Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5244
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:21 PM

I am hoping to get a little information, when inside some larger books and occasionally while doing searches my Logos 1.2.2 just unexpectedly quits. I was told that it is a big with PPC and Logos since it appears that Logos 4 will not be a Universal Binary can we expect some of the bugs to get squashed in 1.2.2 or do we have to come to terms with the fact that Logos is now an INTEL only item???? My powerbook g4 and imac G5 work flawlessly for most all my needs, and there is still a significant base of PPC machines out there. I know my machines are five years old but while one new computer might be in my future i know I can; t replace both and even the powerbook will have to wait for several more months.

-Dan

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:33 PM

No point in spending money to design for something Apple has decided to kill

Snow Leopard officially puts PowerPC Macs on endangered species list

I'm certainly no expert, but from what I read It seems it was Apple's choice do abandon PPC'

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 5244
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:04 PM

Joe Miller:

No point in spending money to design for something Apple has decided to kill

Snow Leopard officially puts PowerPC Macs on endangered species list

I'm certainly no expert, but from what I read It seems it was Apple's choice do abandon PPC'

There are still millions of PowerPC out there and Microsoft officially has stopped selling the Windows XP (yes manufacturers can still by it for oem purposes but end users cannot) but Logos didn't make Vista the min. and why is that because there are a large amount of Windows XP users same as there are a large number of PPC users out there. I am not asking Logos to make their mac 4 run PPC, I just would to be able to use my 1.2.2 without it crashing when i scroll to deep into a book or do simple searches. All i was asking is has all development on 1.2.2 (bug fixes stopped), or might we see a slightly more stable mac ver 1 out sometime before mac 4 is out there. Logos has a responsibilty to make sure mac 1 can function adequately for the simple reason we paid for it. And after reading macworlds lament over snow leopard still not restoring all the features that leopard removed from tiger, I can't say I feel all that disadvantaged still using tiger or a PowerPC for the time being. maybe the forums is a poor place to get information, pehaps i should sit on the phone with Logos technical till things are working.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:35 PM

I do hope you can get it working. Again, I am not an expert on this issue or PPC, but your analogy is between two different OS systems.  Isn't the problem here a hardware one.  Isn't PPC a hardware alternative to Intel?  So isn't it the hardware no longer supported by Apple?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 5244
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:47 PM

Joe Miller:
I do hope you can get it working. Again, I am not an expert on this issue or PPC, but your analogy is between two different OS systems.  Isn't the problem here a hardware one.  Isn't PPC a hardware alternative to Intel?  So isn't it the hardware no longer supported by Apple?

It is a truly a hardware issue in one sense  and in another it is not. It is only this latest OS that will not run on the old platform, apple still supports the old hardware in that it is constantly making versions of it;s software that run on both.  And indeed all older os X software runs on new mac because of the Rosetta interpreter. I have found a tiny bit more stability by forcibly reinstalling Safari 3 and Downgrading logos to 1.1. I do realize PPC days may well be numbered but I do hate our consumer society that forces us to buy something new to use the latest version of something indeed had 1 been slightly fuller featured I wouldn't care that 4 will not be compatible with my system. I had just hoped Logos would try to keep it's costumers  around longer. One really nice thing about accordance is that the latest version of it will run on a computer still running system 7, I am not saying every feature is there I honestly don;t know, but they try to include as many users as possible including those who can;t afford to buy a new computer. I had hoped Logos would try to keep min requirements 10.5.x and universal (which is something logos proudly stated when first released). Another recent Mac Bible newcomer is quick-verse, and even though they have updated themselves to a version 3  it still runs on Tiger. And from my understanding as long as the code is clean and down in leopard it shouldn't be too difficult to have it compile a binary rather than Intel only version (Cocoa and Python anyhow).

_dan

Posts 3
Brendan Stark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 9:22 AM

It seems to me that if Logs for Mac 1 was sold as a Universal binary application, then there should still be support for PPC users now and in the future. I'm sure it's still being sold in bookstores across the country, so a strategy of "you have to use the new intel-only, alpha version for support" is not one that will ensure happy, satisfied customers.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS