Help Save the Revelation Classic Commentaries

Page 3 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 62 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3751
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 1:16 PM

Dominick Sela:
I bid $160 because I am willing to pay that

And others (like me) may be voting $50 with our feet... that's all we'd pay... (YMMV)Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 1:49 PM

David Ames:
If you dropped out and did not buy and then latter tried to buy the book your price would be your highest bid.  The starting Pre Pub price would be the higher of the Average bid and the Mean bid. 

Observation: if drop out of bidding (and miss community price closing), then later want to purchase, anticipate pre-publication increases that range from 57 % to 700 % (based on current pre-publications under development for community pricing).  After resource ships, price typically increased again that ranges from 108 % to 1,566 % (compared to community price closing: one resource that closed for $ 20 now is $ 229.95 while another that closed at $ 6 is now $ 89.95, yet a third resource closed at $ 9 now is $ 149.95).  Later, Logos may offer a sale that is below pre-publication price (know of a couple instances, vast majority of sale prices are more than pre-publication price).

With retail value of $ 934.95 not know what increase to anticipate compared to community pricing close (if enough bids are placed by Logos community).

Denise Barnhart:

Time to get the ole dictionary out (mean / average).

May want to look up median too.  Noticed one dictionary meaning for average (noun) is mean.  Likewise one dictionary mean (adjective) meaning is average.

Looking at http://www.logos.com/product/8522/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-revelation, appears many Logos users are willing to pay $ 160 (noticed progress up a bit since yesterday).  If enough $ 160 bids are placed, initial closing price would be $ 160 then would need more bids to reduce $ 160 (e.g. 6.25 % more bids at $ 150 or $ 160 would reduce price to $ 150, while price reduction to $ 80 needs 100 % more bids than $ 160).

As stated on Logos Community Pricing page: "Click on the highest price you'd pay. If the final price is lower, that's what you'll pay."

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 2:49 PM

Probably the system would work better if 'Bid the highest price you think the community might actually PAY.

But first, us Americans, anyway, don't bid for anyone but ourselves!!

And second, it would completely obfuscate the process further.

I think the main reason CP isn't the number one way to build a library is because it's confusing. I avoided it for a long time due to what looked like complicated rules. I notice that continues to be a challenge for many.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 4:51 PM

Denise Barnhart:
I think the main reason CP isn't the number one way to build a library is because it's confusing.

Since September 1st, from books released and available for use you could buy 146 books for $257.  Measured in terms of cost per book, CP is clearly the number one way to build a library, if you care about cost per book. What is your criteria for #1 way to build a library?

Posts 33842
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 5:25 PM

Dominick Sela:
if you care about cost per book. What is your criteria for #1 way to build a library?

If cost per book is my criteria, I can always go for the books-by-the-foot decorating scheme. Unfortunately, my number one way to build a library is to purchase books that are on subjects that are missing to lightly covered or books that are required for a particular project. With any money left in my budget, I can look for enjoyable bargains or things that I think pushing into production is in Logos' (and my) best interests.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 5:54 PM

Dominick ... maybe MY comment was confusing!

I'm agreeing with you (CP is best way). But with such a large Logos user base, some of these CP resources should get 'bid out' almost instantly (instead of sitting in some cases for years).

Some of these of wide enough value that they should be going out the door at 1/3 to 1/2 of present prices (i.e. much more interest).

Posts 54
Tommy Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2011 3:40 PM

Tommy Miller:
I'm in at $51 (bid on Nov. 3, 2011). How did that happen?

fgh:
Where are you from? I've only seen this happen when you bid in a foreign currency and the exchange rate changes.

I am from the foreign State of Wyoming (that's a little east of Logos headquarters, but still in the US Wink), and we still use US dollars here. I did make two mistakes in my post, however. The $51 bid was entered on Nov. 3, 2010 (not 2011) as I mistyped in my first post. At that time, $51 was on the chart as the projected price. But like so many of my other CPs (mistake number two is that I labeled them "prepubs" in my first post), the projected prices have gone up on many of the ones that I had bid on over a year ago. For example, a few months back, when I was really watching these closely, I only had two or three bids in red (slated as potential failures). Now I have 24 in red. I believe the projected prices have gone up, not down, as more people have placed bids in the past 12 months.

But the real puzzle is not that the economy of a particular CP resource changes as more people bid, or change bids. The real question is why the scale itself changed from $51 (in Nov. 2010) to even ten dollar increments a year later. It seems that Logos made that change on their end.

Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64-Bit Windows 7 Professional SP1

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2011 9:51 PM

Tommy Miller:
But the real puzzle is not that the economy of a particular CP resource changes as more people bid, or change bids. The real question is why the scale itself changed from $51 (in Nov. 2010) to even ten dollar increments a year later. It seems that Logos made that change on their end.

Yes, Logos does sometimes change the scale (the low end, high end, and/or increments), but that's relatively rare. They might respond to complaints on the forum that the scale is way too high and unreasonable for such a public domain resource, or maybe there's some other reason that causes them to sometimes change the possible bidding range.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 11:18 AM

This set has nudged up a small amount on the $50 bid, but needs a much bigger push to get it above the stagnant $160, and hopefully renew interest in this great collection. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 11:39 AM

Dean053:

This set has nudged up a small amount on the $50 bid, but needs a much bigger push to get it above the stagnant $160, and hopefully renew interest in this great collection. 

I predict that the Revelation Collection will go over the top achieving an excess of the "cost of publication" in December, 2110.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3751
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:27 PM

Hi George,

I'm working on ESL as my primary language... (LOL) Would you mind translating what you said?

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:34 PM

BillS:

Hi George,

I'm working on ESL as my primary language... (LOL) Would you mind translating what you said?

The Revelation collection will succeed in achieving sufficient support to advance to pre-pub and publication status in December, 2110.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:35 PM

George ... excessive subtle sarcasm is not allowed on this forum. The next thing, you'll probably want to suggest 'TimeMachine'.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:37 PM

George Somsel:
in December, 2110

. .. well, there's still time, then . . .

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:44 PM

Dan DeVilder:

George Somsel:
in December, 2110

. .. well, there's still time, then . . .

To be slightly more accurate, it will go over the top December 6, 2110 at 9:46 pm Bellingham time.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 1:10 PM

George Somsel:

The Revelation collection will succeed in achieving sufficient support to advance to pre-pub and publication status in December, 2110.

That's assuming the events outlined in these commentaries haven't occurred beforehand. Smile

Posts 3751
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 1:23 PM

George Somsel:
advance to pre-pub and publication status in December, 2110

Ah... Got it! I got brain freeze trying to decode the earlier part & missed the date/year... Have you checked with Harold Camping to determine whether that year's prophecy of the end date will permit prepub/pub status? LOL (and apologies to anyone offended--intended only as humor)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 1:46 PM

Well I put in a bid to help out. With the Camping (humorous) replies I figured we really needed some.  Smile 

The best commentary on Revelation at this time - at least for me - is G.K. Beale's, but some other resources can't hurt .....

(though I am A-Mil, 'if' the Pre-trib view is correct won't Camping still be around to pay everyone's credit card biils Devil)

Yours In Christ

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 1:53 PM

Joe:

Well I put in a bid to help out. With the Camping (humorous) replies I figured we really needed some.  Smile 

The best commentary on Revelation at this time - at least for me - is G.K. Beale's, but some other resources can't hurt .....

(though I am A-Mil, 'if' the Pre-trib view is correct won't Camping still be around to pay everyone's credit card biils Devil)

Thank you for joining in.  I'm sure all who want this to succeed appreciate it.  I think there is only one person I can think of you got the right idea, but he didn't write what might be considered a commentary.  Try reading "City of God" by Augustine.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 1:57 PM

George Somsel:

[Thank you for joining in.  I'm sure all who want this to succeed appreciate it.  I think there is only one person I can think of you got the right idea, but he didn't write what might be considered a commentary.  Try reading "City of God" by Augustine.

Yes, Augustine's work is instructive. I hope to begin running it in our magazine next year sometime (we are doing his Confessions beginning in Jan. 2012, so it will be after that ...)

Yours In Christ

Page 3 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS