Backing up Personal Books

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 20 2011 8:23 AM

I have built in the neighborhood of 150 personal books which are all on one desktop, many of which required a lot of work.  I am assuming if my computer died I would lose them without a backup.  I was hoping that the sync development would make a backup unnecessary, but that may be down the road a ways.  Would it be easier to send the .docx to another desktop or to make backup files?  Can I download the .docx files to a dvdr or do I need to buy an external hard drive?  I am looking for a low cost way that doesn't require too many computer skills.  Wanting to avoid potential heartache.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 8:27 AM

i backup the docx files to an external HD, then backup L4 folders mentioned in Method 2 on that same external HD. that way i can re-install L4 with my PBs already built. (on the same computer)

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 23983
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 8:29 AM

Hi Jerry

The sync capability provided by Logos will only back up the "compiled" form of the document, it will not touch your .docx files.

For those to be kept safe - and they need to be so that you can make changes as required - you will need to do your own backups.

Unless the documents are very large I would have thought that they would have fitted on to standard CD or DVD disks but that clearly depends on what they contain.

So I would backup the .docx files to some external storage medium and get the security you are looking for that way.

Once Logos is fully synching PB's then that process will result in your compiled document being uploaded to their servers and available to you on other devices.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 28891
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 9:31 AM

Jerry - My solution to this problem is by using a service called Dropbox. The reason that I use this method is because it keeps the .docx files on both computers and "in the cloud." When you update one .docx file, it updates in both places. I created a thread describing the process.  You can see the thread HERE.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 10:02 AM

+1 Yes

IMHO, Dropbox is very good.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 10:26 AM

Graham Criddle:
The sync capability provided by Logos will only back up the "compiled" form of the document, it will not touch your .docx files.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered.  Thank you all for your input.  I can now make a better educated decision.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 129
RGP | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 1:20 AM

Hi, this option gives you 10 gig free cloud storage.

http://www.cx.com/mycx/sign_in

Posts 22
Brother Odin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 7:42 AM

If you happen to have access to an IOS device, then you can download the app from Box.Net (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/box.net/id290853822?mt=8) and receive a 50 GB lifetime account. I believe the offer is open until Dec 2.

That should hopefully be plenty for your needs Smile

Cheers!

-- Odin

Posts 2723
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 4:56 AM

Jerry M:

I have built in the neighborhood of 150 personal books which are all on one desktop, many of which required a lot of work.  I am assuming if my computer died I would lose them without a backup.  I was hoping that the sync development would make a backup unnecessary, but that may be down the road a ways.  Would it be easier to send the .docx to another desktop or to make backup files?  Can I download the .docx files to a dvdr or do I need to buy an external hard drive?  I am looking for a low cost way that doesn't require too many computer skills.  Wanting to avoid potential heartache.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Are you backing up any of your work on your computer?  Everything else can be reinstalled - Your work is not available unless you backed it up.  [[Usb backup drives are under $100 - Plug-in, start and everything you have done is backed up - You will have to tell it where Logos lives (and where any other program that puts in data files in a non standard place) [[there are Cloud programs also but I have not yet moved to the Cloud]]

Posts 1
Cullen A. Duke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 5:08 AM

Thanks to all for the posts on this subject - they were helpful.  However, if I read them correctly, the message seems to be that both the compiled Logos4 PBB files and the original docx files need to be backed up.  One benefit, I thought (perhaps incorrectly), of PBBs is that once compiled, if I don't make changes, then I don't need to save the original docx files, thus reducing needed HD space (as well as having all the great Logos searching capabilities).  Is it not possible to simply back up the Logos4 PBB files/resources and then restore them to the same location to recover from a crash?

Posts 2723
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 5:23 AM

The problem with the PBB from Logos 3 is that many did NOT save the files that they were created from so they can not now be converted to Logos 4 format.

If you did the work then you need to protect the files.  [maybe back up to DVD? Several times and keep one copy in a bank vault?]  [some one else will have to comment on compiled recovery]

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS