Recommended Commentaries: Matthew

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 101
LogosEmployee
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 10 2011 11:00 AM

You were all so helpful when it came to suggesting commentaries for the Pentateuch! Thanks everyone.

We are going to switch it up and do suggested commentaries for the gospels. So tell us, what are some of your favorite commentaries— available from Logos—on the book of Matthew?

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 11:11 AM

Lots of good ones, but these are my favorites:

NICNT-R.T. France

Pillar-Leon Morris

NIGTC-John Nolland

WBC-Donald Hagner

Posts 173
_ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 1:03 PM

Technical Commentary

By far the best is Allison's three volume work in the ICC (According to Allison, Davies actually contributed very little to the volumes.  If I remember correctly, it was only 30-50 pages. The ICC editorial team required Allison's work to be paired with Davies as a co-author because they did not want to release a commentary by  an unknown scholar.   Davies was brought on board because he was a giant in the field of NT studies.  Hence, Davies and Allison).  Allison's work covers almost every possible interpretation, and he highlights the interpretations of the Church Fathers to much profit.  His insights are often brilliant, as the depth of his interpretation is often unparalleled.  

Luz in Hermeneia is also helpful with background and history of interpretation.  His work contains many insightful excurses.  If choosing between Allison and Luz, always go with Allison.  

Semi-Technical Commentary/Pastoral 

Pastorally, it is tough to beat Carson in the EBC.  Carson is always academic without being overbearing.  He never ceases to be insightful, and usually provides convincing exegesis.  

Pastors should not miss Blomberg in the NAC.  He helps to round out Carson.  

France in NICNT is the best Semi-Technical Evangelical Commentary.  France is a giant in Matthean studies, and it shows on every page of his commentary.  

Background Commentary

Keener in the Socio-Rhetorical series leaves no stone unturned for historical background.  The amount of background he turns up is  stunning.  

Posts 2566
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 1:04 PM

My first pick in Matthew is almost always D.A.Carson in the EBC series.

(Gaebelein, F. E., Carson, D. A., Wessel, W. W., & Liefeld, W. L. (1984). The Expositor's Bible Commentary, Volume 8: Matthew, Mark, Luke. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House.)

My second choice is R.T. France's volume in the NICNT series.

(France, R. T. (2007). The Gospel of Matthew. The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publication Co.)

Bohuslav

Posts 4
Otis Gouty | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 3:47 PM

I fully agree with the recommendations on Carson, in EBC.

Posts 597
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 3:51 PM

Matthew - John Heading - this volume also includes Mark by Harold Paisley. These volumes are put out by Ritchie. 

Posts 2013
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 4:06 PM

Don Carson on Matthew in the Expositors Bible Commentary is one of the best.

The NAC has a great one by Blomberg.

And Allison in the ICC is good.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1116
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 5:19 PM

Top of the list:

• Keener, Craig S. The Gospel of Matthew: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2009.
  • N T Wright, Matthew for Everyone (2 vol), [in a Facebook Special collection as I write this.]
  • Newman, Barclay Moon and Philip C. Stine. A Handbook on the Gospel of Matthew. New York: United Bible Societies, 1992.

Also use:

• Bible Speaks Today series: Michael Green on Matthew + John Stott on the Sermon on the Mount.
  • Craig Bloomberg (NAC series)
  • John Nolland (NIGNT series).

Posts 1
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 5:33 PM

Exegetical:

1. Davies and Allison (ICC): 3 vol.

2. Lutz (Hermeneia): 3 vol.

3. Hagner (WBC): 2 vol.

4. France (NICNT).

5. Turner (BECNT).

6. Nolland (NIGTC).

7. Osborne (ZECNT).

8. Keener (Socio-Rhetorical).

9. Morris (Pillar).

10. Carson (EBC).

Exposition:

1. Talbert (Paideia).

2. Blomberg (NAC).

3. The NIVAC on Matthew.

Posts 44
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 7:43 AM

I always look at the International Critical Cokmentary first.  Matthew is particularly good.  I often don't need to look anywhere else.

But that's like looknig at the trees rather than the forest.  The Expositor's Bible gives the bigger picture, and  you still see more when you thought you already had seen it all.

Posts 133
Mikko Paavola | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 11:44 AM

- Lenski

- WBC

Gold (IH), Scholar's Silver (JG), Nelson Bible Reference Bundle, Luther's Works, etc.
Laptop: Win 8 Pro 64bit, Intel Core2Duo T8100 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, ATI HD3470 256MB.
Tablet: iPad2 16GB. Phone: Nokia Lumia 820.

Posts 12336
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 12:15 PM

Talbert

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 183
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 12:27 PM

Luz

Posts 0
Carl Garrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 16 2011 1:00 AM

France: NICNT

Keener (By the way, Keener's 2 vols on John is spectacular and a great resourse, and is good writing too. Most commentaries are duller than my sermons. . .

Marshall (PNTC)

Turner (BECNT)

And a new one just on the market: Grant Osborne: Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the NT: Matthew is a well formatted volume.  It helps gets my thoughts in order.

But the truth is most of these are just rehashes of Adam Clarke.  At least when it come to the interpretation of Scripture.  My Grandma taught me an appreciation of Clarke, and I still use him when I get stuck somewhere.

Too many writers today feel like its necessary to check their faith at the door before writing a commentary.  So sad. . .

Posts 217
ROGER JIMENEZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 16 2011 8:00 PM

Jesus! So, what do I have in the Scholar's? I have nothing!

Posts 2372
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 16 2011 8:30 PM

Leon Morris & DA Carson

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org | hantla.com/blog

Posts 5555
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 16 2011 9:09 PM

Carl ... USAF pilot!  Appreciate your service. Even more so in your new endeavors.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS