The November 4th entry from the On This Day devotional is a beaut. Read it if you've got it…

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:09 PM

On This Day – Morgan, Robert J. 

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 5:35 AM

That's the spirit.  Geeked

Posts 1288
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 6:33 AM

logosres:thisday;ref=DayOfYear.Nov_4

Smile

Edit: I edited the link so that it doesn't open in the middle of the text

Posts 28122
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 7:12 AM

Why is hatefulness something to smile about? I don't get it.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 7:29 AM

What does it say?

Posts 5572
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 7:47 AM

Jerry Fourroux:

What does it say?

Here's a selection:

As a staunch Calvinist he despised John Wesley’s Arminian theology. He accused Wesley of “lying and forgery.” “I believe him to be the most rancorous hater of the gospel-system that ever appeared on this island,” Augustus wrote....

In 1776 Augustus wrote an article about God’s forgiveness, intending it as a slap at Wesley. He ended his article with an original poem:
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save from wrath and make me pure.
Oddly, it is remarkably similar to something Wesley had written 30 years before in the preface of a book of hymns for the Lord’s Supper: “O Rock of Salvation, Rock struck and cleft for me, let those two Streams of Blood and Water which gushed from thy side, bring down Pardon and Holiness into my soul.”

Perhaps the two men were not as incompatible as they thought.

Robert J. Morgan, On This Day : 365 Amazing and Inspiring Stories About Saints, Martyrs & Heroes, electronic ed. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2000).

EDIT: The Augustus here is Augustus Toplady author of the lyrics for the hymn "Rock of Ages."

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1288
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 8:11 AM

alabama24:

Why is hatefulness something to smile about? I don't get it.

I wasn't smiling about hatefulness (unfortunately the link I placed somehow opened in the middle of the text), but about the text as a whole and about the beautiful hymn!

Posts 28122
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 9:01 AM

H.-J.van der Wal:
I wasn't smiling about hatefulness (unfortunately the link I placed somehow opened in the middle of the text), but about the text as a whole and about the beautiful hymn!

Thanks for clarifying. Smile

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 10:03 AM

alabama24:

H.-J.van der Wal:

Thanks for clarifying. Smile

And!  Dear Brother, I suppose that you are very excited about the Crimson Tide today.     Even the Canadian newspapers in the sports sections have said that this is a critical and very significant contest, even monumental, somehow deciding who is #1?                                                                                                                         

Isaiah 43:1,2

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 28122
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 10:12 AM

Milford Charles Murray:
I suppose that you are very excited about the Crimson Tide today.

No Comment. Big Smile

Posts 10635
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 10:43 AM

For the curious, here's the text from the 366 Inspiring Hymn Stores (Rock of Ages):

"Augustus Toplady’s strong and passionate lines were actually written to refute some of the teachings of John and Charles Wesley during a bitter controversy with them concerning Arminianism (which stresses man’s free will) versus John Calvin’s doctrine of election. “Rock of Ages” was the climax to an article that Toplady wrote in The Gospel Magazine in 1776, in which he supported the doctrine of election by arguing that just as England could never pay her national debt, so man through his own efforts could never satisfy the eternal justice of a holy God."

Now what is interesting (again using our great Logos library of resources!!), is the reference to the date (1776) and the issue of England's overwhelming national debt (the rebellious Continentals being quite pleased).

It was 75 years and change later that our new Perseus Civil War collection brings up the same argument this time from another rebellious group. And this time the 'Federal' national debt is the target, which was unlikely to ever be repaid.

Which of course bring us to today ... (well, ok, we'll skip that one).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS