Valley of Vision--public domain text

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 2:03 PM

The Valley of Vision by an Unknown Puritan.

This is a certified Christian classic, a collection of Puritan prayers, that for reasons I cannot fathom, has not been digitized yet by Project Gutenberg or CCEL or anyone else. As it's in public domain you'd think it would be a no-brainer.

It would make a great devotional for Logos, and a resource I believe preachers would like to have for sermon prep.

Posts 2912
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 2:12 PM

Rob Suggs:

It would make a great devotional for Logos, and a resource I believe preachers would like to have for sermon prep.

Yes it would! Please

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 59
Westie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 2:44 PM

I second this, This is a wounderful resource, I also have the audio CD's.... 

Mark

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 3:16 PM

yes yes yes....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 165
David C. Rowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2010 5:44 PM

YES, please!

Posts 4882
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2010 6:07 PM

Community Pricing anyone ?

Posts 2912
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 2:36 PM

This would fly through Community Pricing so fast

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 258
Aaron Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 3:21 PM

Yes Yes

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 8:40 PM

Any follow-up on this?? A tremendous resource and devotional!!

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 1806
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 9:05 PM

Rob Suggs:

This is a certified Christian classic, a collection of Puritan prayers, that for reasons I cannot fathom, has not been digitized yet by Project Gutenberg or CCEL or anyone else. As it's in public domain you'd think it would be a no-brainer.

This has been on my list for a while. As a devotional, it would make an excellent addition to Logos. But based on my research, I don't think it's in the public domain. I think all of the pieces are in the public domain, but as far as I can tell the compilation of those pieces is under copyright (© 1975 by The Banner of Truth Trust). I'm not 100% sure how copyright law applies to compilations of public domain texts, and I'm not sure if Arthur Bennett did any editing of the English texts. But Banner of Truth is clearly claiming that they hold the copyrights to the work in its present form. If anyone has any solid evidence that demonstrates that the book itself is in the public domain, please let me know. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until we can license it from the publisher.

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 3:46 PM

Phil Gons:
Otherwise, we'll have to wait until we can license it from the publisher.

Then I will be patient and continue to use my print copy. Smile

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 2912
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2011 10:11 AM

Phil Gons:

Rob Suggs:

This has been on my list for a while. As a devotional, it would make an excellent addition to Logos. But based on my research, I don't think it's in the public domain. I think all of the pieces are in the public domain, but as far as I can tell the compilation of those pieces is under copyright (© 1975 by The Banner of Truth Trust). I'm not 100% sure how copyright law applies to compilations of public domain texts, and I'm not sure if Arthur Bennett did any editing of the English texts. But Banner of Truth is clearly claiming that they hold the copyrights to the work in its present form. If anyone has any solid evidence that demonstrates that the book itself is in the public domain, please let me know. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until we can license it from the publisher.

In this case, I think this calls for you to engage in some aggressive and persistent work with Banner of Truth trust to get all of their books into the digital domain on Logos!

A guy can dream, right? This truly would be a very good dream

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2691
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2011 10:55 AM

Jacob Hantla:
I think this calls for you to engage in some aggressive and persistent work with Banner of Truth trust to get all of their books into the digital domain on Logos!

That would be closer to heaven than west virginia, if you pardon the corny song quote..

Would love BofT in Logos..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 165
David C. Rowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 16 2011 12:00 PM

At the risk of making myself a complete annoyance, if Logos would do a deal with Banner of Truth and P&R, I would A) be off the Forums, and B) be a whole lot poorer because I would buy them all.

Whassup, Logos?

Posts 26149
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 16 2011 12:22 PM

David C. Rowe:
if Logos would do a deal with Banner of Truth and P&R

You're lucky. My list of publishers is much longer.Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1244
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 16 2011 12:50 PM

David C. Rowe:

if Logos would do a deal with Banner of Truth and P&R

YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes

David C. Rowe:

I would A) be off the Forums, and B) be a whole lot poorer because I would buy them all.

I don't expect to be able to buy them all, but I will be a whole lot poorer then. Crying

Posts 1
Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 5:12 AM

For what it's worth, I've been in contact with BoT off and on for the last several years about doing a project of creating an updated (ESV vs. KJV, if you will) version of VoV.  So far, though there seems to be much interest by some in the organization, the higher-ups, feel that "it ain't broke, so why fix it".  If you think this would be a good project, contact BoT and let them know!  info@banneroftruth.org

In the meantime, I happen to know that someone is posting their modern interpretations of these prayers on this blog: http://puritanprayersrevised.blogspot.com/

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 5:17 AM

Also, contact them and let them know they should allow me to create an iOS app with the Valley of Vision text and Joe Thorn's reading plan. :)

Posts 50
Eric Woernle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:05 AM

YesYes

Posts 1132
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 8:09 PM

Agree! BOT should definitely work something out with Logos to make Valley of Vision and their other excellent resources available for more people to utilize, and to make more of an impact in the world with the wisdom the puritans had. IMO digital works are far better for study purposes, and they will have more of a lasting impact on a future generation that will be going more and more digital. 

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS