Since we're all adults here how about we make a new rule...?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 3:10 AM | Locked

Since we are all adults here how about we do the following:

IF we have a favorite feature from v3 and we'd like to replicate its functionality in v4 instead of starting off with:

"I'm quitting! Logos v4 sucks! Followed by a 10 page diatribe about how you hate v4...

How about we phrase our questions like this?:

"Hi...I'm new to V4 and was a user of v3. Remember how you could make a specific collection in v3 in the PG and search that? Well, I cannot find the functionality in V4 so could someone help me please?"

Now....isn't that better?

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 27053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 3:36 AM | Locked

Robert Pavich:

Yes!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 21
Quipper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 4:11 AM | Locked

Well, well said. Thank you.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 4:14 AM | Locked

Robert Pavich:

IF we have a favorite feature from v3 and we'd like to replicate its functionality in v4 instead of starting off with:

"I'm quitting! Logos v4 sucks! Followed by a 10 page diatribe about how you hate v4...

"Hi...I'm new to V4 and was a user of v3. Remember how you could make a specific collection in v3 in the PG and search that? Well, I cannot find the functionality in V4 so could someone help me please?"

Amen! It's even a shame that this has to be mentioned!

Charlene

Posts 147
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:32 AM | Locked

True enough.  Also, as another thread suggested, the Help files are there for a reason...

John

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:35 AM | Locked

Robert Pavich:

I agree. At the same time I will try to be more sympathetic to the frustrations users are having adjusting to new ways and things missing.

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:38 AM | Locked

It would also help if people would watch the videos - I've learned a lot from them so far and I've only watched a third or half of the total.

Posts 76
John Crupper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:39 AM | Locked

Indeed! WWJD?

I too am used to v.3 and am missing some features (promised for later). My 2 cents on this is that v.3 was way too dated in its technology. V4 is very much where Logos needs to be heading. If Logos were to "hang tough" with what was really a very dated interface and refuse to move ahead, where would we be in 10 years when they lose business to a new upstart techno firm, fold and our investment goes down the tube.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of technological change I will fear no inconvenience for Logos is working on it.Surely updates and improvements will follow and I will bask in the debugged Logos 4 one day.

John Crupper

jcrupper@gmail.com

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:13 AM | Locked

My first favorite computer program was WordPerfect 5.1 for Dos. There are some things that it did so easily that still have not been reproduced in other programs. I remember how easy it was to make up macros. It was the last great program for Dos. But alas, WordPerfect went backwards when it created 5.1.  WordPerfect is now a small niche program. Microsoft anticipated correctly and went on to become the new standard for word processing.

I have a slow connection and it likely will take a week to upload my 4.0 files. So I am still using Logos 3.  I was in the beta program and have worked some in Logos 4. We had two different sets of visitors and I was not able to keep up with the beta downloads. I know that I will need to look for new ways to do things and that it will at times be frustrating. But I do think that for the long haul, it was a wise decision to move forward. I know there will be a few features that just won't work as easy for me, but with time I will discover alternate ways of working.

Posts 81
Jeffrey Mashaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:16 AM | Locked

John Crupper:

Yea though I walk through the valley of technological change I will fear no inconvenience for Logos is working on it.Surely updates and improvements will follow and I will bask in the debugged Logos 4 one day.

Preach it brother!

I think we should post this in big bold letters across the top of the forum pages!

Macbook Pro  |  OSX 10.6.8  |  2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 |  4 GB Ram  |  320 GB HDD

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:21 AM | Locked

Wayne W Penner:
I know that I will need to look for new ways to do things and that it will at times be frustrating. But I do think that for the long haul, it was a wise decision to move forward. I know there will be a few features that just won't work as easy for me, but with time I will discover alternate ways of working.

Now Wayne...if you're going to be reasonable, then there is no room for you here... Hmm

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:27 AM | Locked

Robert Pavich:

By most evaluations Logos is a super success story in the business world. But within the software industry even super success does not ensure survival. Some of the greatest achievements can fall like sand through the fingers if not handled with wisdom and care. I hope everyone realizes this when posting their frustrations with Logos 4. We should praise the huge list of good and pray for the company's success. Do not tear down our own house with our own hands. Do not treat anyone different than Jesus would. Without God as a partner the best creative minds are hopeless. Blair Newman was one of the greatest minds in computers but had a dismal end.

Sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until we've lost it. If we work together as Robert suggests, it will benefit everyone (including ourselves.) If we continue we may wake up in Babylon.                 Yes, Robert, that is a better idea!  Yes

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:31 AM | Locked

what a pleasure to read this thread!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:38 AM | Locked

While I agree wholeheartedly Robert, I keep trying to patiently recall how put off I and most of the rest of us in the beta group were when we first started.  I can guarantee the tone here will be different before two months are up.

Of course, long before that we should start the annual greedfest known as Christmas - that'll change the topic too ..... Confused

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:41 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:

... long before that we should start the annual greedfest known as Christmas ..... 

A most unseemly time of year on the old newsgroups...

Posts 33
Randy Butler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:46 AM | Locked

Agreed.

Also, I can't help but look at this as an object lesson in how people handle change.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:03 AM | Locked

RandyButler:
Also, I can't help but look at this as an object lesson in how people handle change.

I never read it but someone mentioned the book, "Who moved the cheese".

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:23 AM | Locked

Robert Pavich:

It would also be nice if I could read in there something like "I looked in the help file and I watched the videos, but still need help"  I can't tell you how many times I have posted the link to the videos to answer the same question over the past week.  I don't mind helping, but at least put some effort into it. Please.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:34 AM | Locked

RandyButler:

Agreed.

It is so true. I think we can get great illustrations from that experience to our teaching on change Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:40 AM | Locked

It does seem that there are some good sermon seeds in here. 

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS