How can someone have 4,525 books?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 9 2011 6:36 PM

I just brought Logos 4 scholar's library. I had some Thomas Nelson eBible stuff 352 books with the scholar base package brings it up to an even 800 books.

I figure since I am going to be paying on this for a year maybe less I better learn it. I was look at the Logos 4 online guide and there a link to an unofficial video site called logo4training.com so I look at the video on the home page and it sais 4,525 books how is that possible?

I have 800 and I am overwhelm.

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 6:49 PM

I have 6092 and know almost instantly if I have a title or not. But I may be a bit obsessive.

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 7:00 PM

WOW! I bet you need a powerful machine my laptop takes some time to load everything. I click on bible reading plan and loading all the books etc tooks a couple mins can't picture 6,000 books.

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 7:23 PM

I have a very powerful machine. By the way, there are users on this forum with many more resources than me.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 7:26 PM

Randall Lind:

WOW! I bet you need a powerful machine my laptop takes some time to load everything. I click on bible reading plan and loading all the books etc tooks a couple mins can't picture 6,000 books.

Adding Perseus collections is one way. I have just available on my mobile device 3,704 books available. With Scholars Platinum you get a lot. Perseus about doubled my library for free. Some have the Scholars Portfolio (I wish). You also have to remember that many of those resources are commentary or multi-volume sets...that sets the resource count high. I would imagine the Mark Barnes (who makes such awesome videos) has Portfolio (I might be wrong). But once you start using Logos they add up. Each time I've just kept my Scholars package upgraded my resource count goes up.

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 7:57 PM

I am not rich so  buying scholar on payments is nice and finding Mark Barnes site was awesome. I have an headache for all the stuff I saw in the 1st 2 video's but wow learned a lot. I will be watching and re watching his video's for some time as I learn how to study.

I can see me getting up to Scholar Platinum. Portfolio is out of reach unless I get a major discount by the time I get Platinum.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:07 PM

Randall Lind:
I look at the video on the home page and it sais 4,525 books how is that possible? I have 800 and I am overwhelm.

It helps to be obssesive-compulsive. And have a spouse that just wants you to be happy. Big Smile

A thread you need to read:

My Misguided Peeking at my Logos Library Book Count

And a free book you need to download:

The Love Affairs of a Bibliomaniac

You are now officially a Logos addict. The 12-step program starts in December. It is called The 12 Days of Logos Sale.

Hello, My name is Matthew. I have 7970 books (and more on CD not yet installed.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:31 PM

Randall Lind:

I am not rich so  buying scholar on payments is nice and finding Mark Barnes site was awesome. I have an headache for all the stuff I saw in the 1st 2 video's but wow learned a lot. I will be watching and re watching his video's for some time as I learn how to study.

I can see me getting up to Scholar Platinum. Portfolio is out of reach unless I get a major discount by the time I get Platinum.

It would be hard I'm not rich either, only way I did it was got my first Scholars Library as a student in seminary with huge discount (family helped some too). Then the church I was working for got me from gold to platinum. No way I could afford portfolio right now either. Maybe someday. If you got the scholars library get the Perseus collections...has some great resources to enhance Greek word study...and it's free.

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:33 PM

How many GB does 7,970 books take? Holy crap first link 75,000 books. I doubt I will have that many ever I just wanted a good package so I can do a good study.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:51 PM

Randall Lind:
I just wanted a good package so I can do a good study.

A very worthy goal. Do not let others' book counts make you think you cannot do good studying already.

I have quite a few, but have been adding them for years. Over a thousand are actually journals and magazines. That inflates the count a bit. I have the 1,700 Persus volumes, too.

The 'problem' is that Logos 4 makes searching a lot of resources so fast and simple that having a substantial library that you only access through searches and similar Logos tools is very tempting. I admit I've succumbed but not as badly as some have. I would never manage to make good use of a paper library the size I have in Logos, but can do so with Logos' tools. It's a problem, albeit a good one in many ways.

Enjoy your scholar's library. You made a good choice to purchase at that level. I imagine your library will grow over time as mine has.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 9:18 PM

You know you're really a Logos addict when you have more Forum posts than you have books in your Logos library. But I've been less active on the forums lately, so my library count is catching up. I've got 9435 resources now (including all of Perseus which inflates the count, and a lot of journals).

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 9:43 PM

Randall Lind:
How many GB does 7,970 books take?

Probably about 25. Rosie has a rack server to take care of her collection. Smile

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 9:49 PM

My goal now is to watch and re-watch video's and pay off what I have then maybe I will get John Pipper Collection or another upgrade.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:22 PM

Mark Smith:
Randall Lind:
How many GB does 7,970 books take?
Probably about 25. Rosie has a rack server to take care of her collection. Smile

33.63 GB, if I am calculating it correctly.  I have a bunch of graphics in the Ultimate Archeology Bundle so some files are rather large.

I was curios and went looking for the resource file. On the Mac I have two resource management folders each with their own resource folder. One folder is 26.82 GB and the other Resource folder is 6.81 GB. Each folder contains actual resources that are not duplicated. Why do I have two? And do I need to force a Rebuild Index?

I thought maybe one folder was Perseus and the other my regular Logos resources but the smaller folder includes Barnes Notes. What is going on? Another weird detail is one folder shows a "last modified date" of October 6th date while the bigger folder shows today's downloads.

Posts 10548
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 3:58 AM

Rosie Perera:
I've got 9435 resources now

Remember, Jack, that coveting is forbidden Geeked

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 5:37 AM

Randall Lind:
I was look at the Logos 4 online guide and there a link to an unofficial video site called logo4training.com so I look at the video on the home page and it sais 4,525 books how is that possible?

I run the logos4training.com website, so those 4,525 resources are mine. It's worth remembering that I've been using Logos since 1999, which is the main reason why I have a lot of books - I've kept adding to my library year on year. When I started with Logos I had less than 100 books.

Randall Lind:
I have 800 and I am overwhelm.

As you learn Logos, you'll get to know your resources, and get to know the ways of preventing being overwhelmed. It won't take long to learn things like searching, collections and prioritising.

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 9:36 AM

I added the Perseus Collection now have 2,543 lol anyway Mark Barnes you really rock I really knew nothing about logos 4. Passage and Exegetical video blew me away.

I also liked the Biblical people, places and things video. I am just a lay person but wow I can see hoiw fun studying the bible will be. 

Thanks for making the video's as I don't think I can afford to go to camp logos or remember everything. I had to watch the passage and exegetical guide video 2 time to fully understand. I am missing grammar resources for John 3:23 exegetical guide.

I have Scholar's edition so not sure why no grammar books were included. Anyway keep up the good work enjoyed watching and learning from you.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 10:14 AM

Jack Caviness:
Rosie Perera:
I've got 9435 resources now
Remember, Jack, that coveting is forbidden Geeked

I am happy Rosie has more books than me. If my wife ever says I have too many, I can always point to Rosie. And I don't covet Rosie's books. I want my own copies!

Seriously, nobody can read every one of the 16,000?? books Logos has already published. If I stopped buying Logos books (Yeah, like that is ever gonna happen! Wink) and read one book a day out of my current library, it would take me almost 22 years to read them all.

So why buy any more books?  Here is why: Logos 4 is my "reading team" and my "data acquisition" service. I can search 8000 books for specific data in seconds.

Lawyers employ teams of legal aides to research the law library for decisions that relate to the case the lawyer is working on. Business executives subscribe to news clipping services that scan all the daily news outlets for articles related to the executives specific interests. Peddling information has become a hot commodity because the gathering, sifting, organizing and presentation of information takes a lot of time. When the lawyer, doctor, professor, journalist and business executive have this time consuming work done by others, it frees them up to take action on relative information that has been gleaned.

A lawyer may or may not be interested in osteopathic medical articles. A business executive may or may not need to know the latest EPA mandates about smokestack emissions. Likewise, a Logos user may or may not need a bunch of different commentaries. Some will make great use of counseling resources while other will never crack open one book about it. I really like archeology resources but won't use it for employment. I would just rather spend leisure time reading my Logos books than golfing, fishing, gardening. Other users may be totally bored with archeology.

So Logos 4 reads all 8000 of my books (including the currently un-interesting  parts) and offers up for my consumption only the best, most relevant-for-the-moment parts.

(Sorry Jack, I know you already know all this. I was writing for others who haven't looked at it this way yet.)

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 10:19 AM

When you start making up reason for having books that's when you need intervention Cool

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 10:52 AM

Randall Lind:
When you start making up reason for having books that's when you need intervention Cool

I've sunk so low I don't need a reason to buy more books anymore. Really I have always bought books because I am insatiably curious. It is often a stumbling block that keeps me from being as productive as I could be.

But I really enjoy reading about Bible backgrounds, cultural differences, and why each denomination holds sincere beliefs in quirky doctrines. If it were not for Logos published books I would have never read about "chaos monsters" or some cool information on why the tribe of Dan should have built their city where God told them to, and what resulted from their disobedience.. I did not even know to go looking for this type of information. My life has been enriched by Logos.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS