New topic - perhaps to raise some hackles and collect some votes

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 33772
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 6 2009 12:15 PM

This is just a test of the forum ... a comment on something I've read recently that is not in Logos nor would I recommend it. I've being reading An Uncommon Lectionary by John Beverley Butcher . He's created a lectionary with a collection of deuterocanonical, apocryphal, gnostic, patristic .. texts. Yes, he's involved with the somewhat notorious Jesus Seminar. (Yes, that's uncommonly loaded language from me.)  I was amused/surprised/shocked/dismayed ... when the Glossary informed me that the Orthodox do not use the book of Revelation.  Since the Orthodox Study Bible includes Revelation do you think:

a) I should call the publisher to inform them of their mistake

b) I should call each of the Orthodox Patriarchs and inform them of the American heresy (Revelation)

c) I should write Time magazine as a response to their long past article on the Jesus Seminar

d) I should send an abusive telegram to J. B. Butcher

e) I should chuckle and use it as a forum test

f) multiple choice questions that go beyond "d" are illegal. You'll  turn me in to the CIA during office hours.

Okay the book and the faux pas are legit ... as for the exam ... it fills space and perhaps will even generate some responses to test the forums.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 1:12 PM

MarthaJSmith:

I've being reading An Uncommon Lectionary by John Beverley Butcher . He's created a lectionary with a collection of deuterocanonical, apocryphal, gnostic, patristic .. texts. ... when the Glossary informed me that the Orthodox do not use the book of Revelation.  Since the Orthodox Study Bible includes Revelation do you think:

a) I should call the publisher to inform them of their mistake

b) I should call each of the Orthodox Patriarchs and inform them of the American heresy (Revelation)

c) I should write Time magazine as a response to their long past article on the Jesus Seminar

d) I should send an abusive telegram to J. B. Butcher

e) I should chuckle and use it as a forum test

f) multiple choice questions that go beyond "d" are illegal. You'll  turn me in to the CIA during office hours.

Okay the book and the faux pas are legit ... as for the exam ... it fills space and perhaps will even generate some responses to test the forums.

For many years the Orthodox did not use Revelation.  It may be that even today some do not, but as a general rule they do.  You can turn me in to the CIA as well since I'll opt for alternative d).  Is the charge "Exceeding the Multiple Choice Limit" (Was that a speed trap?),

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 2:49 PM

g) Report is as a type on the Logos General Newsgroups

h) all of the above

Posts 308
James W Bennett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 7:31 PM

Actually, the Orthodox accept the Revelation but do not use it in liturgy.

---

James W Bennett

http://syriac.tara-lu.com/

Posts 33772
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 7:31 PM

My recollection may be wrong but I need to prepare for teaching a class tomorrow so I'll put my foot in my mouth rather than checking my facts. I thought only the Syriac Church used the shorter NT i.e. omitting the antilegomena; off the top of my head I don't recall anything unusual in the Coptic NT. Orthodoxy in general treats Revelation as secondary in the sense that it is not used in their lectionary which is not quite the same as not being in their canon.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 33772
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 7:33 PM

Thank you - we were posting a similar response at the same time ... and you sound more certain than I.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2011 5:43 PM

I accidentally hit the 'Last' thread on the forum (it looks a whole lot like 'Next').

But I notice two things:

- MJ is really consistent in pursuing needed improvements to Logos. Just today a new forum member mentioned Orthodox resources needed.

- And interestingly enough, 'Chris' owns the 'final' thread (available to read anyway).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS