Logos needs a cheaper entry point

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 26 2011 7:51 AM

What about a package with just two or three Bible versions with parallel versions, one OT and one NT theological dictionary, and two original languages versions (maybe BHS and one other thing) for around $300? Most of the seminary students I know are buying Bibleworks simply because they can afford the $250 price level, but not the $450/$500 price level.

Thoughts?

Russ

Posts 379
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:08 AM

I agree Russ, if they could put together $100-150 package (that would bring most or all of the bottons alive) I think alot people would even gift alot of packages.  And also it seems to me that their are alot of people with large libary collections, it can become addicting.

Matt

Posts 10435
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:09 AM

Agree. I entered with the OL package at about $300 or so. Never upgraded and have enough Logos resources to buy a small new car.

I know this is super-opinionated, but Logos isn't doing people any favors by pushing the 'serious' entry package prices up.

Getting college students started with 'Logos' will save them money in the long term (and make a lot of money for Logos too).

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:11 AM

The Christian home library is $149.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:18 AM

The problem is the Christian Home Library isn't usable for a seminary student, so it doesn't compete with BibleWorks... What's needed is something without any of the commentaries and other books, and just original languages. Even the OL set has too much in it. Most folks in seminary approach software from the point of the original languages, not for the pastoral resources. If this were available at the $200-$300 price point, I could give away five-ten copies of this a year to co-students at my seminary, and make a lot of Logos converts. As it is, it's hard to argue with "Bibleworks is cheap, and it has serious original language tools, and I don't care about the long term process of building a library."

:-)

Russ

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:30 AM

Russ White:

The problem is the Christian Home Library isn't usable for a seminary student, so it doesn't compete with BibleWorks... Russ

Have you called Logos, they have an academic discount if I understand correctly..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:39 AM

The academic pricing still includes too much/is too expensive --in fact, without the academic pricing, the minimal package for a seminary student for original language work would be around $600, if I remember right. But it would include lots of commentary and pastoral "stuff," the student primarily focused on original languages isn't going to want/need.

The point is to get them hooked, and then let them build a library.

Russ

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:51 AM

Mathew Haferkamp:
I agree Russ, if they could put together $100-150 package (that would bring most or all of the bottons alive) I think alot people would even gift alot of packages.  And also it seems to me that their are alot of people with large libary collections, it can become addicting.   Matt

I would love to gift a basic Original Languages package to every Bible student I know. (Wish I were rich.) After they see what Logos can do and what resources are available, I am sure their appreciation will grow. It will lock in many life-long users.

Another benefit of a basic Original Languages package is it will be easier to get recommendations from denominational schools if the basic package does not include resources the school feels are bad theology. Not many denominations are against Bible study in original languages.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 9:10 AM

Russ White:

The academic pricing still includes too much/is too expensive --in fact, without the academic pricing, the minimal package for a seminary student for original language work would be around $600, if I remember right. But it would include lots of commentary and pastoral "stuff," the student primarily focused on original languages isn't going to want/need.

The point is to get them hooked, and then let them build a library.

Russ

Have you considered a payment plan? I would definitely call Logos and see if something can be worked out in regards to the cost. It does not hurt to try. It might bring some added benefits to your students and the rest of us.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 10633
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 9:37 AM

Russ White:
Most of the seminary students I know are buying Bibleworks simply because they can afford the $250 price level, but not the $450/$500 price level.

This seems to be a regularly scheduled thread, as it appears in one form or another every couple of months. I still do not see how a watered-down Logos package would increase market share in the long run. If a potential user bases his/her purchase decisions solely upon initial cost, they are unlikely to ever upgrade. The stripped down package will not allow the user to really see the power of Logos.

I am reminded of the John Ruskin quote: 

“There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”

BTW: The star has nothing to do with my comment. This is my personal opinion. You get what you pay for.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 9:44 AM

Russ White:
without the academic pricing, the minimal package for a seminary student for original language work would be around $600, if I remember right

You don't. Original Languages is currently at $415.95. The Academic Discount is what? 20%? 25%? 30%? Either case you end up around $300, i e pretty exactly what you were willing to pay, and for that you get more than 10 times more books than you suggested (do you seriously want your seminary students to go without lexicons and grammars?).

OLL is the best value package they've got! To pay $300 for what you suggest, on the other hand, would be the worst. I wouldn't pay even $100 for that. It sounds to me like it's time for you to revisit the OLL product page. Wink

(And, btw, if Logos is compulsory, I think the discount is 50%, which would even make it cheaper than BibleWorks.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 22208
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 9:50 AM

Just done a quick check

OLL with Academic Discount is currently at $291.17.

Graham

Posts 1397
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 10:20 AM

Technically speaking, no package is needed to use Logos, so the entry is quite low. I started with the Anchor Bible Dictionary.

I've been on Logos for 7 years and still don't own a package.... Of course, I started with Bibleworks and still use it, but that wasn't a choice, really. At the time, I was only aware of Bibleworks and some other competitor that I believe has disappeared.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 11:26 AM

Graham Criddle:
OLL with Academic Discount is currently at $291.17.

Russ White:
What about a package with just two or three Bible versions with parallel versions, one OT and one NT theological dictionary, and two original languages versions (maybe BHS and one other thing) for around $300?

So, you're willing to pay $300 for less than 10 resources, but you're not willing to pay $291.17 for nearly 300 resources, including the ones in your $300 package? Did I get that right?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 12
Ingo Sorke | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 1:13 PM

I need Platinum but could do without half of what's in Platinum . . . plus a few extra resources, and I'm quickly at >$1,200 after academic discount - too high to jump in at this point. OLL misses too many essentials, including some basic English translations.

Ingo

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 3:52 PM

fgh:

Russ White:
without the academic pricing, the minimal package for a seminary student for original language work would be around $600, if I remember right

You don't. Original Languages is currently at $415.95. The Academic Discount is what? 20%? 25%? 30%? Either case you end up around $300, i e pretty exactly what you were willing to pay, and for that you get more than 10 times more books than you suggested (do you seriously want your seminary students to go without lexicons and grammars?).

OLL is the best value package they've got! To pay $300 for what you suggest, on the other hand, would be the worst. I wouldn't pay even $100 for that. It sounds to me like it's time for you to revisit the OLL product page. Wink

(And, btw, if Logos is compulsory, I think the discount is 50%, which would even make it cheaper than BibleWorks.)

After getting a Library Builder and a few small Libronix packages for a few years I got into OLL for just over $300.  If you get that upfront and get BDAG/HALOT on a payment plan how much more can one need for beginning his/her language work?  I would think the only potential "gotcha" would be any required grammars that might not be included as part of the OLL package but those shouldn't be that expensive.  Since I'm not in seminary I would defer to anyone who is going through or has gone through the experience, obviously. 

Posts 2330
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 4:26 PM

The logic that Logos uses is that serious users are willing to spend more. That's not entirely true, but price perceptions do run deep. I had a MacArthurLogos  library, a Pradis library, eSword, Online Bible, and WordSearch on my drive at one point. I also had Accordance on the Mac. Now I did have a modest investment in all of them. What drove me to Logos is that Logos was the only company that seemed to really get it in terms of a readily usable program and supports it.

In the end, the price is almost irrelevant because you will probably find the same people who go to something cheaper probably spend more money at Starbucks than the cost of having Logos. Divide the cost per day of Logos versus a couple of coffees at Starbucks for a wake-up evaluation

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS