Is there a Logos 4 lite?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 9
Sally Bruce | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 27 2011 8:52 AM

For my laptop and netbook I basically only use the Bibles, Greek and Hebrew, and a couple of good commentaries. Would limiting the resources used speed up my older computers (I really like Logos 4 over Logos 3) with Windows xp OS? If so, what would be the best way to accomplish that?

Thanks in advance.

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 9:22 AM

Hi Sally - 

It is my understanding that if you "hide" resources, it removes them from all installations. Hopefully someone will correct me soon if I am wrong.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9
Sally Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 9:35 AM

But will doing that speed up the system?

Posts 688
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 10:26 AM

I don't think it will speed up the system, except for indexing and that only happens once (or at least seldom).

I would like the ability to have a smaller install though for different reasons - space. I don't use Logos on my old laptop very often, but once in awhile I do. It just does not have the space. I wish I could put a minimal install as the Sally has described above.

For your purposes Sally, I don't think you would see any speed difference.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 10:51 AM

You might look in the Logos wikis for ways to make your Logos installation more suited to a slower computer. 

Look at all the stuff you have on your computer that serves no current purpose but runs on startup. Freeing up memory in this way is very helpful. If you defrag your hard drive, everything will run faster. I use Defraggler which is free. 

My computer wouldn't startup several months ago and I had to reinstall everything. In doing just that, my computer was a lot more responsive. It was an awful lot of work(make that really awful), but I find that it ran much faster as a result. It's a last resort, but it was even better than new when I finished. If you find that difficult, get someone nearby to help you. It's a bit tough if you've never done it.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 11:27 AM

Sally Bruce:
But will doing that speed up the system?

Sally - 

My point is that why would you want to eliminate resources on a faster/newer computer so that you can speed up an older one? It looks like it is time for you to bite the bullet and get a new computer. Windows XP is 10 years old, after all.

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 11:42 AM

Sally,

You might want to look into biblia.com as an option for those machines. It requires an Internet connection but if you log in using your Logos user email you'll have access to all your resources. You won't have the functionality of Logos 4 (only basic searches are allowed) but you can read your Bible and books. Otherwise you'll need to accept the slowness or upgrade.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9
Sally Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 12:00 PM

I don't want to eliminate resources on my desktop--that is where I do my serious studying. I use my older laptops for reading and referencing when I am away from home. They work well and meet my needs in every other way.   Oh, did I mention that I still drive an Edsel?!!! ;o)

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 12:05 PM

Sally Bruce:
I don't want to eliminate resources on my desktop--that is where I do my serious studying.

The point of my original post was to warn you against removing resources:

alabama24:
It is my understanding that if you "hide" resources, it removes them from all installations.

In other words, if you take the files off your laptop, you will eliminate them from your desktop. At least, that is my current understanding.

Sally Bruce:
did I mention that I still drive an Edsel?!!! ;o)

That would be cool. Smile

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 4:12 PM

Sally Bruce:
I don't want to eliminate resources on my desktop--that is where I do my serious studying. I use my older laptops for reading and referencing when I am away from home.

A possible solution is to get an iPhone or Android mobile phone and install Logos (limited functions)  or Vyrso (Logos reader). See the forums with those names.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 4:39 PM

As far as I can tell this is a huge weakness of the mobile app.  There is no way I can figure out how to hide any resources, so if you have a more extensive package for use on your desktop you will get it all, at least if online, if offline, you don't get much.

I have also experimented with hiding resources.  Yes it sync to other PC's (e.g. if I hide them on laptop, they also become hidden on desktop) by removing the products from your hard drive, but does not affect the mobile app at all.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 6:28 PM

Found an old netbook success thread discussion => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3636/28383.aspx#28383

Hiding possibility for older laptops:

1. Set Use Internet to No (turn off syncing)
  2. Set Automatic Downloads to No
  3. Hide resources on older laptops
  4. Restart Logos 4 (to delete hidden resources)
  5. Unhide all resources (queue resources for download)
  6. Set Use Internet to Yes (turn on syncing for reading plans, etc)

For future resource updates and additions, could copy resource files (including compiled Personal Books) from desktop to notebook (USB drive), then use scan command on notebook (to copy from USB drive into Logos 4 folder and index). 

Note: with resources queued to download, would avoid update now and update resources commands and leave Automatic Downloads set to No.

For program updates, could manually download Logos4setup.exe and install.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 7:15 PM

Dale Garman:
As far as I can tell this is a huge weakness of the mobile app.  There is no way I can figure out how to hide any resources, so if you have a more extensive package for use on your desktop you will get it all, at least if online, if offline, you don't get much.

The mobile Library will list all books for which you have a licence provided they are also licensed for mobile devices (the Logos web site's resource page will show where it works), but they do not reside on the device unless downloaded. You can download any book for access offline + quick access online --> just click the arrow key in Library.

I can't find any of my resources that are hidden on desktop (e.g. The Targums, which are available to mobile devices). So it's good to have my useful resources available for download and there is no indexing overhead!

Dale Garman:
I have also experimented with hiding resources.  Yes it sync to other PC's (e.g. if I hide them on laptop, they also become hidden on desktop) by removing the products from your hard drive, but does not affect the mobile app at all.

Apart from the initial sync when installing Logos, syncing to mobile devices is poor. Expect improvements with the next major release of Logos4 (v4.5 as v4.4 is skipped).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 103
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 9:25 AM

Lots of good suggestions. 

If you are still reading Sally to me the best answer is for you to create your own layout (Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide) using the few resources/panels you want for study.  This should improve performance, especially depending how you set things up with respect to links and options.  For example, within your customized Exegetical Guide you could turn off the automatic word anaylsis of the passage you are study, and instead click on the Greek or Hebrew word when needed.

Provided your machine is reasonable with regards to hardware, and you are managing your OS well, a streamlined Logos interface should help.

Regards

Posts 39
Josh Neighbors | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 2:38 PM

Hey Sally,

It's been a couple of weeks since you asked this question, so you've probably already settled on a solution.

I'm still using a really old laptop with XP on it, and have been able to use Logos 4 with full functionality. Here's how:

If you have a desktop computer where L4 works well, install a program like LogMeIn on both it and your netbook. Then, make sure that when you want to study on your laptop that you have an internet connection. Go to Logmein and open up your desktop computer. Then you'll be able to use the entire functionality of L4 on your laptop, even with XP.

If you're taking notes with a separate application, saving those notes to the cloud (like dropbox or skydrive) will assure that you're able to access those notes on any device (with the internet connection).

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS