Kindle to Logos??

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 111
Keith Gant | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 10 2011 11:42 AM

If I purchase a Kindle book, is there any (legal) way to get it into my Logos for Windows library, such as creating a docx file from the Kindle book and then creating a PBB?

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 11:55 AM

Keith Gant:
is there any (legal) way

No. Kindle books have copy protection preventing you from doing so.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 11:59 AM

Keith Gant:

If I purchase a Kindle book, is there any (legal) way to get it into my Logos for Windows library, such as creating a docx file from the Kindle book and then creating a PBB?

Keith, you may find this site http://www.kirkdalepress.com/  http://www.logos.com/websites of interest in answer to your question. Not only the Kindle, but also the Nook, Sony reader etc..

Blessings.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 12:03 PM

Sorry, just saw you want it to go from Kindle to Logos. But the question has been raised numerous times, of going from Logos to Kindle.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 111
Keith Gant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 12:09 PM

alabama24:

Keith Gant:
is there any (legal) way

No. Kindle books have copy protection preventing you from doing so.

I suspected that might be the case, but wanted to ask to be sure. I keep running into books I want which are not available for Logos but are for Kindle.

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:25 PM

There is a very long and convoluted way that is definitely not for the faint of heart.

As to whether it's legal, here is the statement from the Kindle Terms of Use:

"Use of Digital Content. Upon your download of Digital Content and payment of any applicable fees (including applicable taxes), the Content Provider grants you a non-exclusive right to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Kindle or a Reading Application or as otherwise permitted as part of the Service, solely on the number of Kindles or Other Devices specified in the Kindle Store, and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Digital Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider. The Content Provider may include additional terms for use within its Digital Content. Those terms will also apply, but this Agreement will govern in the event of a conflict. Some Digital Content, such as Periodicals, may not be available to you through Reading Applications."

Notice the part about the Digital Content being licensed, not sold to you.  That's the part I personally think violates fair use, but then again I'm not a lawyer....

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:54 PM

Yep ... that's what allows kill switches on apps.

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 4:26 AM

Keith Gant:
I keep running into books I want which are not available for Logos but are for Kindle.

Want to name some? Have you double checked with Vyrso?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 7:47 AM

if you think about it Logos is the same way your licenses is sync to your account. Let say someone gets hacked and their account is erase  or Logos has a server farm melt down. I am guessing all books downloaded would revert back to being locked.

This is until you can call and prove who you are and what you own and have them unlock them. I maybe wrong. I know with Libronix you could have a back up saved but now with logo 4 it is different.

This is why I keep every email after buying stuff. Also I am not sure if you can transfer your books to someone else in case of death.

I hate physical software media so cloud base renting til I die is OK with me. Only different with Amazon which I hate is MPAA etc can revoke whatever at anytime meaning you are out money. I don't think Logos ever revoke a book or base package paid for.

Posts 21920
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 8:00 AM

Hi Randall - some thoughts

Randall Lind:
if you think about it Logos is the same way your licenses is sync to your account. Let say someone gets hacked and their account is erase  or Logos has a server farm melt down. I am guessing all books downloaded would revert back to being locked.

If your customer records were updated to show that you no longer owned a resource then - yes - I believe then the rights to use it would be revoked.

If, however, for some reason the Logos systems become unavailable you can still use your resources offline without any issue.

Randall Lind:
Also I am not sure if you can transfer your books to someone else in case of death.

You can transfer resources to other people at a cost of $20 per transaction. There have been a number of discussions about transfer on death. The impression I got was that Logos would do everything possible to support this.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 1426
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 8:06 AM

Legal way probably not but the only way I know is  to remove DRM from kindle books by installing the extension into calibre software. By using calibre you can reformat into .rtf format and through MS word save it as docx...

If you Google you can find solutions, but for sure,  you have to break DRM in order to do any reformatting 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:03 PM

alabama24:

Keith Gant:
I keep running into books I want which are not available for Logos but are for Kindle.

Want to name some? Have you double checked with Vyrso?

There are many, but George Ladd's Commentary on Revelation is one that I would be interested in.

We really need the courts to settle the issue of converting format of books for personal use, as they have on music.  A company saying you can't do it, as in Kindle's statement, does not make it the law of the land.  Right now it is very questionable what is legal or not.  The courts will eventually decide.  The sooner the better.

It is not difficult to remove DRM from a Kindle book, but is it legal?  There is lots of free software that will do it.  You can legally remove or ignore DRM for music to make a personal mp3.  Courts have so ruled.  But no ruling has been made on documents that I am aware of.  That remains to be seen.  In the mean time it is better to err on the side of caution, and wait on the courts.  At least that is what I am doing.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2011 9:40 AM

Here is what the law says, as best I can find.  I believe Bob said that Logos had no opinion on this.  We are talking about legally obtained documents here, and changing the format or DRM protection in order to read them with other software, such as Kindle or Logos.  We are talking about your personal use of the document because any distribution - free or otherwise - is clearly illegal.

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is an amendment to United States copyright law, passed unanimously on May 14, 1998, which criminalizes the production and dissemination of technology that allows users to circumvent technical copy-restriction methods... Under the reverse engineering safe harbor, circumvention necessary to achieve interoperability with other software is specifically authorized. See 17 U.S.C. Sec. 1201(f). Open-source software to decrypt content scrambled with the Content Scrambling System and other encryption techniques presents an intractable problem with the application of the Act. Much depends on the intent of the actor. If the decryption is done for the purpose of achieving interoperability of open source operating systems with proprietary operating systems, the circumvention would be protected by Section 1201(f) the Act. Cf., Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Corley, 273 F.3d 429 (2d Cir. 2001) at notes 5 and 16. However, dissemination of such software for the purpose of violating or encouraging others to violate copyrights has been held illegal. See Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Reimerdes, 111 F. Supp. 2d 346 (S.D.N.Y. 2000).

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 33
The Redlines | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 8:39 PM

Well by the looks of that it seems perfectly legal for what I am looking to accomplish. I simply want to read my books from within Logos. I too keep running into the problem of not finding certain books in Logos or Vyrso. This week: J.I.Packer's "Knowing God" and Timothy Keller's "The Reason for God". I enjoy using Logos for the ability of connected references and would like to find these titles if at all possible within Logos' system. Until that time I'd like to at least convert what books I do own to a PB and at least have the bible references at hand. What is the best way to accomplish it?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS