Using external storage

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 46
Leo Rajiv Michael | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 30 2011 12:24 AM

Hello there,

I'm running Logos 4.3 on my Mac Air and while it's not yet a problem, I think it might soon be regarding storage on the mac; I was wondering if it was possible to relocate some of the files (one's I don't use regularly) to an external hard disk which I could connect as needed ?

If that's not possible, would it be safe to at least remove the files I don't need at the moment (I'm particularly thinking of the coming 800 MB Perseus download which I won't have much use for immediately but hope to use with my study of NT Greek in the future) - would it be possible to move identify and move these files to an external disk for now and then put them back in when I need them and run the indexer or something?

Thanks in advance!

Leo

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2011 4:03 AM

If you go to: Tools > Program Settings > and then drag any library resources you don't plan on using to the "Hidden Resources" window - this will remove the relevant resources from local storage on your computer (and thus free up hard drive space.)

This will stop these resources appearing in your library and any searches, etc.  However, this doesn't mean you have to buy the relevant resources all over again!  If in the future you want to use those Hidden Resources, I believe you simply undo the above process (by clicking on the X next to the relevant resource to remove it from the Hidden Resources list) and restart Logos and update your library.

Using this method, Logos effectively stores these resources for you in the cloud, rather than on an external hard drive.  Hope this helps.

Posts 29796
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2011 4:17 AM

Leo - 

Paul is right in that you can hide resources. Be aware, however, that this removes them from ALL installations. In other words, if you remove something from your laptop, it is removed from your desktop as well. 

If you don't mind me asking, how large is your HD? Are there other things you can put on the cloud to free up space for Logos? Also, you should know that your performance will be hindered by having a FULL HD. I prefer to always have at least 25% of my HD free. Is your MBAir HD upgradeable?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2011 9:31 AM

alabama24:
Paul is right in that you can hide resources. Be aware, however, that this removes them from ALL installations. In other words, if you remove something from your laptop, it is removed from your desktop as well. 

With default Logos 4 settings, concur hiding resources is sync'd to other Logos 4 installations.

Hiding possibility for MacBook Air (to delete resources locally, but not sync deletion):

1. Set Use Internet to No (turn off syncing)
  2. Set Automatic Downloads to No
  3. Hide resources on MacBook Air
  4. Restart Logos 4 Mac (to delete hidden resources)
  5. Unhide all resources (queue resources for download)
  6. Set Use Internet to Yes (turn on syncing for reading plans, etc)

For future resource updates and additions, could copy resource files (including compiled Personal Books) from desktop to notebook (USB drive), then use scan command on notebook (to copy from USB drive into Logos 4 folder and index). 

Note: with resources queued to download, would avoid update now and update resources commands and leave Automatic Downloads set to No.

For program updates, could manually download Logos 4 Mac and install, wiki Mac Troubleshooting => Update Error – Want to manually update application

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 46
Leo Rajiv Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2011 3:49 PM

Hello there,

Thanks for the replies! I kind of knew that you could download stuff again from Logos if something was lost but wasn't aware of the hidden resources feature, so thanks for that.

However, it kind of doesn't solve the problem with respect to the Perseus offering I think? Think they're planning on removing it from the servers after that, so if you hide/remove it, you don't get it again! 

About the Mac details, am using a Mac air with 120 GB drive. It's reaching about 70GB now. Yes, was concerned about that (< 25%) free space. Not immediately a problem for space but with the size of some of the updates, thinking I'll run out quite quickly!

Posts 46
Leo Rajiv Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2011 3:50 PM

And no, I don't think it's HD upgradeable :-( hence the need for external storage!

Posts 29796
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2011 4:19 PM

Leo - 

I think that your original question threw me. You can't put some of your files on an external hard drive... but you could put the entire installation on one.

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2011 6:55 PM

The MacBook Air hard drive is upgradeable, however, it's a rather expensive upgrade.  If you're interested in upgrading, go to http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDAPE6G240/.   External storage would certainly be more economical.

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2011 8:31 PM

Leo,

My computer is a bit older with a smaller hard drive than computers now. So, recently I deleted LBS and reinstalled it on my external hard drive. That external hard drive is always connect to my computer so I just consider it part of the system. Now, my LBS and all the resources I own is on that external drive. The only problem with this is my logs don't work like they use to for when it crashes. But I'm not concerned about that. So, if you are concerned about space. Just get a big external drive and put the entire package you own on there. If you plan on getting a ton of resources then I suggest getting a big drive. Since I have moved my software to the external drive I have had no problems with crashes yet.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 2:25 AM

A couple more simple thoughts/suggestions:

I think Perseus will take up about 1GB (give or take)* of storage based on comments I've seen from those who have downloaded it.  If you want to avoid your logos library set-up becoming complicated by messing around with external storage, perhaps you should download Perseus as normal and look to see if there are any other resources in your library you could send to the "Hidden Resources" window - which you know you will be able to easily download when needed.

Another option - is your hard drive filled with lots of photos, or music, etc. which you could put on an external hard drive and which are likely to be easier to manage than your logos library on external storage?

The comment by Matthew Hamrick about crashes would worry me about outsourcing your whole library. Computers can be unreliable enough as it is - I wouldn't want to give it more reasons to let you down!!!

[* This also depends on how many Perseus collections you ordered!]

Posts 15
Stephan de Wit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 3:01 AM

Hi Leo,

How can I put my entire installation to an external drive op a mac?

Greetings,
Stephan

(The Netherlands) 

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 4:35 AM

Leo Rajiv Michael:

However, it kind of doesn't solve the problem with respect to the Perseus offering I think? Think they're planning on removing it from the servers after that, so if you hide/remove it, you don't get it again! 

You'll get it again. Removal is only temporary.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 29796
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 5:13 AM

Stephan - 

I must backtrack a bit on my comment that it is possible to put the entire installation on an external drive. The engine itself resides in your applications folder. This, however, is only a tiny part of the Logos installation (~200mb). Your Library is much larger (mine is 14.5 GB). The problem is that Logos needs to be installed in the user account with the following path: /Users/username/Library/ApplicationSupport/Logos 4. 

In order to have your Logos installation on an external hard drive, you would need to have your user account on an external hard drive as well. I know that this is possible, but unfortunately I have not done so to give you specific directions. It may require that the entire bootable OS is also on the external hard drive. 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 7:44 AM

Leo Rajiv Michael:

As noted above, it's only a temporary removal. Also, all that's temporarily removed is the possibility to order Perseus. It's not removed form their servers. In fact, the reason you can't order them right now is because those very servers are already working like mad trying to deliver Perseus to everyone who's waiting for it, and can't handle any new orders until that's done. 

According to everything they've promised us, no resources should ever be removed from their servers. Even books that aren't sold anymore should be there. People regularly post here about old Libronix CDs -- which don't work on Mac -- with things that are no longer sold by Logos, and once they've called or e-mailed Logos with the license number they download just fine. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 46
Leo Rajiv Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 11:35 AM

Hello All,

Thanks so much for the help! It's a bit of a relief to know that Perseus will be available again and it's not a permanent removal! Heck, I didn't even know that the HD was upgradeable on my Mac!

I do have some 20GB of music on my system which can go if it gets a bit crowded, was just considering options. Ideally i'd have everything I use most in one place but Logos is priority #1.

Good learning! Thanks so much everyone!

Leo

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:04 PM

Stephan de Wit:
How can I put my entire installation to an external drive op a mac?

Welcome Big Smile

Logos 4 Mac can be dragged into desired folder.  Personally have Logos 4 Mac application in my Documents folder (beta versions) since stable Logos 4 Mac version is in Applications folder.

Forum discussion => Install on SSD has one example for placing Logos4 folder on a different volume: caution: configuration not supported by Logos.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 29796
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 4:41 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Personally have Logos 4 Mac application in my Documents folder (beta versions) since stable Logos 4 Mac version is in Applications folder.

KS4J - 

Question: Does this mean when 4.5 beta comes out (hopefully this week!) that I can manually download the beta app, put it into a different folder (i.e. "beta applications") and run both stable & beta in the same account? Are my resources able to sit in the same location and be utilized by both installations?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 9:25 AM

alabama24:

Personally have Logos 4 Mac application in my Documents folder (beta versions) since stable Logos 4 Mac version is in Applications folder.

KS4J - 

Question: Does this mean when 4.5 beta comes out (hopefully this week!) that I can manually download the beta app, put it into a different folder (i.e. "beta applications") and run both stable & beta in the same account? Are my resources able to sit in the same location and be utilized by both installations?

On one Mac, can use stable Logos 4 Mac  for one user and use beta Logos 4 Mac as a different user (be careful about running both at same time due to sync lag time surprises).   While application can be dragged to desired folder, both beta and stable look for same Logos4 folder location in user's home directory, hence need different Mac users to run both stable & beta (with same Logos account).  Option: modify home folder permissions so can download resource(s) to one installation, then use scan command to copy resource(s) to other installation (that has automatic downloads turned off).  To run beta and stable, need 2 Logos4 folders (with resources and indexing).  Once Beta application has opened Logos 4 database files, internal version number is incremented so stable Logos 4 Mac cannot use those files (quits after checking database version).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 29796
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 10:04 AM

both beta and stable look for same Logos4 folder location in user's home directory, hence need different Mac users to run both stable & beta

Just to be clear: Does Logos both read and write to (/Users/username/Library/ApplicationSupport/Logos 4)? Is that where note files / preferences, etc. are kept? Or is it just where the book resources are stored?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 10:16 AM

alabama24:

both beta and stable look for same Logos4 folder location in user's home directory, hence need different Mac users to run both stable & beta

Just to be clear: Does Logos both read and write to (/Users/username/Library/ApplicationSupport/Logos 4)? Is that where note files / preferences, etc. are kept? Or is it just where the book resources are stored?

Logos does read, write, and sync stuff in /Users/username/Library/ApplicationSupport/Logos4 folder (where notes, highlighting, preferences, ... are kept in SQLite database files in various folders).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS