Mind Mapping Software

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 3688
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 18 2011 2:01 PM

I just discovered a new MindMapping software tool:

http://blumind.org/

Looks interesting though it may be too simplistic for some users.  I appears to still be in development features are being added regularly.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 448
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 12:26 PM

I had heard of this one, but there might be some difficulties with translation.

I am very interested in mind mapping software. I have tried many. Some are prohibitively expensive, others are reasonable - some are free...

I like to use a mind map to take notes from lectures and sermons and in personal study and sermon prep.

All the software packages have some advantages. But, I really want one that I can move files back and forth from my iPad to the laptop- seamlessly. This has proved problematic at best.

My current favorite is DropMind. It will open and export to many formats including MS Office components.  It has an iPad component, but transfer is not seamless. It also has a web component - very polished.

XMind is very good, but it does not have an iPad component. They have talked about it, but nothing has yet materialized. There is a way to open it on the iPad - an app called iThoughtsHD, which reads many mind-mapping file formats. The caveat is the file may open, but the map may not look quite the same...

Edraw has a freebie - but no way to open on iPad.

iMindMap - a Buzan product is neat but a bit pricey. Does a real cool Powerpoint presentation.

SimpleMind is, well, simple - a bit too simple.

One of the really cool products is called Personal Brain. a 3D looking interface. But, no iPad component, a bit pricey, but I love the paradigm...

Popplet is cute - and fairly functional and has an iPad component.

Mindjet is way too pricey but looks good and has a very minimal iPad component...

Many of these have a subscription business model-not sure I like that, but more software companies may move in this direction... It's seems like leasing a car - you always have a payment.

Posts 3688
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 2:36 PM

MJ has been collecting links to Mind Mapping and other software to aid in the graphical presentation of data - she may have some other thoughts to add.  Other mind-mapping tools that I have used include:

LucidChart
FreeMind
     FreePlane
     SciPlore
Inspiration

You can also find a longer list on Wikipedia at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mind_mapping_software

Some of these are free; some are free to students, but not to others; and some have a trial version for free, but a full version will be costly.   Understand, I have not used most of those listed on Wikipedia - just know of the list.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 3
Jhon Orton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 10:12 PM

I like so very mush to drupal. Thanks for the sharing such a nice list of different software.

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 10:18 PM

The best one that I have used was MindGenius. I say was because it's not available for Mac, to which I moved two years ago. There I use MindNode Pro which has an iPad version which I use for preaching. I've also used Inspiration which is clunky but slightly more like MindGenius.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 28707
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 11:14 PM

One consideration is your definition of mind mapping - an the definition has been changing. Some products that do mind mapping only handle hierarchical data i.e. they are simply graphic outlines. Others support brain-storming which permits a web structure (like a concept or semantic map). I have a strong bias towards the latter.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 277
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 1:36 AM

what about Mindmanger 9?

2 Peter 3:18  But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Posts 28707
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 1:59 AM

Ben:

what about Mindmanger 9?

It has some very nice features including being able to create the relationships of a web structure. For my purposes, it is a bit pricey - but that depends upon the use of the diagrams. If you need very professional drawings, it can certainly produce them.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 277
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 2:55 AM

MJ. Smith:

Ben:

what about Mindmanger 9?

It has some very nice features including being able to create the relationships of a web structure. For my purposes, it is a bit pricey - but that depends upon the use of the diagrams. If you need very professional drawings, it can certainly produce them.

Thanks very much! as a preacher 3 times every week, I think who I need.

2 Peter 3:18  But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Posts 25
Billy Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 11:25 AM

I have been using mindmanager for a number of years.  It is an incredibly powerful program.  It interfaces with MS Office great as well.  It is a little pricey, but you I think they have a non-profit price as well as a commercial price.  I think that is how I bought it originally.  I have it on my Mac and my windows.

Posts 28707
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 12:15 PM

Ben, if Billy is correct that you can get a discount Mindmanager would be be a good way to do. Or, if you want to project the images for an audience, it's a good way to go. For myself, educational level software (Inspiration 9) is satisfactory.

Posts 277
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 8:23 PM

MJ. Smith:

Ben, if Billy is correct that you can get a discount Mindmanager would be be a good way to do. Or, if you want to project the images for an audience, it's a good way to go. For myself, educational level software (Inspiration 9) is satisfactory.

Thanks

Posts 47
David McClister | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 6:00 AM

Great thread. I am recently getting into mind mapping software and would like to use a program to do presentations. I'm specifically hoping for the ability to bring up a sub-tree or branch at will and not having to predetermine the order in which they must appear. Sometimes a student will ask a question about something I plan to cover but my Powerpoint slides will not get to it next. It would be nice to be able to jump to a topic at will.

Does anyone know which of the programs mentioned in this thread (or others) does a good job at presentations? I have looked at Vue, but it seems convoluted.

Thanks in advance.

Posts 251
Rod | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 6:34 AM

Have you looked at Prezi

It is presentation software but very unlike Powerpoint.  The first time that I saw it used was at a technology conference and it was the most memorable thing that i got out of the particular session.  It is also used in Student Alpha where you can download a number of pre-made presentations.

Posts 3688
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 10:13 AM

David McClister:
Does anyone know which of the programs mentioned in this thread (or others) does a good job at presentations? I have looked at Vue, but it seems convoluted.

Any of them could use a virtual printer to create JPG or PNG files.  These could then be placed into a Power Point or other presentation software.  Inspiration is nice for audiences because it is so colorful.  I cannot speak for them all, but some of the others can have color added, thought it is not inherent in the maps as they are created.  

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 10554
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 10:38 AM

Floyd Johnson:
Any of them could use a virtual printer to create JPG or PNG files.  These could then be placed into a Power Point or other presentation software.

Well yeah, but MindManager can (with just one click) export to Powerpoint, using the user's predefined powerpoint template, thus having the right "look and feel" with the church/company logo, the colors etc. all in place - and that's my experience from many years ago when I had access to the full version. All the other "mindmap"-like stuff that's available free anywhere seems like a decade behind. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3688
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 3:01 PM

NewbieMick:
Well yeah, but MindManager can (with just one click) export to Powerpoint, using the user's predefined powerpoint template, thus having the right "look and feel" with the church/company logo, the colors etc. all in place - and that's my experience from many years ago when I had access to the full version. All the other "mindmap"-like stuff that's available free anywhere seems like a decade behind. 

Please direct your response to David - he needs the information.  I felt like you were starting an argument - something I will not participate in.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 448
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2011 4:33 PM

MJ. Smith:

Well, MJ I have downloaded the trial of Inspiration 9 and I must say I really like it. Choices, choices! It looks to be very refined and polished. I really wanted something I could edit on the iPad. But, it is not really necessary. Inspiration has many tools that make it powerful. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posts 28707
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2011 7:40 PM

Bill Cook:
But, it is not really necessary. Inspiration has many tools that make it powerful. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm glad you like it. It is certainly my favorite and a very good value.

Posts 448
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 8:17 PM

Ouch! Mindjet just released the new Mindmanager 2012. It is now $399. Could the non-profit version still be in the $100 range?

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS