling is the problem. But I am not sure how to fix it.

Applying a heading style to it (after clearing its formatting) doesn't work.

I cleared the formatting, and applied the standard formatting for only the first two milestones. This solved the problem with all the milestones, but I lost the headings for the first two (so they are not visible in the TOC). 

So then I put the milestone immediately after the reference:

It was this: Acts 1:1-5 Introduction to the Acts. [[@Bible:Acts 1:1-5]

and it became this:Acts 1:1-5 [[@Bible:Acts 1:1-5]] Introduction to the Acts. 

But then the following milestone stopped working:

Acts 1:6-26 Waiting for Pentecost [[@Bible:Acts 1:6-26]]

I cleared the formatting and re-applied it. I saved it as RTF and resaved it as docx, but without success.

Patrick

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2011 8:07 AM

All the milestones in the attached document work OK: 8625.Test.docx

All I did was:

1. In Word, switch to print view (I don't think this will make a difference though)
  2. Select the line with the milestone by clicking just to the left of the heading.
  3. Click the "Clear Formatting" button
  4. Click on the "Heading 1/2/3" style as appropriate to set the style back to what it should be for the whole line.
  5. Go back to step 2 for the next milestone.

Afterwards I just saved as a .docx

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2011 11:20 AM

Interesting. This doc works fine for me. However, when I change the second milestone from Acts 1:1 to Acts 1:1-5, it doesn't work anymore. I changed it back to 1:1, but it didn't work. So it looks like something is wrong with my Dutch version of Word 2010. I will try to find this out.

Patrick

Posts 11127
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 7:53 AM

Patrick Rietveld:

Interesting. This doc works fine for me. However, when I change the second milestone from Acts 1:1 to Acts 1:1-5, it doesn't work anymore. I changed it back to 1:1, but it didn't work. So it looks like something is wrong with my Dutch version of Word 2010. I will try to find this out.

Patrick

Maybe it helps opening the Docx as an XML and looking whether Word inserted something in there (one example could be, if revision mode/track changes is active) 

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 8:36 AM

Patrick Rietveld:
However, when I change the second milestone from Acts 1:1 to Acts 1:1-5, it doesn't work anymore.

I don't think it's something wrong with your version of Word, it's just that Logos/Word don't like you editing milestones. When you do so, Word puts in a whole bunch of unnecessary hidden formatting and that confuses Logos. 'Cleaning' the file, as suggested above, usually fixes that. It didn't work before because of the additional font problem, but it will probably work now that the font problem is sorted. And I'm sure if you were to delete the entire milestone and re-type it, it would work.

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 4:59 AM

YES, that worked. Thanks Mark.

I retyped all the milestones in this test doc and they were detected. Now I will do the whole 246 page doc. Smile

Patrick

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS