Perseus

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 36
William Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 7:39 AM

I had ordered on the 12th of August at 11 am and only received the one Classic Download.  Still waiting for the rest.  So, it doesnt look like they are going in the order as we had ordered them.  Nor by Alphabetical order.  Wonder how they are fulfilling the orders?

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 8:09 AM

Rusty Davidson:

So, for the rest of us who continue to wait for even a hint of a download, could you who have received it, share with us when you pre-ordered?

I pre-ordered early on Aug 13th (less than 24 hours after announcement.)

I ordered even before it was announced.  I was watching the pre-pub page like a hawk.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 8:38 AM

William Middleton:

I had ordered on the 12th of August at 11 am and only received the one Classic Download.  Still waiting for the rest.  So, it doesnt look like they are going in the order as we had ordered them.  Nor by Alphabetical order.  Wonder how they are fulfilling the orders?

Placing a list on a dart board then throwing darts (blindfolded).  Big Smile  I think I have everything now (Knock, knock -- ouch!  My head may be wood, but it still hurts).  The only problem I have is that I'm going to have trouble organizing such a large download of books all at once.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 28983
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 1:14 PM

William Middleton:

Logos keeps their word so I believe that people are entering the queue in the order in which the orders were received. However, I would guess that after the first set downloads you are put back in the queue at "the next available position" As different individuals have different download rates, when later sets would become more and more unpredictable ("random"). I would also expect that the individuals upgrading their base packages and buying new resources are pushed ahead of those waiting for more Perseus.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10
Charles Reeder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 2:12 PM

Received mine yesterday.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 2:37 PM

Rusty Davidson:
could you who have received it, share with us when you pre-ordered?

I am guessing there are a lot of factors involved in the whole process. I got my order in immediately after it posted on the Pre-Pub page. I placed my wife's order immediately after I got mine in. Big Smile My internet download speeds are usually blazing fast. The Perseus downloads are noticeably slower. I'm inclined to think there is a data transfer speed cap being imposed on the server end.

I finally got my downloads completed last night. My wife has just received the second download today. I recall Dan Pritchett say (on Twitter, I think) there were over three hundred orders placed for Perseus in the first half-hour. I'm sure the order rate slowed down as time went on but the first day or two would amount to a huge backlog of files to be delivered.

I am glad we were not asked to pay for even the electronic delivery of these resources. Logos has been very generous regarding these Perseus titles.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 3:05 PM

Super Tramp:
Logos has been very generous regarding these Perseus titles.

Amen !

george
gfsomsel

Posts 75
Rusty Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 3:11 PM

This is a VERY generous thing that Logos is doing. They have always been great to talk to and work with about anything. That is one reason I have been a Libronix/Logos user for over 10 years now. 

I am excited about the Perseus Collections and look forward to when I finally arrive in the queue! (Cannot be fast enough, but am satisfied with Logos and use it almost every day!)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 4:42 PM

WoW, things are moving along now. My wife's account got the Civil War stuff this afternoon. It was a rather large chunk of data (due to Brady's photographs?) yet it downloaded quickly.

I originally thought it would save time to wait on everything to become available before downloading any of it; then have it all index in one fell swoop. I now believe the downloads are somehow triggered sequentially. In other words, begin your download as soon as you have something new available.  Once that has downloaded, you're placed back in the cue for the next download. 

However the process really works, it is beneficial to all involved to be quick about getting our own turn processed so those waiting can get their turn quicker. Coffee

~ this is all conjecture on my part. Stick out tongue I just love posting disclaimers.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 669
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2011 1:08 AM

I have ordered all of the collections. When I went to update it said I had 500+ mb to download. It downloaded Socrates in Greek and then indexed and said I had a little less mb to download. I downloaded and it gave me Socrates in English and indexed. Now I can't get it to show anything else to download. Surely those two books are 500+ mb.

Posts 669
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2011 1:16 AM

It just said I had 556 mb in updates to download. I clicked download. 5 seconds later it told me it had downloaded and started indexing. This time I received minor works (greek) and that's it. Isn't this supposed to download a whole collection at a time not one book?

Posts 669
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2011 1:15 PM

Logos 4, latest build, still only downloads one work at a time, asks for a restart and then indexes. Very annoying and time consuming. Thanks.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2011 1:38 PM

Michael Lyman:
Logos 4, latest build, still only downloads one work at a time, asks for a restart and then indexes. Very annoying and time consuming. Thanks.

Perhaps you should start a new thread ? Name it "Bug - Perseus download problems" etc.

this might get the attention of the "techi's"?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:45 PM

Michael Lyman:
Logos 4, latest build, still only downloads one work at a time, asks for a restart and then indexes.

Strange behavior, indeed. I think the rest of us have experienced this as one or more large downloads, not single resources.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 63
Jim Dunne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 6:14 PM

I was late to the party signing up for Perseus - still haven't seen anything.  Is there any ETA or progress information available?

Thanks,

Jim D.

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 6:21 PM

Jim Dunne:
Is there any ETA or progress information available?

Not that any of us have seen. It has taken a long time for Logos to push these resources out to those who've already received them. I wouldn't be surprised that you might be waiting a couple more weeks, but we have no info to go on to estimate that. Maybe someone from Logos can give us an update.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 7:45 PM

Were we supposed to get the Greek of Thucydides' The Peloponnesian War?  I have English versions, but no Greek.  The file is on the Perseus site.  Did anyone get it? — the Greek text.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 7:48 PM

George, I imagine the answer to your question will be the same and the answer to mine here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/39003.aspx

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 8:16 PM

Brian Davidson:

George, I imagine the answer to your question will be the same and the answer to mine here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/39003.aspx

Did you check to see whether you have it?  Please do.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 8:30 PM

George Somsel:
Did you check to see whether you have it?

George, I do not have it in Greek, only in English.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS