L4-SR5: Crash: Search in deleted collection

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:20 PM

Repro:
1. Click Tools > Collections
2. Type the name of your collection, say "Test"; any random rules will do (I used type:bible lang:english)
3. Click Search
4. For type of search, click Bible
5. Click Collection dropdown and select "Test"
6. Click Tools > Collections again
7. Click Open
8. Right-Click on "Test" in the dropdown and select Delete (or hover over "Test" and click the X to the right)
9. Click Search
[Notice a problem already: "Test" shows as the collection to search in; but it doesn't exist anymore]
10. Without changing that collection to something legitimate, execute a search; any search will do

Result: Crash

Note: This reproduced many times; a couple of times it didn't repro and the default collection on search after step 9 was set back to "Top Bibles" automatically. It seemed to be more likely to repro if I quit Logos after step 5 and then restarted it again, but I could often get it to repro without doing that.

Config: Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 6:40 AM

This bug report might have gotten buried by the Gerda Pesswir spambot, so I'm bumping it up again to make sure someone from Logos sees it.

Posts 8654
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:05 AM

Rosie, Can you include a log file?

CTRL+click the logos icon to load the program.  Perform your crash inducing steps and when it crashes, let whatever it does complete in order to save the log file.

Then upload the log file (Click the little film strip in the reply dialog here).

The log files are located in My documents/logos log files/*.log

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8654
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:10 AM

I've been able to reproduce this scenario - though it seems a bit contrived.

Not sure how this would actually happen in daily use.

Here are my logs FWIW.

http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/1803.Logos-Log-Files.zip

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:35 AM

Thomas Black:

I've been able to reproduce this scenario - though it seems a bit contrived.

"it seems a bit contrived" -- Ha! I remember telling that to the testers when I had to fix bugs in Microsoft Word before shipping... ;-)

Thomas Black:

Not sure how this would actually happen in daily use.

It happened to me in the course of daily use, and I came up with a clearly reproducible case. I'm pretty sure what happened was I had tried out the collection feature just to learn how it worked, and didn't realized it had actually saved my dummy collection which I was just goofing around with. So when I noticed it was still there, I deleted it. Then, forgetting about that, I exited Logos. When I opened it back up again, and tried to execute a search, it crashed. I backtracked in my mind to what I'd been doing and figured out what had caused the crash and came up with those repro steps. There is no excuse for an application ever crashing, even if a user does something really boneheaded. It's probably an uninitialized variable in the code or someone trying to reference a null pointer, or something dumb like that. Good software testers do all kinds of sinister things to suss out these sorts of coding problems. I break software without thinking about it. I'm seriously not trying to be sinister. I just take it through its paces. I only wish I'd been able to get my hands on the beta more than two weeks before shipping, which is all the notice I had.

So, do you still need my log files now that you've reproduced it and uploaded your logs?

Posts 8654
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:40 AM

RosiePerera:
It happened to me in the course of daily use
I revoke my "contrived" summation Wink

RosiePerera:
There is no excuse for an application ever crashing, even if a user does something really boneheaded. It's probably an uninitialized variable in the code or someone trying to reference a null pointer, or something dumb like that. Good software testers do all kinds of sinister things to suss out these sorts of coding problems. I break software without thinking about it. I'm seriously not trying to be sinister. I just take it through its paces. I only wish I'd been able to get my hands on the beta more than two weeks before shipping, which is all the notice I had.
Heh, well we tried to break it often.  And believe me- we did.

RosiePerera:
So, do you still need my log files now that you've reproduced it and uploaded your logs?
I guess that depends on whether my logs show anything useful.  Though with the description here I think they'll be able to repro it fairly easily.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 10:20 AM

TC...

I am following your every move hoping to see the 666

Posts 8654
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 12:00 PM

Philip Spitzer:

TC...

I'm planning a double post to shoot right past it.  Just because I know you're watching.

Posts 8654
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 12:36 PM

Philip Spitzer:

Well that didn't work out so good did it?

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 5:14 AM

This crash is still present in SR6.

Posts 8885
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 10:13 PM

RosiePerera:

I think this has already been fixed in the trunk (for 4.0a) but I'll make a note to double-check the bug database to ensure this was filed.

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 27 2010 11:53 PM

Bradley Grainger:

RosiePerera:

I think this has already been fixed in the trunk (for 4.0a) but I'll make a note to double-check the bug database to ensure this was filed.

Just going back through old bug reports tying up some loose ends. This bug is definitely fixed. Not sure when it got fixed.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS