Where is "Unlock Resources'?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 62
Jason Ledbetter | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:54 PM

I semi-frequently used the "Unlock Resources" portion of logos3 to find new titles/subjects/authors.. Where is this functionality within L4?

It doesn't seem as though there is a method to switch between locked/unlocked and search at least based on title/subject/author.... (I realize that unlocked/owned resources are indexed by content so that type of searching within locked content isn't feasible).

thanks,

-jbl

Posts 1791
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:42 PM

Short answer: The place to look to find new resources and order them is www.logos.com .  Anything you order there will be installed in your Logos 4 installation.

The way Logos 4 works is by indexing YOUR library which may be different that what anyone else has.  And so the base system only knows about what you have in your library and not much at all about any locked resources.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 62
Jason Ledbetter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:45 PM

That's what I was afraid of... almost seems a step back.. thanks!

-jbl

Posts 31936
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:54 PM

In the Reading list, if you click on the locked resource you are taken to the Logos page for that product.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 224
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:55 PM

One reason I keep locked resources on my system is because of the convenience of being able to search through the titles and get a description of the resource.  It is ever so much simpler than going to the Logos web page.

Am I to understand that L4 does away with that feature? :( :( :(  (by the way, Logos' smilie page seems to be down).

Gerry

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:02 PM

Gerald P. Swetsky:

One reason I keep locked resources on my system is because of the convenience of being able to search through the titles and get a description of the resource.  It is ever so much simpler than going to the Logos web page.

Am I to understand that L4 does away with that feature?

Yes, you are to understand that. Maybe Logos will get around to redesigning their web site to make book browsing more user-friendly. But you can still use L3 for that, as long as the book is in L3 format.

[Just back from being gone for a few days.]

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:03 PM

I've found to my amazement that my new L4 resources directory seems to contain all the same material as was in my original L3 resources directory.  I can only think that when I upgraded, Logos checked my license to see which resources were licensed to me, and downloaded them all to my computer.  Yet many of these are resources which were available previously only on CD.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:37 PM

JonathanBurke:

I've found to my amazement that my new L4 resources directory seems to contain all the same material as was in my original L3 resources directory.  I can only think that when I upgraded, Logos checked my license to see which resources were licensed to me, and downloaded them all to my computer.  Yet many of these are resources which were available previously only on CD.

Jonathan,

That's exactly what L4 does. Logos has kept copies of your licenses on its server since L3 came along (sync licenses!) so now once you purchase a resource the licenses is registered on the server and the resources is downloaded to your computer - then indexed. That enables the syncing between computers - they will also store copies of your notes etc and then they sync to multiple computers you use through the internet. (home, office, cottage, pulpit)

Chris

Posts 2813
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:39 PM

I think this was to combat piracy.

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:47 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

During beta testing, Bob said so quite eloquently, forcefully and, unfortunately, realistically. Such a shame that piracy has happened with Bible software! But, sin is a reality isn't it!

Chris

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:51 PM

Gerald P. Swetsky:

I do that also for the same reason.  It sure paid dividends when upgrading to an  LBS4 product because all the resources became unlocked on LBS3 right away without all the hassle some are experiencing in supposedly not being able to access the new resources in L3. 

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:58 AM

JonathanBurke:

Since we see so many negative posts about Big Brother and how they (Logos) are taking away my rights...and previous functionality....

I think that this paragraph deserves to be read, and re-read!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2813
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 6:08 AM

Chris Elford:

Kevin A. Purcell:

During beta testing, Bob said so quite eloquently, forcefully and, unfortunately, realistically. Such a shame that piracy has happened with Bible software! But, sin is a reality isn't it!

Chris

Sadly, these efforts seldom stop the pirates and usually end up hurting the honest user.  If someone is motivated enough they will usually overcome it.

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:02 AM

JonathanBurke:
  I can only think that when I upgraded, Logos checked my license to see which resources were licensed to me, and downloaded them all to my computer.  Yet many of these are resources which were available previously only on CD.

If your Logos 3 folder was uptodate. then the file was not downloades. it was simply copied from the L3 resources folder to the L$ one, afer several installs/tests during beta, I can say "NO duplicates were downloaded during install - only new and updated resources"

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:08 AM

DominicM:

If your Logos 3 folder was uptodate. then the file was not downloades. it was simply copied from the L3 resources folder to the L$ one, afer several installs/tests during beta, I can say "NO duplicates were downloaded during install - only new and updated resources"

That's interesting.  If that were the case in my situation, I don't think I would have had to wait through a massive download.  Not only that, but given that my L3 resources folder was basically empty (the resources were in a completely different folder on a separate hard drive), there wouldn't have been much to copy from there.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 224
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:27 AM

Well, after I upgraded, L4 reported it had to download 4 Gb of files and it took a considerable length of time to do so.  I am in the habit of running an FTP program almost daily and I had the latest upgrades of all my 1,000 plus resources.

With that in mind, why did L4 have to download 4 Gb of files?

Gerry

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:44 AM

Gerald P. Swetsky:
With that in mind, why did L4 have to download 4 Gb of files?

a) there are Logos 4 versions (with a .logos4 extension) of many resources that have been optimised and rebuilt for Logos 4.

b) there are resources built just for Logos 4 which are brand new including all the new media resources that underlie the Infographics and People/Place/Things media; which are about 4gb by themselves...

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS