Stuttgart Electronic Study Bible - what differences are there between the two versions?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 19 2011 1:17 PM

I'm not sure whether to buy the 18 volume (http://www.logos.com/product/8484/stuttgart-electronic-study-bible) which is cheaper than th 52 volume (http://www.logos.com/product/5181/stuttgart-electronic-study-bible). 

I already have a lot of the volumes in the 52 volume, but what I'm wondering is whether the actual Hebrew resources are different, or whether the descriptions in the 52 volume set are just fuller?

The 52 offers "Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with text critical apparatus and linguistic WIVU database" whereas the 18 simply says: "BHS Apparatus Criticus" so presumably it doesn't have the linguistic database (what is the linguistic database?). The 52 has tree analysis as well (presumably nothing to do with dendrology). 

I guess I should go ahead and call Sales on Monday, but was wondering if anyone knew. 

The 52 lists the resources available in the new Quinta edition:

"Biblia Hebraica Quinta (BHQ) fascicles Deuteronomy, Megilloth, Esther, Ezra, Nehemiah, Song of Solomon, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations"

But the 18 simply says: "Biblia Hebraica Quinta"

Hmmm.

I already have Lightfoot's apostolic fathers; I have Metzger's textual commentary. I don't need Bibles in French, German, Danish, Russian, Modern Greek etc. I already have all the English Bibles. I don't particularly need anymore Greek lexicons. I don't really care for the Gospel of Thomas. The Hebrew-German dictionary would be nice but isn't worth paying all the extra on. 

But I don't want to get lesser Hebrew products.

Anyone familiar with these?

Posts 2698
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 1:35 PM

I hear there is a new version of SSEB for Logos 4 due at some point..might be worth waiting for, as I understand it SSEB 3 has issues with Logos 4

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 27914
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 1:39 PM

Another thread implies the SSEB 4 is not coming in the foreseeable future.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 1:50 PM

Mark has a lot of history on this, so hopefully he'll pipe up.

The smaller version (Logos version) was an effort to get access to SESB resources affordably. So for me, the various apparatus are very much worth it

The big boy is mainly WIVU. I have that, and just from an operability standpoint, the treeview craters my PC using L4 (meaning there is NOTHING else that is going to happen while the mouseover responds). That's on a netbook which is decent for the rest of Logos.

WIVU itself has specialized queries and thus some stay on L3 just for that.

However much of WIVU's cratering treeview can be done with Anderson Forbes phrase marker analysis (the latter introducing ANOTHER discussion recently).

Overall, unless you want WIVU, the Logos version is quite affordable for what you get (even the USB4 translational notes).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 2:09 PM

I found some of the other threads on this. Looks like SESB 4 is already available:

http://www.rehme-buch.de/geisteswissenschaften-kunst-musik_70/sesb-4-0-stuttgarter-elektronische-studienbibel_7519074.htm

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sesb&x=0&y=0

Here's the thread I got the above from:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/28211/208888.aspx#208888

I'm wondering now about this licensing agreement - if we purchase in the USA but move to Europe, are we still able to use the Logos version?

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 2:22 PM

Dean053:
Looks like SESB 4 is already available:

Sadly not - check this thread out, looks like its status is unknown and certainly not imminent now. Which stinks.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 2:24 PM

Denise Barnhart:

Mark has a lot of history on this, so hopefully he'll pipe up.

The smaller version (Logos version) was an effort to get access to SESB resources affordably. So for me, the various apparatus are very much worth it

The big boy is mainly WIVU. I have that, and just from an operability standpoint, the treeview craters my PC using L4 (meaning there is NOTHING else that is going to happen while the mouseover responds). That's on a netbook which is decent for the rest of Logos.

WIVU itself has specialized queries and thus some stay on L3 just for that.

However much of WIVU's cratering treeview can be done with Anderson Forbes phrase marker analysis (the latter introducing ANOTHER discussion recently).

Overall, unless you want WIVU, the Logos version is quite affordable for what you get (even the USB4 translational notes).

I'm not sure I completely understand you.  Are you saying that there is a "treeview" in SESB (which you have) and which brings your computer to its knees in L4?  If you're simply talking about WIVU, I have the file for WIVU, but I don't have SESB.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 2:33 PM

Yes.  Keep in mind 'SESB' is the CD which includes 2 WIVU resources, the database and the 'treeview' constituency trees. The latter is quite 'visual' but chews up major L4 cycles on mouseover.  The more expensive CD (and also the 3.0 update) show both. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 2:48 PM

Dominick Sela:

Dean053:
Looks like SESB 4 is already available:

Sadly not - check this thread out, looks like its status is unknown and certainly not imminent now. Which stinks.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Looks like SESB 3 will be around for the foreseeable future. I guess I should think about getting that version. 

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 6:17 PM

George Somsel:
I'm not sure I completely understand you.  Are you saying that there is a "treeview" in SESB (which you have) and which brings your computer to its knees in L4?  If you're simply talking about WIVU, I have the file for WIVU, but I don't have SESB.

In Logos 3 I can do Syntax Searches with the WIVU. Not possible under Logos 4. It's just a syntax tree to look through, but really not able to use any tools with; it might as well be in paper form. Not good.

I know some are thinking about getting SESB 3, IMHO that's a waste of money. You have no tools support with it. You are better off using syntax search and morph search with the other fine databases Logos offers. Until SESB/WIVU is integrated into Logos 4, why buy it?

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 7:20 PM

Dominick ... you don't use NT apparatus? (NA27, USB4, LXX, MT, etc)?

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2011 4:45 AM

Denise Barnhart:

Dominick ... you don't use NT apparatus? (NA27, USB4, LXX, MT, etc)?

Some - I got into the habit of doing syntax searches with WIVU and I liked it. They are two different things, no? Apparatus shows variation in manuscripts, syntax search with a favorite database finds constructs of interest.

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2011 5:13 AM

Yes, they're different ... but if someone wants the apparatus, SESB (for Logos) is the only road to go for NA27, USB4, etc.

(I was referring to your recommendation not to get SESB.)

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2011 5:20 AM

Denise Barnhart:

Yes, they're different ... but if someone wants the apparatus, SESB (for Logos) is the only road to go for NA27, USB4, etc.

(I was referring to your recommendation not to get SESB.)

Ah - point taken. I know there are other NT Apparati, but I am not an expert on which one is best.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 6:16 AM

I took the plunge, and like the result. I especially like that BHS displays the English and German definition of a Hebrew word, so that I can improve my German a little at the same time. 

Just one thing I'm wondering - I seem to have two copies of BHS SESB - as far as I can tell they are totally identical. 

Any one know why this is?

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 6:34 AM

Yahoo!! You'll love it. I especially like the LXX and MT apparatus not going hog-wild but still a lot of detail.

I have 2 BHS's from SESB. Are you referring to the 2 morph schemes (WIVU and the other from Talstra / Amsterdam)?

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 6:54 AM

Denise Barnhart:

Yahoo!! You'll love it. I especially like the LXX and MT apparatus not going hog-wild but still a lot of detail.

I have 2 BHS's from SESB. Are you referring to the 2 morph schemes (WIVU and the other from Talstra / Amsterdam)?

Both of mine are the same - maybe this is a mistake I need to call about. They are both Talstra. 

I only have the version WIVU which I had before SESB.

Posts 112
Tim Finlay | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 11:26 AM

Actually, the correct plural of "apparatus" is not "apparati." "Apparatus" is fourth declension, not the more common second declension. For the plural, one should use either the English form of the plural, "apparatuses," or the latin form "apparatus" (in which case the u is long, thus distinguishing it from the singular form which has a short u). I have made this same mistake myself, and have seen many other university proffessors do so. I know I am quibbling, but the forums are a good place for levity.

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 12:20 PM

Quibble away! I'd wondered about this a long time (plural of apparatus).

Posts 112
Tim Finlay | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 5:07 PM

I knew I would embarass myself somewhere in my quibble--in this case it was in not spelling "professor" correctly.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS