Start of an index on Early Church Fathers

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 23679
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2011 1:41 PM

Rosie Perera:
Since you're apparently done now,

I wish - no the notes reflect the current state of the index. I just wanted feedback on the scope - since I have a relatively small collection I wondered what might not be on my radar yet. Thanks for the broken link. I'll get it fixed in a few minutes.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2011 4:19 PM

Updated Personal Book and image file...

4075.ECF Index.zip

Posts 8410
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 1:47 PM

MJ,

there is one thing that bugs me with your list since I bought the Catholic Library Builder: the ANF-references all point towards the protestant edition. 

Thus, most of the links in the list appear locked to me, as they point towards ANFxx while I own this resource as ANFRCxx. 

I contemplated making a duplicate of the Reading List by having Word replace all ANF with ANFRC - however, this makes the list unmanagable for the future. A better way to cope with the situation would be to have duplicate references.

Running it as a test, I included a reference from ANF into your small "Infant Baptism" list (I think it's yours since you put content into Bob's empty document) - and I put both the RC and the Protestant ANF into it - actually I just removed "RC" from the reference code and can't verify whether it works.

Thus the wiki code line looks like this: 

* [[Letter 58 >> logosres:anfrc05;ref=Cyprian.Ep._58]] / [[Letter 58 >> logosres:anf05;ref=Cyprian.Ep._58]] | Cyprian reporting on the 3rd Council of Carthago AD 253 (ANF Volume V - RC Edition / Protestant Edition)

and interestingly, it produces this neat output with two resource links in one row:

The first link will lead me to Cyprians letter, the second one (hopefully) will lead those with the protestant edition to the same place. However, to change your big list accordingly, would need some kind of macro to replace each ANF reference with itself plus its twin (or lots of manual work) - what do you think?   

Running Logos 7 latest (beta) version

Posts 23679
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 2:42 PM

Thanks for pointing this out - I like and will implement your solution. I was silly enough to think Logos would automatically switch to the Catholic version if the Protestant version didn't exist.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2675
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 2:57 PM

Thank you very much.  Very helpful.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 3:24 PM

In the interim, here is a version of MJ's index with the links changed to the Catholic version of the resources. It was easy to do a special search and replace and just change the links.

MJ if you have a later version of this TOC and want to post it here, I'll run my macro on it to update to a Catholic version until you modify the file to support both. Or maybe it's just easier to have a Catholic and Protestant version of the file, to support both sets of resources?

1184.Early Church Fathers Index.zip

Posts 8410
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 3:46 PM

Thanks Dominick,

just for completeness sake I include a document where in addition to the Ante-Nicene Fathers (ANFxx) also the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers (NPNFxx) have changed to RC version. To do this with the Reading List itself would require to synchronize all future changes to the list, that's why I refrained from doing so myself.

7220.Early Church Fathers Index_1.docx

Mick

Posts 8808
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 3:49 PM

I hate to say this, but if both links are included next to each other, the Protestant one ought to be put first. Far more people have that version, and they will only be confused if they end up on a page saying 'You don't have this resource'. Plus we can do without the debate ensuing if certain people find out the Catholic link is first. 

However, remember Logos is working on an update to the ECF. These links may change in the near (or far...) future, in order to function like MJ (and I) thought they did.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8410
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 4:01 PM

fgh:

I hate to say this, but if both links are included next to each other, the Protestant one ought to be put first. Far more people have that version, and they will only be confused if they end up on a page saying 'You don't have this resource'.

I just turned them around in the "Infant Baptism" Reading list. The only drawback for me is that there is now a locked symbol where I could check off before. I get your rationale that most users will have the protestant version, that's fine for me.

OT: Sometimes I wondered, are the intros really so bad (and so worthless in terms of giving background to writers, circumstances, document preservation etc), that Catholics had to be protected from reading them? Maybe I'll check them out at CCEL or so.

Posts 23679
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 4:34 PM

NewbieMick:
Catholics had to be protected from reading them?

Not really. While occasionally they get a bit bizarre, so does Harnack's History of Dogma.  That doesn't keep me from reading it. I'm much more concerned about the editing down of books without making it clear that you're only getting part of the book. Augustine on the Psalm is the one I really wish was complete.

Posts 505
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 9 2012 11:31 AM

While eating my lunch and surfing through your index, I came across a gem of a quote that will be helpful in a class I'm teaching on the making of the Bible:

When Irenaeus nearly completed writing a book against the Gnostics entitled, “On the Ogdoad" (a work no longer extant), he makes the following remark, cited by Eusebius in his Church History, that illustrates the solemn responsibility of copyists to accurately transcribe documents:

“I ADJURE thee, who shalt transcribe this book, by our Lord Jesus Christ, and by His glorious appearing, when He comes to judge the living and the dead, that thou compare what thou hast transcribed, and be careful to set it right according to this copy from which thou hast transcribed; also, that thou in like manner copy down this adjuration, and insert it in the transcript.”

Posts 1486
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 1:29 PM

NB.Mick:

Thus the wiki code line looks like this: 

* [[Letter 58 >> logosres:anfrc05;ref=Cyprian.Ep._58]] / [[Letter 58 >> logosres:anf05;ref=Cyprian.Ep._58]] | Cyprian reporting on the 3rd Council of Carthago AD 253 (ANF Volume V - RC Edition / Protestant Edition)

I had not been following this thread and probably should have...  Anyway, I have found that for reading lists we can have something like the following:

* [[Letter 58 >> logosref:Cyprian.Ep._58]] | Cyprian reporting on the 3rd Council of Carthage AD 253

This will take you to your preferred source of this - ECF Protestant, ECF Catholic, Fathers of the Church, whatever.  The thing is that it does not tell you which items on the reading list you do NOT have, nor create a link to purchase it.  That said, I have edited quite a few reading lists to have logosref links instead of logosres links.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.