Hiding Multiple Resources

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 7
Donald Patrick Harris | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 7 2011 1:04 AM

Though I'm very grateful for the vast number of resources made available freely in the Perseus Collections, they are not the main-stay of my Bible study library.  I will enjoy reading some selections from the collection at my liesure, or using some of them for specialized research tasks.  In any case, I want most of them hidden most of the time.  On the other hand, I'd like to access and retrieve them easily when I choose.

I was very disappointed to find it isn't possible to hide a batch of resources in Logos 4 Bible Software, but that I have to hide resources one at a time.  It is not an exaggeration to say, hiding resources one at a time is a TORTUROUS task you shouldn't wish on anyone, not even your competitors in the Bible software market, but especially your faithful user base. This is a serious drawback of the Logos 4 Bible Software.  

It takes longer and longer to complete each addition to the hidden resources box .  Hiding a score of resources now takes half and hour. I've literally worked for days hiding the resources in the Perseus Collections one-by-one.  I still have to hide 599 remaining resources.  Now I just won't do it, it is too time intensive and very frustrating.  

I challenge the Logos software engineers and developers to try hiding each resource in the Perseus Collection one-by-one.  You would re-write the software in a heartbeat if you were real-world users.  

I suggest you incorporate hidden resources into the library feature.  For example, make it possible to hide and reveal batch (multiple) resources with one click.  As with other collections, make possible the sorting and filtering of hidden resources making it possible to reveal or conceal them individually or in a batch.  

Since it is already possible to sort and filter the Perseus Collections make it possible to conceal or reveal them in the Library window.  

Thank you for your serious attention to this matter. 

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 7 2011 2:48 AM

Welcome to the forum Donald. This has been requested by several others. Hopefully Logos will change the code. I had the problem when trying to hide the Targums which I cannot read anyway, and I already had a Hebrew Bible plus several intelinears.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 169
Eleanor Emmott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 28 2011 1:52 PM

Yes  I couldn't agree more!

I'm currently trying to hide all my latin-language resources... one at a time...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 28 2011 2:00 PM

Eleanor Emmott:
I'm currently trying to hide all my latin-language resources... one at a time...

Forum discussion => Tip: How to hide up to 10 resources at once has a tip for hiding 10 resources at a time.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
Rev Dr Paul Blackham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 1:09 AM

This is one of the most needed features and it would seem to be one of the easiest things to code.  Is there some other reason why this isn't provided?  I've given up trying to hide the Perseus resources.  It was great when I first got them - but now the blessing has literally become a curse!  Trying to look through the library and having to wade through hundreds and hundreds of pagan greek/latin classics has become ridiculous.  There HAS to be some other reason why Logos has not provided 'hide collection' or 'hide series' - if anybody knows what it is, it would be good to know.

Posts 27550
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 7:45 AM

Paul - First, did you follow the link that KS4J posted just above you? When you are getting rid of many resources, there is a better way to delete up to 10 resources at a time. Also, if you really don't want Perseus, you can call Logos and ask them to remove your license. This will delete the books from your account.

Rev Dr Paul Blackham:
There HAS to be some other reason why Logos has not provided 'hide collection' or 'hide series' - if anybody knows what it is, it would be good to know.

I don't know if I have read an official Logos answer, but I will take a stab at it.

First, you should know that (in my opinion), the use of the term "hide" is misleading. The resources are not "hidden," but rather they are removed from your computer. (Personally, I would prefer Logos to use the term "archive," which is the term that all other ebook readers use.)

Think about this from a Logos customer service prospective: a user with a platinum base package "hides" a bunch of books. Later, they are reading a tutorial and wonder why the resource mentioned is not appearing up in searches. The large factor of the usefulness of the Logos system is serendipitous discovery. The book that you "would never use" suddenly you discover as a gem.

I agree that the system needs improvement. I would like to see Logos change their terminology of "hide" to "archive" and stress that "archived" books will not show up in searches. Furthermore, I would like to see a new "hidden" book feature, which would work kind of like a reverse prioritization. When you do a search, "hidden" books can be pulled up in a separate tab, but they are still accessible to users in searches. I would also prefer that this new "hidden" book feature have the option to sync,,, Some users may have a home/devotional computer and a work/scholarly computer. It would be great to hide more academic books on your devotional computer, but some of those same books may be highly prioritized books on your work computer.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 11:40 AM

I think Donald hit the nail on the head: Logos visionaries and developers are NOT  "real-world" users of their own software. I think comparison of Logos4 to Cadillac or Porsche of Bible software does not hold water anymore. It has amazing power alright, so, it is like a souped up race car being pulled by a YUGO interface.

So, wow, we can hide 10 resources at a time. Big deal. What if the need arises to unhide them - still one at a time? 1000 resources? Seriously?

Posts 5
Rev Dr Paul Blackham | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 3:07 AM

Yes, thanks for this.  I like some of the Greek and Latin text resources - so I don't want to get rid of the licence [I think...], but the archiving idea sounds perfect.  That way, in day to day use I don't need to be drowned in the avalanche of classical texts - but I could access them for those much less frequent times when I need.  The reverse prioritisation seems a perfect solution - and for it to work on a computer by computer basis.  That way the laptop by my bed can have one set of priorities but the desktop in the offfice something else.

Posts 28
Anton E Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 27 2012 9:23 AM

Sad to see that this discussion has been here since April... err, Nov 2011, and this hasn't been implemented yet.  I guess I''ll continue to slog through my 1,374 volume Perseus Collection EVERY TIME I open my library.  Or in about 300 clicks I can hide them all, ten at a time.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 27 2012 9:26 AM

Anton E Brown:

Sad to see that this discussion has been here since April... err, Nov 2011, and this hasn't been implemented yet.  I guess I''ll continue to slog through my 1,374 volume Perseus Collection EVERY TIME I open my library.  Or in about 300 clicks I can hide them all, ten at a time.

Good news for you: this was implemented in version 4.6, released on August 30th.

See the release notes here: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4.6 -- specifically, this new feature listed under Settings:

Implemented hiding resources from Library panel (Opt+right-click on Mac, Ctrl+right-click on Windows.) Can be used for single or multiple selections.

Here are some steps to hide all of perseus:

1. Enter "perseus" in the library filter box to limit the visible resources to perseus ones
  2. Click in the library window (not on a book cover or title, though),
  3. Type Ctrl+A to select all visible resources
  4. Ctrl+right-click on the selection and select "Hide this resource"
  5. Restart Logos, and they're gone.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9964
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 27 2012 9:26 AM

Anton E Brown:

It has been implemented. Look into the wiki for http://wiki.logos.com/Library__#Hiding_books_in_your_Library 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 128
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 1 2017 7:22 PM

Is there a way to bulk 'unhide' a bunch of resources?

Posts 21861
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 1 2017 7:50 PM

Andrew116:

Is there a way to bulk 'unhide' a bunch of resources?

No - sorry

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS