How can I have 2,543 after having 800 yesterday?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:01 AM

I had 352 book mostly Thomas Nelson eBibile stuff along with free books and a couple I brought since reinstalling logos software a month ago.

Yesterday due to some nice people telling me I could make payments on upgrade I called and brought the Scholar's edition. My 352 books went to 800 after downloading 4.42GB It also index all this took about 2hrs on my Desktop/server and a little bit longer indexing on my laptop

Talked to some great people last night on this forum about being count of books and how addicted it can become. I then went to bed. I close out of Logos 4 and went to bed.

Sometime between 1am and 8:30am Microsoft updated my server causing it to reboot. So I woke to a log in screen. I started a Logos 4 and click on library instead of having 800 books I now have 2,543.

Is this normal? Why didn't it download everything yesterday?

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:14 AM

Randall Lind:

I had 352 book mostly Thomas Nelson eBibile stuff along with free books and a couple I brought since reinstalling logos software a month ago.

Yesterday due to some nice people telling me I could make payments on upgrade I called and brought the Scholar's edition. My 352 books went to 800 after downloading 4.42GB It also index all this took about 2hrs on my Desktop/server and a little bit longer indexing on my laptop

Talked to some great people last night on this forum about being count of books and how addicted it can become. I then went to bed. I close out of Logos 4 and went to bed.

Sometime between 1am and 8:30am Microsoft updated my server causing it to reboot. So I woke to a log in screen. I started a Logos 4 and click on library instead of having 800 books I now have 2,543.

Is this normal? Why didn't it download everything yesterday?

I think you answered your own question when you said "I called and brought the Scholar's edition."  You asked for it, you got it, Toyota. Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10030
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:15 AM

Randall Lind:
I started a Logos 4 and click on library instead of having 800 books I now have 2,543.

Since scholars is listed with only several hundred resources, I can only speculate about the free Perseus Collection. Do you find "ab urbe condita" or other classical resources in your library?

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:16 AM

They explain when I downloaded Perseus free books I was downloading 1000's which added to my 800 # so now I have a bunch of books I can't read damn wish I knew that before clicking on them.

Posts 10030
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:22 AM

Randall Lind:

They explain when I downloaded Perseus free books I was downloading 1000's which added to my 800 # so now I have a bunch of books I can't read damn wish I knew that before clicking on them.

many of the Perseus resources are in English, some exist both in English and in Latin or Greek. You may filter your library by language if you want to. 

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:27 AM

Thanks not sure how useful this books will be but, it was free :)

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:28 AM

NewbieMick:
Since scholars is listed with only several hundred resources, I can only speculate about the free Perseus Collection.

Is that count (~) correct for Scholars?  Perseus was my other option, but I went with what he stated as a solution.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 27673
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:31 AM

Randall Lind:
now I have a bunch of books I can't read... wish I knew that before clicking on them.

You can call Logos customer service and ask them to remove the license form your account. Randall, I know you are frustrated, but its of your own doing. Please watch your language.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10030
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:33 AM

Randall Lind:
Thanks not sure how useful this books will be

There are a number of forum threads (try google with "Perseus site:community.logos.com") as well as blog post regarding Perseus and its potential usefulness for word studies, background... - that's regarding the classics. In fact I must admit I simply like them, others may feel different.

I did not order the American Civil War things and the Richmond newspaper, since I didn't want to clog up my library (after all, they still are readable on the Tuft university website).  

Posts 10030
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:36 AM

George Somsel:

NewbieMick:
Since scholars is listed with only several hundred resources, I can only speculate about the free Perseus Collection.

Is that count (~) correct for Scholars?  Perseus was my other option, but I went with what he stated as a solution.

http://www.logos.com/basepackages

They say that Scholars is "only" 475 (fits with prior 350), Silver 775, Gold 950.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 7:40 AM

Randall ... before you 'dump' Perseus (you might already have!) you might want to think about:

- Bob the owner of Logos has made observations about improving the 'Hide Resources' function not only to 'delete' but also to keep selected resources on the back shelf not so obvious

- Hidden in Perseus are a lot are really interesting titles. Logos is like going to college!

- I went through and tagged them and now use the 'My Tag' to group my resources. I literally never see them until I want one.

And for the life of me, I can't imagine why I'd ever want to read 'Beowulf'. But I kept it because I suspect it will be a good learning experience.

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 7:44 AM

I am keeping it just filter library by language  some of it look like good reading.

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 7:56 AM

I just started getting in to the new TV Show Grimm and the guy hunts down Beowulf who eats girls wearing red hood jackets (little red ridding hood). Not sure if it the same thing but that why I download it LOL

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:03 AM

Denise Barnhart:
 And for the life of me, I can't imagine why I'd ever want to read 'Beowulf'. But I kept it because I suspect it will be a good learning experience.

It's a rollicking good story.  You should read it. 

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:07 AM

Denise Barnhart:

You didn't read this in high school?  I've found myself saying that more often these days...

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:18 AM

No ... I was slow. I ran into it at our Bible college and the english lit professor took his subject seriously (I always hate those kind of professors). But now I think I probably should have listened!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:55 AM

Denise Barnhart:
- Hidden in Perseus are a lot are really interesting titles. Logos is like going to college!

I like to peruse Perseus for no particular reason. I've never been much of a Civil War buff so I did not expect to spend much time with the Richmond Times Dispatch. I have been pleasantly surprised with this resource because it puts me "in the moment." I ran across one small news article reporting a train conductor was walking on the roof of a moving train when it entered a tunnel, killing the conductor. I reflected on how this must have affected his loved ones, how no one on the train could imagine that event being read on computers more than a century later, how his death was forgotten and re-discovered by society, how God never forgot the conductor.

And that was just one tiny article from 1355 issues.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10545
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 2:00 PM

Denise Barnhart:
I ran into it at our Bible college

Same here. Took English Lit and American Lit during the summer. Ended up wishing I had taken them during a regular semester when I would have had more time to enjoy the material. Hey. perhaps I could read them now without class assignments and exams.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 2:42 PM

George Somsel:

Denise Barnhart:

It's a rollicking good story.  You should read it. 

I read it in high school. I loved it. I named my first car Grendel. I read it again more recently, in the new translation by Seamus Heaney, the Nobel prize-winning Irish poet. Wonderful! Way better than the Perseus edition, I'm afraid to say. I tried reading the first few lines of the latter just now, and it's virtually unreadable:

LO! we of the Spear-Danes', in days of yore,
  Warrior-kings' glory have heard,
  How the princes heroic deeds wrought.
  Oft Scyld, son of Scef, from hosts of foes,
  [5] From many tribes, their mead-seats took;
  The earl caused terror since first he was
  Found thus forlorn: gained he comfort for that,
  Grew under the clouds, in honors throve,
  Until each one of those dwelling around
  [10] Over the whale-road, him should obey,
  Should tribute pay: that was a good king!
  To him was a son afterwards born,
  Young in his palace, one whom God sent
  To the people for comfort: their distress He perceived
  [15] That they ere suffered life-eating care
  So long a while. Him therefor life's Lord,
  King of glory, world-honor gave:
  Beowulf was noted (wide spread his fame),
  The son of Scyld in Scedelands.

Beowulf, ed. James M. Garnett (Medford, MA: Ginn & Company, 1912).

Compare that to Seamus Heaney's verse:

So. The Spear-Danes in days gone by
and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness.
We have heard of those princes' heroic campaigns.

There was Shield Sheafson, scourge of many tribes,
a wrecker of mead-benches, rampaging among foes.
This terror of the hall-troops had come far.
A foundling to start with, he would flourish later on
as his powers waxed and his worth was proved.
In the end each clan on the outlying coasts
beyond the whale-road had to yield to him
and begin to pay tribute. That was one good king.

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 2:46 PM

Super Tramp:
I've never been much of a Civil War buff so I did not expect to spend much time with the Richmond Times Dispatch. I have been pleasantly surprised with this resource because it puts me "in the moment."

Perseus is also a very good resource since I am a Home Schooling parent. I personally enjoy the story Beowulf, but the Civil War and ancient writings can be useful additional resources for literature and history.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS