Free LOGOS 4.0 Upgrade

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 100
Anthony Grubb | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:54 PM

I'm not the first to share this, but it has taken me hours to find it a second time, and thought you'd all like a shot at it.

LOGOS prefers to sell you a minimal upgrade/crossgrade package to "really see it shine."

Okay, for the rest of us...  Here is the free engine to use what you already have:

http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

After loading, at first you will have access to like, maybe, NOTHING on the new LOGOS 4.0 engine

(you can still use your old 3.0, though).  Then the thing scans your computer, starts pulling a download or converting your existing files, not sure.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:13 AM

Logos' position on this is the same as always.

The engine is always a free upgrade.

There are capabilities in L4 that go beyond the base packages - as such it really is a better value for customers to at least consider the minimal crossgrade: http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade

During the release, as you can imagine help center call volume is at top-end levels.  Bob has already stated that once the hubub dies down a bit they'll be posting very clear instructions for the engine only update.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:19 PM

I bought the Scholars edition of Logos 4 (I have the equivalent in L3).  I have it installed with all the books and am finding I'm not happy with the limitations of the new search engine especially with the loss of the original topic searching and browsing.  You said that there is a way to just upgrade for free and use the original L3 search engine?  I tried installing from the link you gave onto my netbook computer in the hope that I could just use my original library and the old L3 search engine but keep some of the other features of L4.  It is in the process of downloading now.  I tried to just use it after the initial install without connecting to the internet but it did not recognize my books (the library was empty) so I activated my internet connection and it is now converting my files I guess.  But after its done how can I get it to use the L3 search engine rather than the L4?

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:27 PM

TimEngwer:

I bought the Scholars edition of Logos 4 (I have the equivalent in L3).  I have it installed with all the books and am finding I'm not happy with the limitations of the new search engine especially with the loss of the original topic searching and browsing.  You said that there is a way to just upgrade for free and use the original L3 search engine?  I tried installing from the link you gave onto my netbook computer in the hope that I could just use my original library and the old L3 search engine but keep some of the other features of L4.  It is in the process of downloading now.  I tried to just use it after the initial install without connecting to the internet but it did not recognize my books (the library was empty) so I activated my internet connection and it is now converting my files I guess.  But after its done how can I get it to use the L3 search engine rather than the L4?

Tim, I'm afraid you don't understand. L4 is a completely new product built on an entirely different structure. What you'll get with just the engine is L4 and all the resources you currently have licensed. L4 cannot run L3 technology - It runs L4. You can run L3 and L4 simultaneously, but not interchangeably. Like you can run Word and WordPerfert at the same time and one can convert the files from one to the other, but you can't use WP's reveal codes in Word -- they are separate programs. Since you've upgraded you'll just be replicating what you have on one computer the long way - you could have copied your L4 resources to an external drive and then copied them back once you'd installed the engine. L4 accesses your licenses on Logos' server then accesses the resources (downloads them - unless you stop it and copy them over) and then indexes them (can't be copied over).

Chris

Posts 20
Jerry Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 10:26 PM

In the description for the minimal crossgrade, it states I "must own an RA, QB, OC, or ND base package to purchase".  Those letters don't mean anything to me.  Can someone enlighten me?  Thanks.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 10:59 PM

Jerry Foster:

In the description for the minimal crossgrade, it states I "must own an RA, QB, OC, or ND base package to purchase".  Those letters don't mean anything to me.  Can someone enlighten me?  Thanks.

It is simply any of the previous V3 Base packages. My was Scholar Golden Edition ND.

Bohuslav

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:00 PM

Jerry,

I believe they are shorthand identifiers of Logos' library "editions". Logos shuffles the libraries from time to time, such as they have done when they released Logos 4. The current libraries are all identified with LE. The letters you mentioned refer to previous editions.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:09 AM

Tim,

you specifically mention that you are unhappy with Topic searching.

While I realize that it's not EXACTLY THE SAME as in V3...I think from looking at this picture; you'll see that it's a great topic finder.

I think that the disconnect and dissatisfaction that people are feeling comes from doing a "full library search" and getting "junk hits."

In V3 if you did a full library search what would happen? Well, after 25 minutes you'd get all kinds of junk hits...right?

The same goes here. If you only search a collection that v3 would have used...(as I see it) then you get what's functionally, the same as v3 (not EXACTLY but very functional.)

Can you see below that not only do I see Marriage as a topic...but i see it's sub-topics...and synonyms, and related items...and all with enough context to make a good decision on what to explore further!

Give this a try and see if it works for you...then, you can always get a refund...Logos is good about things like that.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 20
Jerry Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 4:50 AM

Ah, that is what I was afraid of.  But I wanted to verify because none of the documentation that I could find for previous boxed versions referenced those specific letters.

On a bigger scale, this is the one thing that frustrates me the most about Logos, and is probably what prevents me from buying in completely - the fact that I need to purchase a boxed set or I am considered a 2nd-class citizen.  I hit this pretty hard in my 20-product Bible Software Review roundup last year.  I am a huge fan of purchasing only what I need, when I need it.  I don't have the hundreds of dollars laying around for a boxed set.  Nor am I interested in hundreds of books, if I am only really going to use a small percentage of them.

For L3, I purchased the eBible Deluxe on sale for $30, and then added to it some time later with the NAS library for $25.  And I bought a couple extra books and add-ins here and there as needed.  This was a great starter set.  But because I started small, and desire to grow my library in small chunks, it feels like I am punished by Logos.  For example, there are resources that are only available in a boxed set, such as the ESV Reverse Interlinear, and there are features I can never utilize, such as the PBB.

And now, its more of the same.  I can upgrade to the free L4 engine, but as Mr. Black says above, "There are capabilities in L4 that go beyond the base packages."  And I am not allowed to purchase the Minimal Crossgrade, because I am required to already own a base product.  So my only legitimate choice for upgrading to L4 that will give me access to all the features appears to be the purchase an L4 boxed set.  Even at a 25% discount, to get something comparable to what I've built so far puts me at either the Bible Study or Leader's verson, for $200 or $243.  At worst case, this seems like a steep price for an upgrade overall, best case it is simply too steep for me personally.  Since I purchase all my own software for all my reviews, I can't afford hundreds of dollars each time a product comes out with a new version.  :(

At the very least, I wish Logos would honor a smaller boxed set, like the eBible Deluxe that I own, to qualify me for the minimal upgrade.

God bless.

Jerry

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:07 AM

It doesn't make much sense to me to couch it in terms of being treated "2nd class" or being "punished".

It seems  rather simple: Logos makes a product and they get to choose how they sell that product. Certain features only come with certain "packages" of how the product is sold. You can find virtually the same thing with any business selling any product.

For example, let's say someone owns a hotel and the best rooms in the hotel cost $1,000. These rooms are much larger (more sq. ft.) and have extra features like a balcony overlooking the city and a jacuzzi tub. The lowest rooms only cost $100 are smaller and have less features (a window instead of a balcony and just a regular tub).

Would it make sense for me to say "Give me a $100 room" and then demand that the owner put a jacuzzi and balcony in it or else I'm being punished him and treated him like 2nd class? No, that makes no sense to me.

Would it make sense for me to throw in the fact that maybe I don't have $1,000 for the extra sq. ft., but I will shell out $500 if the owner just crams in the jacuzzi anyway? Again, this doesn't seem reasonable to me, nor does it seem reasonable for me to write a review that "hits them hard" for such "lack" of service.

However, Logos does have very good payment plans if you can't afford the $200 or $243 up-front.

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 20
Jerry Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:42 AM

Hi John.

The word "2nd class" was probably too strong, and I went out of my way to say it "feels" like I am being punished.  That is just the perception from my end for making the [financial] decision to start my library on a smaller scale.

On one hand your analogy makes some sense, and Logos is certainly free to market and sell Logos however they see fit.  But the analogy breaks down because in a hotel, the owners could not gradually add extra square footage to your room, or give you a jacuzzi at a later time.  The physical and economic constraints make it impossible.  This is not the case with digital distribution.  At times it just seems odd that I can knock on Logos' door with money in hand to purchase a book or feature, and they won't sell it to me.  I mean it, it still is a huge bargain overall to purchase the boxed set, so its not the case that if Logos made the ESV reverse interlinear available to me there would no longer be any incentive to purchase the boxed set by those who could do so.

Again, if Logos feels this business model is more profitable or better suits their goals, that's fine.  As far as I know, they are the only Bible software package that operates this way. I simply wish I could purchase only the books and features I want as I can afford them, that's all.  I get frustrated at times that since I didn't buy a boxed set 4 years ago, I still am unable to do buy items I want now.

Thanks.

Jerry

Posts 2830
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 8:29 AM

Jerry Foster:
And I am not allowed to purchase the Minimal Crossgrade, because I am required to already own a base product.

Says who, WRONG. Of course you can

Jerry Foster:
So my only legitimate choice for upgrading to L4 that will give me access to all the features appears to be the purchase an L4 boxed set. 

Says who, well if you mean all then yes. Your old resource will function in V4.

Jerry Foster:
At the very least, I wish Logos would honor a smaller boxed set, like the eBible Deluxe that I own, to qualify me for the minimal upgrade.

But you do qualify, you have been misinformed. Upgrading no but cross-grading yes. You cannot upgrade if there is nothing to upgrade to. Go ahead on the Logos website and try cross-grading, you will find you can.

Ted

Edited to include : You can get the base package Christian Home Library & upgrade to the next package if you want. But you can cross-grade without a base package or upgrading to the next base package.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 10:13 AM

Jerry Foster:

That could certainly be explained better on the website.

Posts 6710
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 10:53 AM

Jerry signin to the website using your user name and password. If you do not have one, then use your libronix email address and register that. then click on the upgrade button, and you will discover that the cost of the base package goes down. If not call customer service or write. 

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 20
Jerry Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 11:19 AM

Ted Hans:

Jerry Foster:
And I am not allowed to purchase the Minimal Crossgrade, because I am required to already own a base product.

Says who, WRONG. Of course you can

Um, I was just going by what the minimal crossgrade page explicitly states, which is, "You must own an RA, QB, OC, or ND base package to purchase a Minimal Crossgrade."  When I asked in this very thread what those letters meant, I was told it was a previous L3 base package.

So you are telling me I can, Logos said I can't (from what I understand).  Sorry if I'm confused about the whole thing, maybe someone can help clear that up without yelling?  :)

Jerry

Posts 20
Jerry Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 11:21 AM

Lynden Williams:

Jerry signin to the website using your user name and password. If you do not have one, then use your libronix email address and register that. then click on the upgrade button, and you will discover that the cost of the base package goes down. If not call customer service or write. 

Thanks, Lynden.  That is exactly what I did.  The prices I mentioned earlier did include a 25% discount, which is good, but still seemed very steep to me for an upgrade, that's all.  Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Posts 2830
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 12:09 PM

Jerry Foster:

Um, I was just going by what the minimal crossgrade page explicitly states, which is, "You must own an RA, QB, OC, or ND base package to purchase a Minimal Crossgrade."  When I asked in this very thread what those letters meant, I was told it was a previous L3 base package.

So you are telling me I can, Logos said I can't (from what I understand).  Sorry if I'm confused about the whole thing, maybe someone can help clear that up without yelling?  :)

Jerry

If you do not have the Logos 3 engine here is the link http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls

Open up your eBible Deluxe. Go to "Help" select about Libronix. It should tell you what version of Libronix you have.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 20
Jerry Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 12:19 PM

Ted Hans:

Open up your eBible Deluxe. Go to "Help" select about Libronix. It should tell you what version of Libronix you have.

I already know what version I have - 3.0f.

Jerry

Posts 2830
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 12:37 PM

Jerry Foster:

Ted Hans:

I already know what version I have - 3.0f.

Jerry

I now see what you mean, sorry for the wrong info. I was equating the Logos engine with the base product version. Then i think your complaint is a fair one

Ted

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:12 PM

As I looked more into this I realized that I did not have my hits sorted by rank and now I see the difference.  This isn't as lacking as I thought it was and I think I will keep what I have.  Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS