Nearly Ready to Make the Switch

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 604
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 8 2011 8:57 PM

Thinking about moving to MAC with the purchase of a MACBook Pro 15" i7 processor (2.2) and 4GB RAM.  Anyone have any comments about the responsiveness of Logos with such a machine?  Any major differences between the Mac and Windows versions of Logos?  Thanks!

Posts 114
Steve Hultquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 8 2011 10:02 PM
I made such a move over 5 years ago and have never looked back. Logos speed is quite good on my Mac, although I suspect the SSD has a good deal to do with that. Overall, OS X has a more sophisticated scheduler than Wndows and so tends to handle multitasking better. I think this helps Logos. I will assume that you've looked at the (small and shrinking) functional differences between Logos on the Mac and Windows. I'd suggest diving right in!
Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 8 2011 10:06 PM

John Fugh, Jr.:
Thinking about moving to MAC with the purchase of a MACBook Pro 15" i7 processor (2.2) and 4GB RAM.  Anyone have any comments about the responsiveness of Logos with such a machine?

May want to consider 7200 RPM hard drive (up to 33 % faster than 5400 RPM, noticeable in many applications, including Logos 4 Mac) or Solid State Disk (SSD).

Apple has refurbished MacBook Pro 15" with 2.3 GHz i7 and 7200 RPM drive => http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0M1CLL/A

John Fugh, Jr.:
Any major differences between the Mac and Windows versions of Logos?

Wiki Mac and PC User Interface Differences => Feature Parity has a list of differences gathered primarily from forum discussions.

Wiki Logos 4 Mac => Need Logos 4 PC feature? has options for running Logos 4 Windows in a virtual machine on a MacBook Pro.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 12:20 AM

For the MacBook Pro (MBP) it depends on what your budget is, some points:

1. In this case it doesn't seem that the BTO higher processor gives significant benefits, in some cases it is worth choosing the higher processor which is only available via BTO. See http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html for comparison of the two processors. The highest is 2820QM (position 14) versus the 2720QM (position 15 the 2.2 i7 processor you are looking at)
  2. 4 GB is OK, 8 GB is better. You can get cheaper 3rd party memory for MBP but the standard config uses all slots so if you upgrade you'd have to remove the original memory.
  3. I would go for the smaller capacity but higher speed (7200 rpm VS 5400 rpm is usually better) I have read reports though that the overall performance of the two is not hugely different. If you really want a performance boost then a SSD drive is the way to go. Don't buy the stock Apple (made by Samsung I believe) SSD drive. It is expensive and not as fast as SSD can be. If you get 3rd party SSD then make sure you get one that supports the 6.0 Gb/s of SATA 3 in the MBP. The drives from OWC are well received http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/. The original HDD drive does not need to be a loss though because you can put it into an external drive enclosure and use it as a TimeMachine backup.

If you want to run Logos 4 Mac get a machine with as much horsepower as possible and lean towards an SSD drive.

Good luck!

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 5:58 AM

John, 8 GB of RAM is crucial to a faster loading Logos.  Buy the 4 GB model and then purchase 2, 4 GB sticks online for ~$50. (significantly cheaper than going through Apple)

I also agree with KS4J, your processor and hard drive speed are two other areas in which gains can be made in the Logos program.

Posts 150
rog | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 7:38 AM

I'm running a 4gb MBP that is less than a year old. I can't complain about the speed of Logos. It is drastically better than it was a year ago. It is good and useful and well worth the trade up to a mac. 

But thanks for the tip Paul, I may find myself buying the 2 4gb sticks as well. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 10:22 AM

rog:
But thanks for the tip Paul, I may find myself buying the 2 4gb sticks as well. 

Wiki Mac Troubleshooting => Slow Performance includes Activity Monitor screen shot and: "After restarting Mac, Page outs is 0 byte. While using Mac programs, if Page outs becomes large number (especially GB’s), upgrading RAM good idea."

For technically inclined (with more than 4 GB RAM), found a blog => http://blog.philippklaus.de/2011/04/ssd-optimizations-on-mac-os-x/  with links in Resources section that has potential for copy and modification to create a RAM disk for Logos 4 temporary files (plus RAM disks for other uses).

Currently, Logos 4 Mac is a 32 bit application; 64 bit discussion => Logos 64 bit (eventually Logos plans 64 bit migration, no idea when).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 604
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 4:50 AM

KS4J - thank you for your information and research.  I've purchased a macbook pro and it seems to run a little more snappier than my windows machine.

Posts 394
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 5:24 AM

Resistance is futile.

Geeked {they don't have a Borg smily so this will have to do..]}

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 7:16 PM

John Fugh, Jr.:

KS4J - thank you for your information and research.  I've purchased a macbook pro and it seems to run a little more snappier than my windows machine.

Glad to read about snappiness; bit curious about hardware choice ? Wondering if purchased refurbished MacBook Pro with 7200 RPM ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 604
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 16 2011 6:06 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

John Fugh, Jr.:

Glad to read about snappiness; bit curious about hardware choice ? Wondering if purchased refurbished MacBook Pro with 7200 RPM ?

KS4J -

I bought a new machine.  I had one of the hybrid hard drives (500GB with 4GB SSD @ 7200RPM).  It is my plan to install that drive into this machine.  I wanted to get a benchmark before I installed that drive.  I have 2.2GHZ, i7, 4GB RAM, 750GB @ 5200 RPM hard drive, 1GB video ram.  So far I must say that I am happy with the responsiveness with this machine as it relates to Logos 4.  I have personally, since its purchase, chosen NOT to be a part of the Beta Program any longer (and with the recent comments, I am glad).  The indexing is what took so much longer.  I am curious whether or not the indexing with the MAC is different than the Windows because of the time length.  At any rate, it works SO MUCH better on this machine.  Very happy.  Now, there are still some slow responsiveness from the typing in the notes.  I hope that this will be addressed.

Thanks every one...

J

Posts 14
Michael Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 1:59 PM

FYI for anyone who finds this thread.

In most cases intel based Macs can actually recognize more RAM than factory specs show.  This is due to bios update 1.2 -  everymac.com has a pretty good list of what your Mac can actually use.  One of the systems that I run is an early 2009 MacMini that is spec. upgradable to 4GB.  I installed 8 GB of RAM and Logos 4 runs like a champ on it.

Next upgrade is a SSD.

Michael

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 3:18 PM

Fernando A Gonzalez:

Resistance is futile.

Geeked {they don't have a Borg smily so this will have to do..]}

Here yer go - imagine this coming up on ya in the rear view mirror of your spacecraft Surprise  

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 3:26 PM

Michael Collins:

FYI for anyone who finds this thread.

In most cases intel based Macs can actually recognize more RAM than factory specs show.  This is due to bios update 1.2 -  everymac.com has a pretty good list of what your Mac can actually use.  One of the systems that I run is an early 2009 MacMini that is spec. upgradable to 4GB.  I installed 8 GB of RAM and Logos 4 runs like a champ on it.

Good tip.

The free app, Mactracker, available on the Apple Mac store (and the iOS app store) is great tool for having full info on all Mac products.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mactracker/id430255202?mt=12

It actually is updated to reflect the new max memory supported, up to 8GB. Nice application if you need to know info on any Apple product.

Posts 2724
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 5:13 PM

John Fugh, Jr.:

Thinking about moving to MAC with the purchase of a MACBook Pro 15" i7 processor (2.2) and 4GB RAM.  Anyone have any comments about the responsiveness of Logos with such a machine?  Any major differences between the Mac and Windows versions of Logos?  Thanks!

I've got the machine you discuss only with 8GB of RAM and I find the performance acceptable after adding an SSD to replace the slow 5400 rpm hard drive they ship with.

Posts 1
Sean Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 22 2011 11:13 PM

Go for it!  I bought L4 earlier this year for my PC, but my tired old PC couldn't handle it.  I had been considering "the switch" for several years, but I alway thought I was too invested in PC software.  I now own a 15" MacBook Pro i7, 8G and am absolutely converted.  I seriously doubt I'll ever buy a PC again.  As for L4 performance - it is not instantaneous response, but it isn't too bad.  (it takes me about 25 seconds to switch between layouts and I have over 2300 resources in my library)  and with 10.7 Lion you have Mission Control.  I have Logos on one desktop, Pages (great word processor) on another desktop, a browser in a third desktop and it's a simple swipe to move from one activity to another - very nice when studying and using multiple applications.

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 4:46 AM

Sean Morgan:
 I seriously doubt I'll ever buy a PC again.

I seriously believe you. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2011 10:30 AM

John Fugh, Jr.:
Any major differences between the Mac and Windows versions of Logos?

Before you switch you might want to cast an eye over my less-than-satisfying experience. Might save you some money and grief.

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 5:06 AM

You have very good specs for your MacBookPro :-)

You might want to consider running a VM such as Parallels 7.0, so that you can run Logos 4.3 SR-5 for Windows (more stable vs the current Mac version)

If you want to do that, I would suggest that you up your RAM from 4GB to 8GB (OEM memory is likely cheaper)

You can look at the new, to be available 512GB SSD Samsung 830 Series, if you want raw speed :-) you can sort of pre-order on Amazon.com @ USD784.99

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS