Two fingers to the upward swipe gesture in two column view.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4570
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:37 AM | Locked

May I, once again raise the issue of the useless and uncontrollable gesture (two finger swipe up) when reading in a two column panel.

In this view an up or down swipe can move the pages an indeterminate distance from the original place you are reading. It is so sensitive that any slip during a two finger click to look up a word can move you far from the point you want to be.

In column view the logical gestures would be to swipe left or right to move pages and then the movement should be confined to one page per gesture (Safari gets does it correctly).

I have raised this issue before and would be grateful if somebody from the dev team would let me know if they agree that this is a disfunction and whether any change is planned.

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 4:29 AM | Locked

YesYesYes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 8:35 AM | Locked

Probably not all Mac trackpads have the same preferences; however, on my MacBook with trackpad, 'Swipe to Navigate' is for three fingers, and 'Scroll' is for two fingers. So when I swipe up or down with two fingers in a resource set to column view, it acts as a scroll button on a mouse to scroll through the resource. And when I swipe left or right with three fingers, it navigates the pages (swiping left moves forward one page and swiping right moves back one page).

If you're trackpad settings are similar, could you try the 3-finger swipe to the left or right and see if that works for you?

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 8:39 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:
when I swipe left or right with three fingers, it navigates the pages (swiping left moves forward one page and swiping right moves back one page).

It sounds like a Hebrew gesture where the text runs R—>L and the following page is therefore on the left.  And they say MACs are intuitive — don't believe it!

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:03 PM | Locked

George Somsel:
And they say MACs are intuitive — don't believe it!

Windows 7 has not caught up to Mac for gestures => http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-touch-gestures  Mac offers more.

By the way, Logos User Voice suggestion => Logos 4 Mac Enhancements is currently ranked # 19 with 177 votes

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:25 PM | Locked

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Windows 7 has not caught up to Mac for gestures => http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-touch-gestures  Mac offers more.

You mean that Windows hasn't gotten as depraved as MAC.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:33 PM | Locked

George Somsel:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Windows has not yet incorporated all gesturing available on Mac.  Windows 7 developer network page illustrates current gesturing motions => http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd940543%28v=vs.85%29.aspx 

Windows 8 has more gestures => http://www.osnews.com/story/25313/Synaptics_Maps_Windows_8_Gestures_to_Touchpads including "things like swiping in from the sides to switch between windows"

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:34 PM | Locked

George Somsel:

All the things you are making fun of now, you will be forced to learn in about 7 years. Surprise

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:48 PM | Locked

alabama24:

George Somsel:

All the things you are making fun of now, you will be forced to learn in about 7 years. Surprise

I still work as nearly as possible from the command line.  Let's go back to DOS.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 3:15 PM | Locked

George Somsel:

alabama24:

George Somsel:

I still work as nearly as possible from the command line.  Let's go back to DOS.

Mac OS X includes Terminal application that has unix command line, which is much more powerful than DOS.

For visual highlighting of verse and chapter numbers in Logos 4, wish for subset of grep.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 225
Kurt Trucksess | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 3:22 PM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:
try the 3-finger swipe to the left or right and see if that works for you?

I am trying it but can't get it to work consistently.  Sometimes no page turns.  Sometimes it turns two pages.  Doesn't feel like a smooth feature.

Dr. Kurt Trucksess www.christ2Rculture.com
Posts 4570
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 1:44 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:
Probably not all Mac trackpads have the same preferences; however, on my MacBook with trackpad, 'Swipe to Navigate' is for three fingers,

Three fingers on my track-pad - moves between 'Spaces'

Melissa Snyder:
and 'Scroll' is for two fingers.

as does mine (when scrolling either up or down or right or left)– my major point being that this is incompatible with a panel set up for column view where the concept of scrolling is non-applicable - you cannot adjust the position on a page just move by whole pages. If you try and scroll in column view there is no indication where you might end up.

Please can we make scrolling in column view more like scrolling in ibooks?

In fact if you look at the animations on System Preferences – Track Pad – More Gestures -– Swipe between Pages 

there is a perfect example of how it should work.

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 7:09 PM | Locked

Mike Binks:
Three fingers on my track-pad - moves between 'Spaces'

Mike Binks:
you cannot adjust the position on a page just move by whole pages

Mike Binks:
Please can we make scrolling in column view more like scrolling in ibooks?

YesYesYes (Did I say Yes?)

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:14 AM | Locked

Mike Binks:

as does mine (when scrolling either up or down or right or left)– my major point being that this is incompatible with a panel set up for column view where the concept of scrolling is non-applicable - you cannot adjust the position on a page just move by whole pages. If you try and scroll in column view there is no indication where you might end up.

I've submitted your request for consideration.

Posts 4570
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2011 2:11 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

Mike Binks:

I've submitted your request for consideration.

Thank you Melissa - I would be grateful if you could pass on information as to the result (and perhaps logic behind) the decision made following  the 'consideration'.

Have you any idea 

a When it will be considered?

b How long the consideration process will take?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS