Splitting up commentary collections (Others do it)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1942
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 17 2011 6:57 AM

In the interest of taste, I will not mention the company, but one of the major mobile Bible software companies offers the volumes from the NICOT/NT and NIV Application Commentary series as individual purchases.  I use my IPad often for reading, so that works well for me, but there should be no question as to where I purchase my books;  I should be able to (and want to) get them through L4, but I can't afford a whole set at once.

I always thought that it was the publishers who would not allow the sets to be split up, but if others can do it, then it doesn't seem to be the case.  Make them more expensive to purchase separately (they certainly were through the other company), or whatever needs to be done, but please split up these sets.

They may be waiting to get as many people to buy the whole sets as possible, and then they will split them up, but I hope they offer them soon, as they are forcing me to spend my money elsewhere, and I hate to do that. 

I would much rather use my beloved L4 for all of my books!!!!

P.S.  It is also a requirement for me that they be available on my IPad as well, since that is where I do simple book reading.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 27270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 9:01 AM

Joseph - 

I agree with you that it would be nice to be able to purchase individual titles. Hopefully this will come to Logos. As for availability on mobile devices - Logos has the philosophy that if you own a license for a title, you should be able to access it on any device you use. When a title is unavailable, that is generally an indication that the publisher did not allow your license to be used in that way. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1942
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 9:46 AM

Right, I'm just saying that if it requires negotiation on the part of Logos, say with Zondervan, that I would hope that they would push hard for that availability.  For instance, I don't think that the NIV is available from Logos for ipad, but you  can get it on ipad from other companies.  I just hope for some aggressive negotiations!  LOL.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 27270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 10:06 AM

Joseph Turner:
 Right, I'm just saying that if it requires negotiation on the part of Logos, say with Zondervan, that I would hope that they would push hard for that availability.  For instance, I don't think that the NIV is available from Logos for ipad, but you  can get it on ipad from other companies.  I just hope for some aggressive negotiations!  LOL. 

You are right that other venders sell the NIV for mobile devices. Logos is primarily in the business of selling resources for desktop/laptop computers. The problem seems to be that Zondervan wants more money / separate license for mobile devices. I am glad to have 80%+ of my resources available to me on my iPad. If Logos caved on this issue, why wouldn't EVERY publisher to the same? Here are Bob's comments on the subject:

Bob Pritchett:
 This is 100% out of our control. We don't own the NIV, and need permission from the people who do. We are doing everything we can to get them to give us permission. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS