Logos 4 Hangs During Initialization

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13
Father Dal | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 20 2011 9:49 AM

I recently purchased a basic upgrade from Logos 3 to Logos 4 which I installed yesterday.  Yesterday (after many hours to download updates, convert my library, and index everything) the software executed the simple tasks that I tried.  Today, when I attempt to start Logos 4, the software hangs during initialization.  Any solutions?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 9:56 AM

Father Dal:

I recently purchased a basic upgrade from Logos 3 to Logos 4 which I installed yesterday.  Yesterday (after many hours to download updates, convert my library, and index everything) the software executed the simple tasks that I tried.  Today, when I attempt to start Logos 4, the software hangs during initialization.  Any solutions?

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Can you be more specific about what you're seeing when you say the software hangs during initialization?It would also be helpful to know a bit about your computer, operating system, and anything else that might seem relevant to you.

(Note that sometimes Logos seems to have frozen, when it's actually still working. Waiting a bit is often all it takes for Logos to finish doing 'stuff' in the background so that the foreground can finish.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 13
Father Dal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 10:19 AM

The home page starts to load.  Then the circular "processing" symbol in the center of the screen freezes.  Attempts to click on anything don't work (the cursor arrow never shifts to the hand symbol).  Windows Task Manager shows Logos 4 as "Not responding."

I am running an Intel P4 computer under Windows XP Pro SP3.  I have 2 GB of RAM and 1.5 TB of hard drive.  I installed the Logos 4 software in the recommended location.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 10:39 AM

Father Dal:

The home page starts to load.  Then the circular "processing" symbol in the center of the screen freezes.  Attempts to click on anything don't work (the cursor arrow never shifts to the hand symbol).  Windows Task Manager shows Logos 4 as "Not responding."

I am running an Intel P4 computer under Windows XP Pro SP3.  I have 2 GB of RAM and 1.5 TB of hard drive.  I installed the Logos 4 software in the recommended location.

Okay. Your computer does meet the system requirements for L4, but it doesn't exceed them by much. What is probably happening is what I described above, that Logos is trying to finish something in the background that is causing the foreground to stop responding.

Without knowing more I suggest one of two things: 1) Just wait and see if Logos 'unfreezes' itself (this may or may not happen with XP). 2) Try to open to a blank layout. To do that, immediately after clicking the Logos icon (to start the program), hold down the CTRL key, and keep it pressed down until you see a log-in screen. On that log-in screen, under your name is a little box next to "Use blank layout." Click in that box and then "Sign in" to finish loading Logos.

If neither of those work, report back and we'll have to get more complicated.

If the second of those options work, try to open your home page by clicking on the house icon on the upper left of the Logos4 window. Does that work? If not, report back.

If it does load, you can tell the home page to display less information and perhaps in so doing you might be able to load it up normally from now on.To do that click on the word "Customize" in the lower left of the home page screen. Unselect everything you think you don't really need. If you've already chosen your preferred Bible you can uncheck that, along with Library slide show, and any, or all of the content, that you're not really interested in. Remember the more you uncheck, the less Logos will have to do when it starts, and the more likely it is that it will start without problems.

If you wish you can also uncheck the box (at the bottom of the menu that shows when you click the "Customize" button) that says "Show homepage at startup." If you do, Logos will load itself to whatever layout was displayed when you last closed it on that computer.

EDIT: clarified a step in the process.

Posts 13
Father Dal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 11:00 AM

Starting with CTRL pressed lets me get a blank layout.  Clicking on the Home Page icon starts loading the Home page and results in the usual hang.  An hour later, the software is still hung up.  Also, attempts to switch to other windows (browser, e-mail, etc.) don't work normally so long as Logos is hung up.  When I kill Logos, everything else goes back to normal.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 12:37 PM

Father Dal:

Starting with CTRL pressed lets me get a blank layout.  Clicking on the Home Page icon starts loading the Home page and results in the usual hang.  An hour later, the software is still hung up.  Also, attempts to switch to other windows (browser, e-mail, etc.) don't work normally so long as Logos is hung up.  When I kill Logos, everything else goes back to normal.

You may, at any time contact tech support by phone (number is on the Logos web site), or by email, explaining what you've done so far, and what has/hasn't worked.

It looks like you may have a bit of bad data in your homepage folder, or with the portion of the program that displays the home page. But I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. I think I know, but it will be a bit complicated. The safest thing to do would be to close Logos, remove the files from the homepage data storage folder (or move them to a temporary location) and then reopen Logos to re-download and recreate the files. If you're a bit computer savvy this shouldn't be too difficult but, if you're not, your best way forward would be through tech support, which is where we'd end up anyway, if this doesn't work and no other users step forward to offer some help.

It will involve doing some work through Windows explorer, setting Explorer to allow you to view hidden files, navigating through a multi-layer directory and moving those files to a new temporary directory you can create anywhere you like. I can give you step by step instructions, but it can be a bit intimidating, unless you're used to messing around with your files on a more technical level.

Do you want to try it?

Posts 13
Father Dal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 1:57 PM

Thank you for your help.

If you can tell me what files to move, where to find them, and how to download new versions, I think I can handle that.  I am far from expert, but I am at least semi-literate with computers.  Let's give it a try.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 2:25 PM

Father Dal:

Thank you for your help.

If you can tell me what files to move, where to find them, and how to download new versions, I think I can handle that.  I am far from expert, but I am at least semi-literate with computers.  Let's give it a try.

Okay, first close Logos4 (if it isn't already closed).

The open Windows Explorer (WindowsKey-E). If you have not yet told Windows Explorer to let you view hidden files go to this web site for instructions on how to do so.

First let's create a temporary folder to put the homepage files (in case the solution causes more problems). You may put this anywhere you want. To make it easy, let's put it on "C:" Right click on the "C:"  icon and select "New" and "Folder." The focus should shift to a new folder, creatively named "New Folder." It will also be highlighted, so just type in any name that will make it easy for you to find it again, and that's different from anything else in the C: folder. "Temp" works, as does "Temp1" and "TempHomePage," or just "AAA."

Click on the folder you just made and leave Windows Explorer open to that folder.

Open a second copy of Explorer by hitting WindowsKey-E again. It will be helpful to be able to see the right side of both of these windows later. Now navigate to this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\[Windows User Name]\Application Data\Logos4\Data\[random numbers]\HomePage\ [Note: I don't have L4 installed on my XP machine, so I can't firm this is exactly right. But it should be close enough for you to figure out. If not, report back and we'll try again.]

Now highlight all the files there and, with your mouse, left-click and hold and drag them to the other instance of Windows Explorer. This will move them. If you can't get that quite right, select all the files, right click and select "move" then shift focus to your new folder and click paste. Confirm that the files no longer exist in the HomePage folder. If there are any other subdirectories (folders) under "HomePage\," ensure that they don't have any files in them. If they do, create a new subdirectory with the same name (it will make it easier to put them back, if you have to) in your new temporary folder and put them there. If you have more than one subdirectory under, do the same for them. Confirm that there are no files under HomePage (you may leave any empty subdirectories. there.)

Now restart Logos 4. This should rebuild all the homepage data.

Did that work?

Posts 13
Father Dal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 4:09 PM

My C drive does not have a Logos4 folder in the path you specified.  There is a LibronixDLS folder, but it does not have a Data subfolder.  I can search for one of the files and see where that is, if you can give me a file name to try.

Posts 13
Father Dal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 4:24 PM

I found a HomePage folder with this path: C:\Documents and Settings\D G Ferneyhough\Application Data\Libronix DLS\Library\Preferences\LDLS\HomePage.  It has 2 subfolders: Main and Section. I moved the contents of both of those to my new temp storage file. I started Logos4 normally. Results were the same -- it started to initialize and then froze.

Any other ideas?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 5:06 PM

Father Dal:

I found a HomePage folder with this path: C:\Documents and Settings\D G Ferneyhough\Application Data\Libronix DLS\Library\Preferences\LDLS\HomePage.  It has 2 subfolders: Main and Section. I moved the contents of both of those to my new temp storage file. I started Logos4 normally. Results were the same -- it started to initialize and then froze.

Any other ideas?

The Libronix homepage stuff does not affect Logos 4. Move it all back, so you can at least use Libronix!

I may have left out a folder. Try this path instead: C:\Documents and Settings\[Windows User Name]\Application Data\Local\Logos4\Data\[random numbers]\HomePage\

(Notice the "Local" folder between Application Data and Logos4)

Sorry for the error. I don't have Logos installed on my XP computer.

Posts 13
Father Dal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 5:15 PM

There is no Local subfolder in Application Data.

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 5:23 PM

Correct path is:  C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 5:46 PM

Scott E. Mahle:

Correct path is:  C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4

Aha! What I missed was the Local Settings folder. Good catch. And thanks!

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 6:04 PM

Sorry for interupting, and your welcome. I was just taking a break from school work and felt assistance may be needed. Smile

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 6:11 PM

Scott E. Mahle:

Sorry for interupting, and your welcome. I was just taking a break from school work and felt assistance may be needed. Smile

No apology necessary. Glad for the help, and yes, I needed it. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to offer them. We're all in this together.

Posts 13
Father Dal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 7:13 PM

Richard & Scott,

Thank you so much for your help.

While I was waiting for responses, I called Logos tech support.  The person to whom I spoke suggested that I check for Windows updates.  Although Microsoft said that there were no essential updates that I needed, there were some optional updates that the Logos person said to install.  She then e-mailed me a list of things to do to fix the problem.  I installed the updates, but some of what the Logos person said to do in addition didn't fit what was showing up on my computer, so I didn't try them.  However, when I started Logos 4 it initialized and ran fine.  I followed your advice, Richard, and deleted anything on the Home page that I didn't need.  I shut down Logos, started the applications that I usually keep running, and restarted Logos with no problem.  I then did with Logos 4 some of the things that I have been doing with Logos 3.  All appeared to work properly.

Bottom line:  It appears that my problem is solved.

Thank you again for your help.  If things go belly up again, I'll be back.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS