Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:42 AM

I searched the forum and didn't find answers to this, though I've seen some mentioning that iPad users could carry the whole Logos library with them.

Can I do the same for Android?  Is it possible to copy resource files from PC to SD-card for use with Android version?

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 21999
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:46 AM

Hi Timothy

Yes, this is possible, but not as a direct copy from the PC to SD card, you need to use the Android app.

Open your library on the Android app, find the resource you want to download and press the arrow icon on the far right of the screen.

Then press the Download button

Repeat for all the resources you want to download

Graham

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:52 AM

Thanks, Graham, I do use offline resources in Android app.  But doing that - downloading by arrow button - one by one is too slow (though I would be more focused in reading with a small set of resources on device).

Recently, I was reminded of the lack of this feature when I wanted to have everything "Philippians" on the device, and could not even do "select all" in Library search results and then "download all" for that.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 21999
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 9:22 AM

Sorry, I wasn't aware you were looking for a "bulk download" feature.

I agree it would be useful but isn't currently available on either the iPad or Android platforms.

Graham

Posts 1
Matthew Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:51 PM

What would be useful is a clear indication of how much space each book download would take, so I can manage my memory better.

Logos rocks! Android app rocks !!

Posts 25045
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 8:54 AM

Matthew Thomas:
What would be useful is a clear indication of how much space each book download would take,

The download consists of the Logos4 resource + TOC + Milestone Index data. The TOC/Index data is 1.5 - 2.0 MB for my bibles, commentaries, & lexicons but it is 9.9 MB for MW Dict v11!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 174
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 3 2011 1:35 PM

Does anyone know if Logos publishes a list of coming features for android?

I'm especially curious if they're planning to allow a bulk download and when smooth scrolling is coming?

Posts 25045
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 3 2011 1:54 PM

Derek Browning:
Does anyone know if Logos publishes a list of coming features for android?

There is a FAQ thread at the top of the forum.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 8:26 PM

Timothy Ha:
Thanks, Graham, I do use offline resources in Android app.  But doing that - downloading by arrow button - one by one is too slow (though I would be more focused in reading with a small set of resources on device).

This is why, with much regret, I stopped using the Logos app for Android. Other Bible apps perform much faster, and the process of transferring resources to your device is not only simpler but also faster and can be performed in bulk. Even 3G can't compete with the speed of an offline resource, and until resources can be downloaded in bulk the Logos library will remain on my desktop, not on my Android device.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 74
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2011 8:02 AM

Hi, my name is Stephen, I have an Android phone,
I use it 'wifi' canna afford the tariffs. I have tried in
vain to download books so that they're available
off-line. How do I download my Library? 'Silver'

I did have one book that gave me the choice, some
allow for download, I have check see if will allow
the download page, I'll be there all day! most of the
books I'd like don't reveal download option, is this
for real?

Thanks

Stephen

Posts 21999
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2011 8:25 AM

Hi Stephen - and welcome to the forums.

Some people have reported problems in downloading resources to Android devices but, assuming they are visible in the library, they should be downloadable.

Can you list some of the items you are trying to download and - if I have them - I'll check whether I can download them on my Android phone.

Please note that, at the moment, each resource does need to be downloaded individually although we have been told that Logos are working on providing a better solution to this.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 120
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2011 11:18 PM

I agree some sort of bulk download feature would be helpful.   I may not want all my resources, but the ability to download a series (like UBS translator's handbooks) at once instead of each individual book would be helpful.  

Then after sorting is added, the library will finally be manageable.

Posts 1
David Snider | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 5:59 AM

I don't see a download button!!! This has become very frustrating to me as an old E-Bible user. I just can't see getting rid of E-Bible to "upgrade" to Logos when it looks like I lose functionality! 

Posts 21999
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 6:11 AM

Hi David - and welcome to the forums

David Snider:
I don't see a download button!!!

Have you tried the steps I outlined above in http://community.logos.com/forums/p/38558/288474.aspx#288474?

If so, what doesn't work?

Graham

Posts 21
A W Ward | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 2:30 PM

Hello Jonathan, How are you? I was wondering what other bible programs you have found to work better for Android? Thanks

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 9 2012 6:04 AM

A W Ward:
Hello Jonathan, How are you? I was wondering what other bible programs you have found to work better for Android? Thanks

I would rather not name them specifically, out of respect for the spirit of the forum guidelines. But basically any program which loads resources from your device's memory is going to be significantly faster at opening and searching resources than Logos 4 for Android, and won't have the inconvenience of having to download resources from the cloud one by one if you want them to run faster. Every other Bible program I've used for Android also lets you simply transfer the resources by USB or wifi from your desktop to your device.

For speed and convenience, Logos 4 for Android is simply not a competitive product; it's not even in the running. It won't be until resources can be downloaded to the device en masse, and run locally. The speed of a Logos index is completely wasted when you have to access it by remote over a 3G or wifi connection.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 25045
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 9 2012 7:31 PM

Jonathan Burke:
Every other Bible program I've used for Android also lets you simply transfer the resources by USB or wifi from your desktop to your device.

That would be very convenient and I hope Logos will provide that facility.

Jonathan Burke:
The speed of a Logos index is completely wasted when you have to access it by remote over a 3G or wifi connection.

The issue is that a Logos index requires a lot of computer power and space to build, something which a phone/tablet could not handle. That primarily is why the Index is on a Logos server. It can also run more complex Library searches faster than you could on a phone, which may not have the space to store a complete set of results, let alone perform the search. I'm not certain what will be provided with an offline Search (see Forum FAQ) but I'll be surprised if we can do a full cross-library search.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 10 2012 7:06 AM

Dave Hooton:
The issue is that a Logos index requires a lot of computer power and space to build, something which a phone/tablet could not handle.

That's why it would be an excellent idea if the index could be compiled on the user's desktop computer in a format readable by the portable device, and transferred.

Posts 21999
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 10 2012 7:27 AM

Hi Jonathan

Jonathan Burke:
That's why it would be an excellent idea if the index could be compiled on the user's desktop computer in a format readable by the portable device, and transferred.

I guess one of the problems is "what should be indexed?"

Is it a subset of resources, the ones that have been downloaded or something else?

Graham

EDIT: Looking at my Logos4 index files it looks as though the total index size of my library is about 5MB. This is on a library much smaller than many. So an index of a full library could be a problem for some mobile devices.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:12 AM

Graham Criddle:
I guess one of the problems is "what should be indexed?"

Is it a subset of resources, the ones that have been downloaded or something else?

It could be the entire library if the desktop is doing the indexing. If the resources in the index haven't all been downloaded to the device, that wouldn't matter. The mobile version of Logos 4 could simply inform the user 'This resource has not been transferred to your device', or else check the mobile device's Logos 4 data folder after searching the index, and only display hits for those resources which are on the device.

Graham Criddle:
EDIT: Looking at my Logos4 index files it looks as though the total index size of my library is about 5MB. This is on a library much smaller than many. So an index of a full library could be a problem for some mobile devices.

My entire data folder is 27GB, but my index is only 6GB. That would fit very easily on my device's microSD card.

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS