Help Save the Revelation Classic Commentaries

Page 2 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 62 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2093
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:16 PM

I noticed that when the Classic Commentaries on Ephesians came out they had a suggested price at $170.00, today it was down to $40.00 for the set.

I am wondering if Logos is locked in at the $160.00 price or could they change it like they did the Ephesian set.

Posts 11534
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 1:10 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:

I am wondering if Logos is locked in at the $160.00 price or could they change it like they did the Ephesian set.

Actually Logos is not changing the price, but we do by our bids. An automated routine works the "demand-curve" and updates it in realtime, as is explained on the CP help page.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2093
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 2:15 PM

NewbieMick:

Kenneth Neighoff:

Actually Logos is not changing the price, but we do by our bids. An automated routine works the "demand-curve" and updates it in realtime, as is explained on the CP help page.

I know that the CP price is set by our bids, what I was saying was that the Ephesians collection of Classic Commentaries was suggested at $170.00 one day and the next day or so was at $40. So what I was asking was could not Logos change the suggested price from $160 to $50, as many people are suggesting to see how that affects the bids.

Posts 19140
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:58 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:

NewbieMick:

Kenneth Neighoff:

I know that the CP price is set by our bids, what I was saying was that the Ephesians collection of Classic Commentaries was suggested at $170.00 one day and the next day or so was at $40. So what I was asking was could not Logos change the suggested price from $160 to $50, as many people are suggesting to see how that affects the bids.

There is no such thing as a "suggested" price. All Logos does is set an allowable bidding range which seems reasonable to them based on their anticipated costs and expected interest in the resource. Then we start bidding. The projected price is the current most likely price to succeed in getting over the 100% mark; that is, it's the current price where the highest peak in the chart is. This can and does change as bidding proceeds. It is totally a function of our bidding, based on some internal formula, and is not something that Logos sets manually.

The bidding range for both the Ephesians set and the Revelation set is $10 to $170. The most likely reason the Ephesians one jumped from $170 down to $40 in one day is that the first bidder bid $170, setting the "projected" peak there arbitrarily to begin with, and then at least 5 bidders bid $40 (which would push the peak at $40 up higher than the peak at $170).

The first few days after bidding opens, the projected price is very volatile so it's wise not to pay much attention to it until things settle down.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 9:00 AM

There doesn't appear to be any movement on these. I hope those who bidded $160 realize that these commentaries will never get into publication unless they lower their bids.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 9:10 AM

One or 2 resources have appeared with the lowest price that you can bid something ridiculous like $40 or 50, maybe more.  I just don't bid till they lower the minimum.  I'm not going to be dictated to about how high I must bid.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 9:15 AM

Has anyone else noticed that *most* CP resources make it out on the third price point from the left (yes, sometimes its the fourth).  Nearly all of them fall this way.

...our latest outlier has been the Swinnock collection

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:27 PM

If everybody in at $50 changed it to $80, we could move this. It wouldn't hurt to try, and no-one is locked in to any bidding they make. This would hopeful stimulate enough interest that it could be brought down to around $50.

Posts 54
Tommy Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 3:45 PM

I'm in at $51 (bid on Nov. 3, 2011). How did that happen?

What I have noticed, but do not understand, is how on so many pre-pubs I have bid what it was expected to go for, but now I am way too low. It seems that the costs go up considerably from the first time they are listed.

Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64-Bit Windows 7 Professional SP1

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 4:21 PM

I am in at $160 although I hope and expect that if it goes to PrePub it will be much lower. I really hope people jump in at $50 or $60, Revelation is one of the most misunderstood and difficult books of the Bible. We could all use the help!!!

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 4:41 PM

You do realize I hope that you can bid lower and yet still have a chance to get the resource for whatever price wins out.

For example, you could lower your bid to $50 - if, when it comes time for the item to close, the winning price is $100, you have about a week to up your bid - and I believe you get notified by Logos when bidding is about to close.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 4:53 PM

Looking at http://www.logos.com/product/8522/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-revelation progress:

Noticed $ 160 bids currently cover bit more than half of anticipated production costs.  If many new bids were placed at $ 90 (along with existing bids moving from $ 160 to $ 90 and from $ 50 to $ 90), then resource amount would drop to $ 90 (bit over 90 % off retail for 27 volumes with 12,448 pages) and hopefully entice more bidding so final closing price could be: $ 50 to $ 80.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 6:20 PM

Randal M Lane:
You do realize I hope that you can bid lower and yet still have a chance to get the resource for whatever price wins out.

I sure do - I also realize the opposite is true. For 27 volumes on Revelation in this series I would pay $160. It's almost halfway there at that price. You should bid the highest you are willing to pay.

If everyone bids $50 knowing they will go to $100 if it closes at $100, then the resource may never get into publication because you need double the people to bid at $50. Assuming others will bid enough to get it into production doesn't always work

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 6:37 PM

Dominick Sela:

I sure do - I also realize the opposite is true. For 27 volumes on Revelation in this series I would pay $160. It's almost halfway there at that price. You should bid the highest you are willing to pay.

If everyone bids $50 knowing they will go to $100 if it closes at $100, then the resource may never get into publication because you need double the people to bid at $50. Assuming others will bid enough to get it into production doesn't always work

But conversely, most of us (myself included) are not willing to pay $160. I wouldn't be willing to even pay  $100, though I would bid that amount to try to get the price down in order to generate more interest. Right now it seems that people are frightened off by the high price though. 

Maybe you're right and this thing will slowly get there at the price it's at, but I personally doubt that very much, especially since all the works are public domain and available freely in pdf.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 1:15 AM

Tommy Miller:
I'm in at $51 (bid on Nov. 3, 2011). How did that happen?

Where are you from? I've only seen this happen when you bid in a foreign currency and the exchange rate changes.

Tommy Miller:
What I have noticed, but do not understand, is how on so many pre-pubs I have bid what it was expected to go for, but now I am way too low. It seems that the costs go up considerably from the first time they are listed.

I have never seen the cost go up after listing -- well, possibly in the first hour or so, but not later -- so that too sounds like a currency conversion issue. Usually best to bid in dollars, because that's what you're going to have to pay in.

Or, wait, I just noticed you said "prepubs". You don't bid for prepubs, you bid for CPs. Then, when the CP has gone through the process and closed at a final price, it is moved over to prepub, and, yes, at that moment the price does go up considerably. That's why it's so important to make sure you've locked in the CP price before it closes. Bidding $25 for a CP that closes at $30, and then buying it at prepub for $150 is not a very smart move...

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 5:20 AM

Dean053:

But conversely, most of us (myself included) are not willing to pay $160. I wouldn't be willing to even pay  $100, though I would bid that amount to try to get the price down in order to generate more interest. Right now it seems that people are frightened off by the high price though. 

Maybe you're right and this thing will slowly get there at the price it's at, but I personally doubt that very much, especially since all the works are public domain and available freely in pdf.

Which gets us back to my point - if everyone pays the most they are willing to pay, it will work itself out - the resource either gets into PrePub, at the price that pays for the production and enough people are willing to buy, or it doesn't. I did not say I bid $160 because I think it will go at that price. I bid $160 because I am willing to pay that Others should bid what they are willing to pay, it's that simple.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 6:04 AM

Dominick Sela:

Which gets us back to my point - if everyone pays the most they are willing to pay, it will work itself out - the resource either gets into PrePub, at the price that pays for the production and enough people are willing to buy, or it doesn't. I did not say I bid $160 because I think it will go at that price. I bid $160 because I am willing to pay that Others should bid what they are willing to pay, it's that simple.

It's that simple if you don't mind it not ever going into publication because it's frightening lower bidders off. Why not bid that price after a lower price has been established - that way you get your price you are determined to bid on, and everyone else gets a reasonably priced resource on their computer.

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 7:24 AM

My sympathies also. Especially since these are all public-domain books. No royalties get paid o anyone.

Posts 2757
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 11:58 AM

I was just wondering what the bid strategy would be if you paid your highest bid when the total of all highest bids paid the needed costs?  If your highest bid was 170 you would pay 170.  If your highest bid was 50 you would pay 50.  If $1 you would get it for $1.  If you dropped out and did not buy and then latter tried to buy the book your price would be your highest bid.  The starting Pre Pub price would be the higher of the Average bid and the Mean bid. 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 12:42 PM

Time to get the ole dictionary out (mean / average).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 2 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS