Suggestions on readings on Church history

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 886
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 15 2011 1:22 AM

I am attending a Church history course using the textbook History of Christian Church, Williston Walker. However, this is not in Logos. So I want to ask you for recommendations on similar/complimentary readings on Church history.

I have the:

Exploring Church History, Eckman, James P.

History of the Christian Church, Schaff, Philip; Schaff, David Schley; Phillip Schaff

Studies in Early Church History, Sell, Henry Thorne

A History of Preaching, Volume 2, Dargan, Edwin Charles

in the Logos library.

And I heard that "History of the Christian Church, Schaff, Philip; Schaff, David Schley; Phillip Schaff" should be a good resource.

Are there any other resources you think are excellent value in Logos?

Thanks.

0 0 1 6 40 HKUST 1 1 45 14.0 Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE
Posts 471
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 4:10 AM

Church History in Plain Language by Bruce Shelley was an excellent read. He's a good storyteller.

Posts 100
Richard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 4:19 AM

Def. agree with "Plain Language." Easy and informative read. Also see "The Story of Christianity" and "History of Christian Thought" by Gonzalez (I don't think either are in Logos, though, but still essential reading).

-- Richard

Logos 6 Mac (always the latest beta)

MacBook Air Mid 2011 (Lion)  |  1.8GHz Core i7  |  4GB RAM  |  256GB SSD
Samsung Galaxy S5

Posts 1663
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 5:52 AM

Agree that Shelley is good value.

If you are trying to create a collection for your church history books in Logos, this kind of thing might give you a start:

("church history" OR "Christian history" OR "Church Fathers" OR title:("Encyclopedia of Christianity","Christian church",creed)) ANDNOT type:(Commentary,Devotional)

Posts 886
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 7:52 AM

Thanks all. Seems like the 'plain language' is really good.

Do anyone of you know how good the "Exploring Church History" by Eckman, James P. is?

And thanks for the searching string for building the collection. It is very useful!

Posts 28959
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 12:25 PM

Kolen Cheung:
History of the Christian Church, Schaff, Philip; Schaff, David Schley; Phillip Schaff

Schaff, like Harnack, needs to be read critically. Good scholars using the resources they had available but they have some serious errors in light of more recently available data. If you list Dargan on preaching you should also consider Old on reading and preaching.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS