BUG: Focus issues driving me crazy

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 23 2011 4:32 AM | Locked

Open Spurgeon's Morning & Evening and then try clicking in the "Date textbox" (see screenshot below). For a split second the cursor is in the date box and then focus is lost (to who knows where). Each time I focus any other pane, and then later return to another pane like Morning & Evening and click in the text box the focus is lost.

The same happens when using Copy Bible Verses, Text comparison, etc. This (and a legion of other focus-related issues) has been reported a number of times but remains unfixed. 

It's easy to replicate... open Text Comparison, click inside the body of some Bible pane to "focus" the Bible pane, then click directly in the "Verse ref" field in the Text Comparison window... result: focus-gained-plus-focus-immediately-lost, requiring a second click to "force" the focus to stick.

Please will Logos resolve these issues.

Posts 28565
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 4:47 AM | Locked

Stuart - you didn't attach the screen shot. You need to use the paper clip icon in the formatting palate when you make your post.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 8:46 AM | Locked

Attached... I'm getting old... :-)

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 5:50 PM | Locked

Does anyone else experience these focus issues...? Right now I have a love-hate relationship with Logos 4... these bugs have hung around for so long and have received so little attention. It feels that regardless of how many bug reports about these (and the other) focus issues are made the bugs are simply ignored.  Perhaps that's not a fair characterization or truly representative of reality, but that is how it's feeling as as user of Logos.

Posts 28565
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 7:41 PM | Locked

Stuart - I'm sorry, but I am unable to replicate your issue. I'm sorry that I didn't respond sooner, but I am not on the beta channel. If this is an issue, it does not happen on my computer, with the latest stable build. 

Several questions:

1. What computer are you on? 
  2. Do you have Logos installed on more than one computer? If so, can you replicate it on the other machine?
  3. What input device are you using (i.e. mouse, trackpad, etc.)?

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2011 3:40 AM | Locked

1. I'm running on a Macbook Pro 17" (late 2010), i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.7.2 - Logos 4.5 beta 3, display=1920x1200.

2. I used to have Logos on Windows, but have not used it on Windows for almost a year now.

3. I'm using the Macbook's built-in touchpad.

To trigger the bug:

1. Open a Bible pane
  2. Open a Text Comparison pane.
  3. Click somewhere inside the body of the Bible pane (I'm using ESV). 
  4. Now click directly in the verse-ref field of the Text Comparison pane.

If the bug doesn't manifest, repeat steps 3 and 4.  That is, click in the body of the Bible pane to focus it. Then click directly into the verse-ref field (top-most field) of the Text Comparison pane. The result, in my case, is that the verse-ref field of the Text Comparison pane briefly receives focus and then immediately loses focus again.  Same happens with other "verse-ref-like fields" (such as "date" field in Morning & Evening, "verse-ref" field in Copy Bible Verses, etc).

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2011 3:44 AM | Locked

I suspect that Logos is using custom-drawn (so called "owner-drawn") UI controls instead of standard Mac OS X controls. Certainly the way tabbed panes, etc are implemented seem to be implemented that way, given the strange behaviour with Cmd+}, Cmd+{, etc to switch panes, etc. Hand-implementing basic controls, tabs, etc is never a good idea. The performance of the search results window scrolling (and messed up sizing of the scrollbar in the results list... 1000 results and a "long" scrollbar which makes it look like there are only a few results, etc). These sorts of focus and other issues, etc might all be symptoms of overzealous hand-implementing and not relying on standard OS X UI controls.

Posts 28565
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2011 5:03 AM | Locked

Stuart - I am unable to reproduce your problem. Have you tried using a mouse? (Is it possible you are not using your trackpad correctly?) Also, I notice that you mentioned making a video in another thread. If you can't get this resolved, can you make a quick video? 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2011 8:59 AM | Locked

Stuart Robertson:

To trigger the bug:

1. Open a Bible pane
  2. Open a Text Comparison pane.
  3. Click somewhere inside the body of the Bible pane (I'm using ESV). 
  4. Now click directly in the verse-ref field of the Text Comparison pane.

If the bug doesn't manifest, repeat steps 3 and 4.  That is, click in the body of the Bible pane to focus it. Then click directly into the verse-ref field (top-most field) of the Text Comparison pane. The result, in my case, is that the verse-ref field of the Text Comparison pane briefly receives focus and then immediately loses focus again.  Same happens with other "verse-ref-like fields" (such as "date" field in Morning & Evening, "verse-ref" field in Copy Bible Verses, etc).

Can replicate using Logos 4.5 Beta 3 on Mac OS X 10.6.8; also clicking a verse reference in Morning & Evening causes focus shift to Bible with verse positioning.

By the way, an Apple variation of focus issue is pop-up menu appearing to move a message to a folder in Mail when Mail is not the foremost application, yet message does not move when mouse released.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2011 9:59 AM | Locked

alabama24:
If you can't get this resolved, can you make a quick video? 

I might create a video this evening or tomorrow. Right now I'm so fed up with Logos 4 (and tired of reporting bugs that never get fixed) that, to tell the truth, I no longer wish to give my time to Logos. I'm pretty much at my wits end with Logos 4.  Today's constant crashing and hanging have pushed me to finally try the Accordance 9 demo. It's nowhere near as "pretty" as Logos and seems to have a tiny "library" of resources available, but it's searches (even complex ones) are well nigh instantaneous and scrolling, etc is extremely rapid.

If the 4.5 beta series doesn't deliver on Logos' promises to fix performance, etc and turn Logos 4 into a workable product, then I am will contact Bob Pritchett and ask for a refund.  I don't think selling my Logos license to some unsuspecting buyer would be morally upright as Logos truly isn't useful for serious study. I had Bibleworks on Windows for many years and have now come to regret the day I sold it and switched to Logos.  My apologies for being negative, but I am truly tired of this whole "post a bug on the forum to have it ignored for a year" process.

Posts 28565
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2011 10:17 AM | Locked

Stuart Robertson:
I might create a video this evening or tomorrow.

Don't worry about it. If KS4J can verify it, I believe it! As I said earlier, I am not on the beta. Perhaps that is your issue? Of course, you should be aware of the dangers of using beta programs before you download them.

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2011 11:20 AM | Locked

Ok, thx for letting me know.

Also, I'm aware of the "dangers 'f using a beta". The reason why I'm on the beta is because the current performance issues (see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/40072.aspx for example) that plague Logos are rumoured to be improved in the 4.5 betas.

Posts 82
David L Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 6:58 PM | Locked

I have had similar problems with loss of focus many times with both stable and beta versions, and accessing many different resources. It is a persistent problem that has been reported a number of times but remains unresolved. Hopefully 'Real Soon Now ...."

– DLA

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS