Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:09 PM

Wonder about Logos Android app for new Nook Tablet (running a custom fork of Android 2.3) ?

Found article comparing Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet => http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33198_7-57319054-286/kindle-fire-vs-nook-tablet/

Noted: Nook Tablet includes microSD expansion slot.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 28 2011 11:41 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Wonder about Logos Android app for new Nook Tablet (running a custom fork of Android 2.3) ?

Found article comparing Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet => http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33198_7-57319054-286/kindle-fire-vs-nook-tablet/

Noted: Nook Tablet includes microSD expansion slot.

Keep Smiling Smile

Hey KS4J, I am wondering the same thing.  I have heard of some getting the Kindle Fire (KF), and liking it all right, but I have not heard a peep about the Nook Tablet.  I have started considering the KF to be able to read all my Logos books more easily, not so much for "heavy study."  That's why I am not for getting a netbook, as some others, on other threads, have suggested.  I want a nice "ereader" for my Logos books. 

While Amazon is more appealing to the degree that it offers the KF as a cheaper price AND I do most of my non-Logos shopping there, I have to admit that the Nook sounds better with the expansion slot and faster processor (?) and more RAM. 

I'd sure like to know if anybody has tried the Android app on a Nook Tablet, and what they thought.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 8:19 AM

does anyone out there have the Nook Tablet and tried Logos on it?

Posts 18
Marcos Jimenez Plaza | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 9:07 AM

Hi. I found some bits on info on the nook tab here. http://community.logos.com/forums/t/37141.aspx Still you need to remember that out of the 16G available on the nook tab only 1G is available for side loaded content.

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:09 PM

Marcos Jimenez Plaza:
Hi. I found some bits on info on the nook tab here.

Marcos, thanks for checking in!

Marcos Jimenez Plaza:
http://community.logos.com/foru ms/t/37141.aspx

I don't know if you still have access to edit your comment, but if you do, consider taking out the space between "foru ms" so that the link works.  I had seen that a day or so ago, and noticed someone had posted that I hadn't seen.  Thanks.  Most of it was about the Nook Color and the discussion was older, and I wondered if Logos changed their mind any on some of their statements, like offering Logos app through BN.

Marcos Jimenez Plaza:
Still you need to remember that out of the 16G available on the nook tab only 1G is available for side loaded content.

First, thanks for pointing out it still needs sideloaded.  But can you tell me more about 1G only available for sideloaded content?  Is that just a standard Nook thing?  Also, could Logos books be downloaded to the sd card? 

Do you have the Nook Tablet yourself?

Posts 18
Marcos Jimenez Plaza | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 5:42 PM

Hi Dan. I wrote an email to B&N to ask more about the 1G limitation. After their reply im still confused. Im going to post the info on a following note. It is realy dificult to do it from my phone. I dont own a nook tab. Im as interested as you are. The only thing holding me back is the memory limitation.

Posts 18
Marcos Jimenez Plaza | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 5:46 PM

Thank you for your interest in buying our product. As you asked 1GB is the limitation for side load it includes music, pictures, videos and your side loaded compatible format books and documents how ever you can expand it to 32 GB with a SD card and use it completely for side loading.

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 8:24 PM

Marcos Jimenez Plaza:

Thank you for your interest in buying our product. As you asked 1GB is the limitation for side load it includes music, pictures, videos and your side loaded compatible format books and documents how ever you can expand it to 32 GB with a SD card and use it completely for side loading.

Thanks, Marcos.  Yeah, it looks like you can only use 1 GB of memory that is built into the Nook for sideloaded stuff.  BUT, if you save it all to the SD card (which can be up to 32 GB), then you can use all of that space for sideloaded stuff.  I am wondering if speed would be compromised (eg. accessing and using Logos books, etc.)

Posts 21
Tom Weil | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:40 PM

I am also interested in an ereader for my Logos books. My preference is for a Nook. With that said how would you load all of your Logos books on a 32 GB card and would Nook recognize it? Logos sure makes it hard when they don't have an app other than on Apple who charges like it is a phone.

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2011 7:53 PM

Dan DeVilder:

does anyone out there have the Nook Tablet and tried Logos on it?

I have a nook tablet and when I side loaded the LOGOS app from amazon, it refused to load. I still cannot get into the android store to try that version, nor have I located a bare .apk file to bring to my computer. Does anyone know where I might find one?

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2011 8:06 PM

Dan DeVilder:

...  I have started considering the KF to be able to read all my Logos books more easily, not so much for "heavy study."  That's why I am not for getting a netbook, as some others, on other threads, have suggested.  I want a nice "ereader" for my Logos books. 

I wish (and have UserVoice'd) the PC version of L4 had a [Pen &] touch-friendly reading GUI like is being built on the L4Mobile versions--for those of us who use PC Tablets/Slates and want to be able to carry our full library and toolset (sans Internet) but also want to be able to read and highlight easily without having to have the keyboard.  

A multi-touch/pen Win PC is a heavy beast...but it is a beast of burden--just wish the GUI wasn't. 

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2011 8:53 PM

Ward Walker:

Dan DeVilder:

...  I have started considering the KF to be able to read all my Logos books more easily, not so much for "heavy study."  That's why I am not for getting a netbook, as some others, on other threads, have suggested.  I want a nice "ereader" for my Logos books. 

I wish (and have UserVoice'd) the PC version of L4 had a [Pen &] touch-friendly reading GUI like is being built on the L4Mobile versions--for those of us who use PC Tablets/Slates and want to be able to carry our full library and toolset (sans Internet) but also want to be able to read and highlight easily without having to have the keyboard.  

A multi-touch/pen Win PC is a heavy beast...but it is a beast of burden--just wish the GUI wasn't. 

Dan

From the "middle" of the process of getting the nook to run android LOGOS, I think that if the small form factor of the iPod touch is acceptable, the convenience of having things "just work" is worth it. The iPad also works well, but is larger, heavier and more expensive. As near as I can tell the nook tablet can be rooted but there is no suitable version of Android to load onto it, and the LOGOS and VYRSO apps won't work on the nook tablet yet.   I am still exploring the nook to see what all it can do, and so far it looks pretty good.

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2011 1:38 PM

Robert Phillips:

Ward Walker:

Dan DeVilder:

Dan

From the "middle" of the process of getting the nook to run android LOGOS, I think that if the small form factor of the iPod touch is acceptable, the convenience of having things "just work" is worth it. The iPad also works well, but is larger, heavier and more expensive. As near as I can tell the nook tablet can be rooted but there is no suitable version of Android to load onto it, and the LOGOS and VYRSO apps won't work on the nook tablet yet.   I am still exploring the nook to see what all it can do, and so far it looks pretty good.

Thanks, Robert.  I have started to think about being content with using my wife's ipod touch for access and usibility (barring an iPad2 dropping from the sky) and just sending portions I know I want to read to my Kindle (3rd gen).  Economically driven choice.  Yeah, I need something that works, too.  :)  Best of luck to you.  Thanks for you rcomments.

Ward--Tablet PCs and the like have always intrigued me, although I am pretty sure I will not invest in one.  I agree with how you see their beneficial-ness, too.

Posts 2
Andrew H. Wakefield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 9:34 AM

Hello, all,

I have just started using the Logos Android app, which I downloaded from the Android app market. It works well within its limitations. Note that it requires an internet connection to access your full library; however, it does allow books to be downloaded. I don't know if even a 32Gb SD card will hold my full library, but I don't plan to try; I've downloaded the few books that I would want to have access to at any given time, and for the rest use the internet connection.

For reference, I am using a Nook Color (not the newer Nook Tablet) that I have converted into a full Android tablet. (Lots of instructions for doing this on the web; can be done using the SD card, so that on removal it is still the stock Nook, or it can be done more permanently. I tried it out the former way, loved it, and decided to convert it permanently. I have not been sorry I did!)

Posts 21
Tom Weil | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 11:06 AM

Why not use an IPad then or an Android tablet and have access to all of Logos

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 11:28 AM

Tom Weil:

Why not use an IPad then or an Android tablet and have access to all of Logos

For me, The Color Nook was cost-effective, especially when it first came out.

I'd love a Transformer Prime, but am waiting until it ships with ICS--and the cost somewhat dissuades me.  The iPad 2 is a fine device, but I have an aversion to iTunes on a Windows PC.  In either case, the cost gives me pause...my rooted Color Nook presently does just about anything I really need done, and you can't be "paid-for."

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:13 PM

To recap this thread. You can (easily?????) make/buy a microSD card that will convert it to a standard Andriod tablet to which you can download the LOGOS/Vyrso apps and have them run. The procedures ONLY work on the older Nook Color.  None of this works on the newer Nook Tablet. It requires different drivers and distros than the color.   

I got a Nook Tablet thinking it would work like the Color. My mistake.  When I finally got LOGOS to work it ran once then failed and never worked again. I am going to wait for further developments before I try again. If I see the apps in the Nook store I will definitely try them.  Thanks for all the help.  If I want a smaller form factor tablet I will get a Kindle Fire,  the Logos apps are in the Amazon app store. 

Edited to fix spelling errors induced by the iPad spelling corrector. 

Posts 21
Tom Weil | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 3:08 PM

I didn't know the Kindle would work. Will all models of the Kindle work?

Posts 2
Andrew H. Wakefield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2012 8:24 AM

Robert,

I'm sure you have probably been keeping an eye on this forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1397

It is amazing to me how quickly these things develop -- from a little browsing around, it looks like there is already a fairly complete modification of the NT available, but certainly nowhere near as mature as the easy-to-use Nook Color mods. However, I predict that within 3-6 months, it will be as easy on the NT as it now is on the NC. (Note: I am not a prophet, nor do I play one on TV ... :))

Another poster asked why we didn't get an iPad or Android tablet -- for me the answer was cost. I was able to get the Nook Color for $129 -- it was an overstock/refurbished unit, but as far as I can tell it was brand new, and in any case it has the full manufacturer's warranty. After modding it, it now IS a full Android tablet, and I do have access to my full Logos library via the Logos Android app.

Posts 21
Tom Weil | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:44 AM

The Nook is my preference but I don't know if the App "Logos" will work. I need a tablet that can access Logos for that is my bible software that I currently own and use extensively. Kindle has it so why not Nook?

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS