Highlighting issues in 4.5 Beta 1

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 12 2011 1:46 PM | Locked

My highlights are now in note files designated by the names of the palettes that they were from.  The "My Palette" note file is huge and takes 20 seconds to open.  If that is the last selected note file, then new highlights take 10 seconds to apply.

But when I make new highlights they go into the last open note file (as described in the release notes).  This is far from ideal.  I opened a note file that entitled "ECF Table of contents", and then went to my ESV Bible and made a highlight and now the highlight is a part of the "ECF Table of contents" note file.  This means my highlights are going to be scattered all over the place unless I actively reselect note files all of the time.  I'm going to have to create highlighting note files to keep the highlights separate from actual notes. Probably one per resource.

What if I create a temporary note file and forget about it?  The next time I use Logos, my highlights will automatically go to that file.  And then if I delete that file (because it was temporary), I lose those highlights.

It has been suggested that Logos create automatic highlight note files for each individual resource, and I agree.  These note files wouldn't be easily deletable, but they could be editable.  This would keep the highlighting files down to a manageable size and speed, keep the associated highlights together, prevent accidental deletion, and save me time.

Thoughts?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 1:58 PM | Locked

I'm also finding that adding and deleting highlighting is extremely slow, even if the highlighting file is small.

Do these errors in the log have something to do with that:

2011-10-12 15:58:40.7656    7    Error    SyncManager    ExceptionHandled: Logos.Sync.Client.SyncClientException: Web service error: Error getting web response. ---> Libronix.Utility.Net.WebServiceException: Error getting web response. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'internal.docapi.logos.com'
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Libronix.Utility.Net.HttpWebRequestUtility.DoGetHttpResponse(Func`1 fnGetResponse)
   at Libronix.Utility.Net.HttpWebRequestUtility.GetHttpResponse(HttpWebRequest request)
   at Libronix.Utility.Net.WebServiceRequest.ExecuteResponseSync(HttpWebRequest webRequest)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Libronix.Utility.Net.WebServiceRequest.ExecuteResponseSync(HttpWebRequest webRequest)
   at Libronix.Utility.Net.WebServiceRequest.GetResponse()
   at Libronix.Utility.Json.Web.JsonWebServiceRequest.GetResponse()
   at Libronix.Utility.Json.Web.JsonWebServiceRequest`1.GetResponse()
   at Logos.Sync.WebService.JsonSyncService`1.Connect(IWorkState state)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Logos.Sync.WebService.JsonSyncService`1.Connect(IWorkState state)
   at Logos.Sync.Client.SyncClient.Sync(IWorkState state)
   at Logos.Sync.Client.SyncManager.SyncManagerThread()

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 1:59 PM | Locked

I would prefer that they all automatically go to a "unfiled" notes file. Then have a way of moving notes to a new note file by way of a drop down box. So, for instance, if I right click on a note there is the option to move that note to a different note file.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 2:01 PM | Locked

Halo Hound:

I would prefer that they all automatically go to a "unfiled" notes file. Then have a way of moving notes to a new note file by way of a drop down box. So, for instance, if I right click on a note there is the option to move that note to a different note file.

The reasons I think per-resource files is better are:

- performance seems to have gotten worse  (but syncing may have something to do with that), so smaller files are better.

- it would make it wonderfully easy to see all of the highlights from a book.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 2:06 PM | Locked

Whether it is a single note file for "highlights" or an "unfiled" notes file; either way I would like it to be one file.   

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 2:18 PM | Locked

Fred Chapman:

Whether it is a single note file for "highlights" or an "unfiled" notes file; either way I would like it to be one file.   

Whatever is decided, I don't think I want my highlights in the last open notes file.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 3:06 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
Whatever is decided, I don't think I want my highlights in the last open notes file.

Absolutely agree.

Posts 8652
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 3:17 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:

While I think I agree (hmm.)  I'm waiting to see what kind of thought shift this is for my workflow.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 150
LogosEmployee
Todd White (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 4:42 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:

See my response to a similar concern at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/39471/294825.aspx#294825.

Posts 26005
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 4:49 PM | Locked

Halo Hound:

Todd Phillips:

Absolutely agree.

I don't use Notes nor Highlights which theoretically++ means I now get one un-nominated Notes file for Highlights (not having an open file nor one that was last used)! But I wouldn't want Highlights randomly distributed amongst my Note files, nor have to be vigilant about the last one opened/used.

++ I don't have the beta 4.5!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19039
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 5:58 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
++ I don't have the beta 4.5!

I don't either, and it sounds like I'd better switch over to the Stable channel and wait a bit for some of these issues to be ironed out. Disappointed, to say the least.

I wonder, does switching to Stable prevent updates to beta even after I've already received the "Updates Available" message? Or is that too late? Will I know have to hold off on getting any updates (including resources) until I'm ready to upgrade to the beta? (I have Automatically Download Updates set to No.)

Posts 1649
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 7:11 PM | Locked

There is a "fix" coming tomorrow for todays beta so you should at least stick around for that.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 7:23 PM | Locked

Man, you guys are scaring me. I've downloaded the beta but since I hadn't downloaded Perseus to my beta installation it is spinning its wheels digesting that right now. But I certainly don't think I'm going to like this approach at all. I keep the beta separate from my everyday use Logos 4 installation so for now can choose not to deal with it, but it sure seems like stuff is going to get messed up with things the way they are now. BTW: I care about highlighting but don't care too much about notes. Don't mess with my highlighter!

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 30135
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 8:43 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
The reasons I think per-resource files is better are:

For my work patterns, a per-palette file scheme would be more helpful.But I have no major problem with the current implementation because it simply asks me to pay the same attention to destination with highlights that I already have to pay with notes & cuttings.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1649
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 8:54 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:
destination with highlights

That appears to be the issue -- I DID NOT want my highlights to "go" anywhere. They were just "highlights."

[Yes, I know some wanted to "search" and to "search for" their highlights. Was this the "only" way to have done it?]

Regards, SteveF

Posts 26005
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 9:25 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
I wonder, does switching to Stable prevent updates to beta even after I've already received the "Updates Available" message? Or is that too late? Will I know have to hold off on getting any updates (including resources) until I'm ready to upgrade to the beta? (I have Automatically Download Updates set to No.)

Stable should be respected irrespective of previous history. You could restart L4 after the switch as a precaution.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 7:00 AM | Locked

MJ. Smith:
For my work patterns, a per-palette file scheme would be more helpful.But I have no major problem with the current implementation because it simply asks me to pay the same attention to destination with highlights that I already have to pay with notes & cuttings.

I am not sure if I dislike this change or note.  The way I am looking at this is that we no longer have a highlighting subsystem, just another way to add a note.  Note: I do not highlight much.

I can see why some people would like to highlight text w/out adding an actual note.

Posts 8652
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 7:13 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:

Todd Phillips:

While I think I agree (hmm.)  I'm waiting to see what kind of thought shift this is for my workflow.

After several hours, I am now certain!  I'm glad Todd White announced that a change is coming.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3716
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 10:15 AM | Locked

Fred Chapman:

If I'm understanding that this one mean only ONE note file for a resource, then I'd still be stuck using L3 for a teaching tool so that I don't have class Bible highlights cluttering my sermon prep Bible.

Nor do I want one class's Bible highlights cluttering another class's  highlights. I need them to be separate. (They aren't in L3, which has been a distraction in class, something highlighted for another class that we aren't going to talk about in this class. But at least none of the class highlights were cluttering my Bible in L4 used for sermon prep!)

I guess I don't really care how many files they're in as long as I don't have to manage them (meaning delete them if they become orphans.... Logos' track record isn't so good here) & as long as highlights can be associated with a layout (which if I'm understanding means they would NOT be displayed if NOT opened in another layout).

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I'm excited that one more reason for keeping L3 may be going away... Geeked

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3716
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 10:19 AM | Locked

Todd Phillips:

I'd agree... there seems to be no logic in "last open".

If by one file we mean a specific note file that we could open with that layout to hold all its notes, I'd sign up for that.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS