Your softawre is so hard to installed

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 260
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 10 2011 9:57 AM

Download logos 4 installed login took an hour to download 1.20gb then forever to perpare my libaray. Geez you  want people to spend $1000's on this software? It feels more like a Windows service pack install then running something Godly.

I only use Libronix  due to Thomas Nelson Ebible software I own.  Now with that said it looks awesome once I get it started.

Posts 29804
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 10:07 AM

Randall - 

Sorry you are not happy. The long indexing process that you are unhappy about is the reason that Logos is so useful. It allows the searching to work properly. 

By the way, the software is free. You pay for the book licenses. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 10:12 AM

Randall Lind:

It feels more like a Windows service pack install then running something Godly.

LOL! Thanks for the laugh. I'm glad I wasn't holding my coffee.

Randall Lind:

Now with that said it looks awesome once I get it started.

It is, my friend!

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 260
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 10:24 AM

I don't get what's is so funny. I have a 40mbit download connection and shouldn't take that long to download whatever it was downloading.

Libronix 3g took 4 hours to update just saying new people will be turn off by this.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 10:25 AM

alabama24:
The long indexing process that you are unhappy about is the reason that Logos is so useful. It allows the searching to work properly. 

Bob P had mentioned when the software first rolled out the door, that they were considering shipping the index with base packages. I hope that this is something that they are still considering.

I would also recommend this for large downloads, such as the recent Perseus collection. That way installation will be shorter, and the download may be a bit longer, but since it will be mostly compressed text, it should not be much larger.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 3846
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 10:28 AM

Lynden Williams:
Bob P had mentioned when the software first rolled out the door, that they were considering shipping the index with base packages. I hope that this is something that they are still considering.

Why not for all downloads - then, when enough individual indexes are downloaded, they can be merged with the main database - much as the indexing is handled now, AFAIK.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 10:42 AM

Randall Lind:

I don't get what's is so funny. I have a 40mbit download connection and shouldn't take that long to download whatever it was downloading.

Libronix 3g took 4 hours to update just saying new people will be turn off by this.

My apologies, Randall. I suppose in an instant gratification society this has become somewhat intolerable. Sad

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 10:44 AM

Randall Lind:
Download logos 4 installed login took an hour to download 1.20gb then forever to perpare my libaray. Geez you  want people to spend $1000's on this software? It feels more like a Windows service pack install then running something Godly.

Hi Randall, welcome to the forums.

I would like to help your perspective a little. The actual Logos software program is free of cost. The "upgrade from Libronix 3 to Logos 4 includes some new resources that are charged for. Even with that cost it never approaches the $1000's you reference. Those resources Logos users buy that push their investments into the $1000's are one good reason to choose Logos over all other Bible software. Nobody has such a broad spectrum of material.

With the massive amount of data accumulating in the resource library, there has to be a way of streamlining searches and effectively returning results. I used to refill my coffee and read my snail mail whenever I hit the "search" button in Libronix. My results searching Logos 4 are instantaneous with a library 20x as large.  Indexing was not an invention of Logos. It is the industry's method for handling massive amounts of data. Do you remember the first hard drives? They were clunky RLL or MFM  5mb capacity boat anchors. Now we have 4TB drives,SSD and 256MB USB drives. If you ever defrag a 2TB drive, you will agree indexing is worth the wait.

Randall Lind:
It feels more like a Windows service pack install then running something Godly.

I understand what you mean by Service Packs. But Logos is not a spaghetti code patch job. Look at your installed programs under Control Panel. You will see a litany of Windows Service Packs. How many Logos installs do you see? Logos 4 is a new program, not just a super-sized Libronix 3.

Randall Lind:
I only use Libronix  due to Thomas Nelson Ebible software I own.  Now with that said it looks awesome once I get it started.

Logos 4 will integrate your Libronix resources so your investment continues to be useful. Just give it a chance to finish indexing and then try out the Passage Guide. It is fun to compare speed results with a Libronix 3 search. You will eventually be happy with it. (I still have Libronix 3 alongside Logos 4. They both have their benefits but L4 is better.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 11:00 AM

Randall Lind:
I don't get what's is so funny. I have a 40mbit download connection and shouldn't take that long to download whatever it was downloading. Libronix 3g took 4 hours to update just saying new people will be turn off by this.

Don't lose sight of the fact downloading an update and indexing it to your library are two separate operations. The download will depend on your internet connection and the indexing depends on your CPU and bus speeds.

One thing to be careful of is don't let your computer go into sleep mode. That can make indexing take days!

Posts 260
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 11:15 AM

I use the Biblia app most of the time in Chrome and don't have to use my hard drive. That is what I perfer, I have a faster laptop and my server had 2 dual core AMD 2.8ghz opterons still sluggish but the web interface is nice and fast.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 11:49 AM

Randall Lind:
  I use the Biblia app most of the time in Chrome and don't have to use my hard drive. That is what I perfer, I have a faster laptop and my server had 2 dual core AMD 2.8ghz opterons still sluggish but the web interface is nice and fast.

Sometimes it is difficult to explain performance issues. Two users may be running on identical hardware but have drastically different results. I do recall reading about a lot of external factors effecting Logos updating, downloading, indexing & performance. We have documented everything from a hiccup corrupting the download to issues with Windows tablet services, Internet Explorer 9, the need to uninstall older versions of Framework after updating to the current version, turning off sleep mode, disabling "safe site" filtering by virus programs like AVG/Norton/McAfee, or you name it. Windows 7 is picky about administrative settings too.

We have Logos 4 running on varying systems in my home. My Acer Aspire One Netbook (1 GB Ram, Atom 270 CPU) is painfully slow in everything it does. My wife has a brand new HP DV6 that downloads & indexes slower than her older iMac. For whatever reason the iMac boots Logos 4 faster than her HP. My old HP DV2000 had a horrible NovaBench score but always performed to my satisfaction. I am sure I could tweak the various machines and improve performance but finding every factor in play is probably unlikely.

Your server hardware should have no problems with Logos. I am guessing any issues will be located somewhere in the settings or conflicting software. When I upgraded an HPDV8000 to dual 500GB HDDs the drive overlay that came with them did allow me to circumvent the bios limitations but it resulted in an unbelievably slow speed. Emulation is always done at the expense of speed. In my youth I enjoyed finding solutions by experimenting and hacking. Now I just want the software to run smoothly. (I would like to see Logos run under Linux, even if it does it in WINE Geeked)

Posts 2757
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 4:10 PM

There's something to a complaint about how much time it takes to set up and maintain.  It is time intensive to update.

It's really the end result, that makes it completely worth the effort. On any given day I can fire up Logos and get a lot more done at a level I could only dream about before. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS