Introducing New Testament Discourse Grammar: Video Series - comments

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 17 2011 9:22 PM

I started watching the Introducing New Testament Discourse Grammar: Video Series DVD that arrived today.

On Lesson 01 on "Markedness" in the chart at 29:48 - 30:32 αυτοις is shown as being F P (Feminine Plural).

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 61
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 9:31 PM

Eric Weiss:

αυτοις is shown as being F P (Feminine Plural).

Maybe they thought it was two cars Wink

How to ask for help for Logos issues.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:17 PM

Eric Weiss:
at 29:49 - 30:32 αυτοις is shown as being F P (Feminine Plural).

are you sure it didn't read "αὐταῖς"? (like it should!)  The alpha and omicron look awfully similar in certain lowercase fonts

...If not, thats troubling!

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2011 5:56 AM

Paul Newsome:

Eric Weiss:
at 29:49 - 30:32 αυτοις is shown as being F P (Feminine Plural).

are you sure it didn't read "αὐταῖς"? (like it should!)  The alpha and omicron look awfully similar in certain lowercase fonts

...If not, thats troubling!

Here it is at 29:48:

Based on what Runge had just discussed in the previous image, the Gender for αυτοις should be the null sign (Ø), just like αυτων, because it can be more than one gender (masculine and neuter).

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2011 5:41 PM

(delete)

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2011 8:07 PM

Eric Weiss:
Based on what Runge had just discussed in the previous image, the Gender for αυτοις should be the null sign (Ø), just like αυτων, because it can be more than one gender (masculine and neuter).

Ok I would agree with Runge there that αυτοις can be used in the Third person Plural Masculine Dative as well as the Third Person Plural Neuter Dative (like αυτων in the genitive).  By what he said previously in the video it seems to be a mistake in the graph.

Dr. Runge or Logos!  Is Eric right?

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 2:59 PM

bump! ..?

Posts 56
LogosEmployee
Steve Runge | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 12:59 PM

It looks like my bad, though maybe not. I created the slides in Power Point, then they were imported to Keynote where all kinds of bugs arose: formatting, incompatible characters like the null sign, accents on the Greek. But it looks like this is more likely attributable to a thinko on my part.

Thanks for pointing this out. Do not expect a rerelease of the video. There was another place where I talked about how there was a king in Egypt who arose who didn't know Moses. I should have said Joseph.

I am striving for perfection in my next project, but it won't be ready to ship for a really long time. Big Smile

Posts 221
André Kamphuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 1:13 PM

Steven Runge:
I am striving for perfection in my next project, but it won't be ready to ship for a really long time. Big Smile

Hi Steven, are you talking about the Hebrew Bible Bundle we are waiting for? Sad Please don't say YES!

Posts 56
LogosEmployee
Steve Runge | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 11:35 AM

It was more of a joke than anything. At Logos we value precision, but we also value shipping things. I have seen too many worthwhile academic projects live in the shadows while the scholars poured and repoured over details to strive toward a perfect database. Since perfection was always one more proofing pass away, nothing was released.

I do my best to catch errors like the one pointed out in this string, and enlist as many others as possible to help with the checking. We caught (and corrected) a lot, but there will inevitably be more. Thanks for looking at things close enough to catch the error, and for bringing it to our attention.

Regarding the Hebrew Discourse project, I now have a team of three working with me on the analysis, and it is in line for building some prototypes to show users. Once that happens you'll be hearing more about the project in an effort to finish funding the project. Work is proceeding even if you don't hear about it. And it will indeed ship rather than wiling away the years on the back of my hard drive as I obsessively review. The beauty of electronic resources is that they can be corrected and updated after they have been released. Work continues on improving the Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament even though that shipped in 2008.

Posts 36
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 3:19 PM

I have my DVD in hand. I cannot, however, get it to run. I wonder if it works with 64bit Windows? I have Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit on an i7 processor. Everything is up todate. I've even tried to load it to the harddrive. It choked on that as well. Any ideas?

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 4:00 PM

Steven Runge:
Work is proceeding even if you don't hear about it. And it will indeed ship rather than wiling away the years on the back of my hard drive as I obsessively review.

I hope you're making backups of your hard disk!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2011 1:14 AM

Mark:

I have my DVD in hand. I cannot, however, get it to run. I wonder if it works with 64bit Windows? I have Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit on an i7 processor. Everything is up todate. I've even tried to load it to the harddrive. It choked on that as well. Any ideas?

Wonder about trying Apple's Quick Time ? (running from hard drive)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2011 7:19 PM

A minor error in Discourse_02 at about 52:50ff. re: μεν...δε:

The verse being discussed and shown is Luke 10:2, but instead of saying "while the harvest is great, the workers are few," he incorrectly talks about John 4 ("while the fields are white unto harvest,....").

- - -

Interesting comment at 57:37ff. re: the μεν...δε in Acts 2:41-42. NA-27 starts a new paragraph with 2:42; UBS4 keeps the two verses together in the same paragraph. Mike Runge suggests the possibility that this is a reference to the Great Commission - i.e., the μεν clause referring to them being saved and baptized, and the δε clause referring to them being discipled.

Posts 36
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:25 AM

I tried that, but it didn't work. I also tried it on my Macintosh. That didn't work either. I'm going to call customer service, I must have a corrupted disk.

Thanks for the help

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS