3.0 a permanent feature on HD

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:21 PM | Locked

It appears that I will be required to maintain 3.0 permanently on my computer since when I checked the "upgrade" section I found that I had most of what I wanted in the high priced spread [a margarine ad used to refer to butter as "the high priced spread"] but that only the high priced spread has Aland's Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum which I have in 3.0.  Bummer !

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:26 PM | Locked

George Somsel:

It appears that I will be required to maintain 3.0 permanently on my computer since when I checked the "upgrade" section I found that I had most of what I wanted in the high priced spread [a margarine ad used to refer to butter as "the high priced spread"] but that only the high priced spread has Aland's Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum which I have in 3.0.  Bummer !

Or you could just install the 4.0 engine and use it with your current resources.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:29 PM | Locked

I'm sure you were not completely surprised, George. I can't imagine Logos being able to create an upgrade collection for your unique interests. Perhaps for some people a 40% discount on a build-your-own package would be very nice. Then again, maybe Logos doesn't have too much you'd want that you don't have. You're a tough guy to please. ;)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:43 PM | Locked

Mark A. Smith:

I'm sure you were not completely surprised, George. I can't imagine Logos being able to create an upgrade collection for your unique interests. Perhaps for some people a 40% discount on a build-your-own package would be very nice. Then again, maybe Logos doesn't have too much you'd want that you don't have. You're a tough guy to please. ;)

I'm really most easy to please -- just give me what I want.  Wink  I can prove that I'm easy to please since I have the licenses to show that.  I started adding up what I had spent and stopped at $5,000.00 without finishing what I had purchased.  I simply have different interests from many -- that's what makes life interesting.

BTW:  Would it be considered an upgrade since I already have it albeit not in resource form but in a program function?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1739
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:03 PM | Locked

Just the engine upgrade doesn't help.  The problem, so far as I can see it, is that Logos has reworked some tools so much that they are calling them entirely new.  I have seen complaints about Biblical People and Lectionary and the engine only upgrade.  It is also an issue for some other tools.

I just brought my 1GB memory laptop to it't knees by running passage guides in both 3.0 and 4.0 at the same time on the Gospel Lesson for this Sunday.  I get the following in 3.0 Original Languages:

Parallel Passages

• A Harmony of the Synoptic Gospels (Burton, Goodspeed)
  • Old Testament Quotations and Allusions in the New Testament (Jones)
    • 2 Kings
      • 2 Kings 12:9 Mark 12:41
    • Mark
      • Mark 12:41 2 Kings 12:9
  • Synopsis of Matthew, Mark, and Luke (Jackson)
  • Eusebian Canons
  • A Harmony of the Gospels (Robertson)
  • Records of the Life of Jesus (Sharman)

A total of 6 different parallel passages datasets had links for this section of Mark 12 in Libronix 3

However, when I run the same passage in 4.0 (likewise Original Languages SE) I only get

1. Old Testament Quotations and Allusions (Jones)
  2. Synopsis of Matthew, Mark, and Luke (Jackson)
  3. A Harmony of the Gospels (Robertson)

George is basically complaining that in order to get the big-wig, accademically standard Gospel Reference for this type of work, he must upgrade to a package which has a LOT more than he wants to pay for, just for functionality he already has in 3.0 because Logos has "enhanced" these datasets by turning them into books, so the old datasets do not work anymore.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:27 PM | Locked

Kenneth McGuire:
George is basically complaining that in order to get the big-wig, accademically standard Gospel Reference for this type of work, he must upgrade to a package which has a LOT more than he wants to pay for, just for functionality he already has in 3.0 because Logos has "enhanced" these datasets by turning them into books, so the old datasets do not work anymore.

You don't seem to have Aland -- unless you simply skipped it.  I was reminded by your listing that the Eusebian Canons also aren't in 4.0.  Yet another reason to keep 3.0. 

I just paged through my library in 3.0 and found that several resources were either missing or corrupt so I redownloaded them from the ftp site.  I did find, however that there is a topical index to the NASB (NASBTOP.lbxlls) which I couldn't find on the ftp site.  I do have it in 4.0, but it's missing in 3.0 and can't be located on the ftp site.  Although I've never used it, I don't want to come to the point where I want to use it for some reason but can't locate it.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:30 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
Or you could just install the 4.0 engine and use it with your current resources.

Huh???  I'm doing that now.  My problem is that so long as I am missing features in 4.0 that I have in 3.0, I can't get rid of 3.0.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:25 PM | Locked

George Somsel:
I was reminded by your listing that the Eusebian Canons also aren't in 4.0. 

I have this resource in my 4.0. You should also.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1739
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:54 PM | Locked

George Somsel:

You don't seem to have Aland -- unless you simply skipped it.  I was reminded by your listing that the Eusebian Canons also aren't in 4.0.  Yet another reason to keep 3.0. 

Yeah, I kinda grubled when I saw that the Eusebian canons were not in Original Languages and that I needed to go to "Scholars" to get them.  And Yes, I don't have the Aland, although I do wish I did.  Where did you get yours?

I do wish that OLL had these datasets instead of, oh, the Crossways "Exploring" books or the Biblical Manhood and Womanhood...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

Posts 1739
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:17 PM | Locked

Since posting, I found where I had the comparison lists for OC and QB.  Aland and Eusebius were for Scholars and above for both those collections.  I don't know where I got the Eusebius for 3.0, but I am glad I do.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:41 PM | Locked

Kenneth McGuire:

Since posting, I found where I had the comparison lists for OC and QB.  Aland and Eusebius were for Scholars and above for both those collections.  I don't know where I got the Eusebius for 3.0, but I am glad I do.

I have the Original Languages collection, greatly supplemented, and have both the Aland Synopsis and the Eusebian Canons in 3.0.  If it isn't available for the OLL in 4.0, I guess I'll need to hold on to 3.0 since I don't intend to shell out for resources I don't particularly want to own.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:49 PM | Locked

George Somsel:
If it isn't available for the OLL in 4.0, I guess I'll need to hold on to 3.0 since I don't intend to shell out for resources I don't particularly want to own.

Your 3.0 versions will work in 4.0. I have no idea if my Eusebian Canons is in 3.0 or 4.0 format but it works in 4.0. Since you already have it if a 4.0 version of the resource comes out (if it hasn't already) yours will be updated.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:10 PM | Locked

Ditto on this end, Mark ... and George. The Eusebian Canons is in my 4.0.

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:39 PM | Locked

Mark A. Smith:
Your 3.0 versions will work in 4.0. I have no idea if my Eusebian Canons is in 3.0 or 4.0 format but it works in 4.0. Since you already have it if a 4.0 version of the resource comes out (if it hasn't already) yours will be updated.

I doubt that since in 3.0 neither the Eusebian Canons nor Aland's Synopsis is an actual resource.  They are "Tool | Bible Comparison | Parallel Passages and Harmonies" functions.  What are those files named in 4.0?  Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong name.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 130
Robert J Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:45 PM | Locked

I had several resources in L3 that were only shown in the portfolio upgrade. I upgraded to a lower level and still have those resources in L4. If you've bought it you own it and the download gives it to you.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:33 PM | Locked

George Somsel:

Mark A. Smith:

I doubt that since in 3.0 neither the Eusebian Canons nor Aland's Synopsis is an actual resource.  They are "Tool | Bible Comparison | Parallel Passages and Harmonies" functions.  What are those files named in 4.0?  Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong name.

I have it in my L4mac Alpha version George.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:34 PM | Locked

George Somsel:

Mark A. Smith:

Eusebian Canons ... really.

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:56 PM | Locked

Joe Miller:

George Somsel:

Mark A. Smith:

I have it in my L4mac Alpha version George

What package do you have?

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:42 PM | Locked

George Somsel:

I have Scholar's Gold.

The way this works in 4.0 is different than in 3.0. In 4.0 it is a stand-alone resource, not part of a tool. Perhaps that's why you don't have it in 4.0? My thinking would have been that it was a resource in 3.0 so you should get it in 4.0, but I don't have it listed as a separate resource in my 3.0 resource directory. It must just be part of a tool in 3.0. How did you get it? If it was in the 3.0 OLL it should be provided as an upgrade in 4.0. If this is so and you don't have it, maybe Logos overlooked including it.

Here's a shot of it in 4.0. You can see it's just another resource.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:09 PM | Locked

George Somsel:
Scholars.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS