4.5B7 - HEY LOGOS - DONT STEAL MY NOTES - PLEASE/THANKS

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2693
DominicM | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 19 2011 2:41 PM | Locked

Ok this got raised in 4.5 Beta 2, and is still an issue.. although I am surprised it hasnot been sorted yet.

so add a higlighted style annotation or several, and also add a reference annotation.. (as below)

thinking months down line you decide to remove the markup..  when we highlight the selection, and erase it, from the "Erase" on the highlighting panel it all goes badly wrong (below)

all the corresponding notes get wiped even though there are Annotations present except the reference note..

Issues:

1. there is no undo (ctrl-z) so you can't reinstate them
  2. auto-deleting annotation of any kind where content exists is to me bad practice...
  3. If there is content please only remove the markup and NOT the note.

This is getting to stage where if it remains like this  I will not be updating from 4.3 to 4.5 when it goes gold

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 3:04 PM | Locked

DominicM:
all the corresponding notes get wiped even though there are Annotations present except the reference note..

SOLUTION:  Don't highlight.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 3:27 PM | Locked

With Leiden on the line, highlights have to go.

Posts 2693
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2011 1:58 PM | Locked

George Somsel:

DominicM:

Sadly not an option, senility at 40 makes it a requirement, not an option..

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2011 2:12 PM | Locked

DominicM:

George Somsel:

DominicM:

Sadly not an option, senility at 40 makes it a requirement, not an option..

Fortunately I'll only be 39 on my next birthday.  Wink  Sorry to hear about your condition.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2693
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2011 10:32 AM | Locked

so.. am I the only one who sees this as a problem?

Maybe its me :P

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2011 11:42 AM | Locked

Sounds like a problem to me!

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2011 2:06 PM | Locked

DominicM:

Issues:

1. there is no undo (ctrl-z) so you can't reinstate them

I don't put any value on Undo when sync'ing is involved.

DominicM:

• auto-deleting annotation of any kind where content exists is to me bad practice...
  • If there is content please only remove the markup and NOT the note.
  • The Highlight Erase is a definite problem due to the blurring of Highlighting/Notes in 4.5. The earlier beta 2 discussion did not attract any response from Logos and I had the impression that there is nothing to discuss as this will be the implementation. 

DominicM:
    This is getting to stage where if it remains like this  I will not be updating from 4.3 to 4.5 when it goes gold

We really need Logos to buy into this discussion.

Dave
    ===

Windows & Android

Posts 59
    Todd White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2011 9:26 PM | Locked

We are aware of the issue and are considering options for a future Beta.

Posts 18668
    Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2011 9:35 PM | Locked

I was very nervous about upgrading to the beta when I heard people's negative reactions to the merging of these two features. I've decided to stop using highlighting and notes until this is all sorted out. I don't have the time I used to have to be a beta tester, so I'm counting on all you guys and gals to find the problems and keep pestering Logos to fix them before they release this to the public.

Posts 2693
    DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2011 10:08 PM | Locked

Todd White:

the soloution is realy straight forward, as I see it is a simple logic issue:

[LOGIC]

if Highlight.panel.erase.click then [select matching records for selection]
    matching.records.first
    while not matching.records eof do
    begin
      if [Paragraph.Text] ="" then mark for deletion
         else update highighting fields to same as no note label (ie no mark-up and no highlight)
      next
    end

[/LOGIC]

Ok I may likely be over simplifying it, but thats how it appears to me..

Posts 24928
    Forum MVP
    Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2011 10:24 PM | Locked

Todd White:

Todd,

Delete/Remove functions need to be clear, unambiguous and two-step. "Erase" is a bad label name if it can affect annotations!

Dave
    ===

Windows & Android

Posts 853
    Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 22 2011 11:14 AM | Locked

Dominic,

Are you saying that you highlighted only the highlighted text - hit ERASE - and Logos deleted your notes as well? if you go in with more precision (which does take more time) does the issue remain?

Posts 2693
    DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 22 2011 11:41 AM | Locked

Ron Corbett:

Are you saying that you highlighted only the highlighted text - hit ERASE - and Logos deleted your notes as well?

yes

Ron Corbett:

if you go in with more precision (which does take more time) does the issue remain?

eeven 1 at a time it still removes the attatched note text. (which I beleive it should not)

Posts 4763
    David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 22 2011 12:19 PM | Locked

The main reason I still use L3 almost exclusively is because of Notes. The notes function in L4 is ABYSMAL.

Posts 2693
    DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 22 2011 12:37 PM | Locked

David Paul:

The notes function in L4 is ABYSMAL.

Well what can I say.. . I have typed volumes myself in the past on notes inadequacies... for me the move away from HTML to RTF in  2.1  is/was the top of the slide, but I unlike you (by the sounds of it) believe we have reached the bottom and are slowly improving again.

Abysmal is a bit strong for me, I would like to say they are improving, and beleive once this "kink/bug" is ironed out, a lot of peple are gong to call it a major step forward again..

Posts 4763
    David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 22 2011 1:31 PM | Locked

I'm glad to hear things...after the egregious, plummeting nose-dive...are improving. I seriously doubt they will ever improve to my satisfaction, though. The very "physical" STRUCTURE of notes is irretrievably broken from my perspective. I can only surmise that my usage pattern for notes is vastly different from just about everybody else's. As I have said before, and will only briefly mention here, I use the pop-up feature of L3 notes for doing Bible-study presentations. The change from a large pop-up window to one limited to about 2.5x3 in. sq. pretty much made L4 DOA from my perspective. Also, the crisp, clean Note input window in L3 is vastly superior to the confusing jumble that L4 offers. I would love to have my disgruntled doubts about L4 eventually proved wrong, but I suspect the man of lawlessness will be revealed long before any helpful change comes...

Posts 24928
    Forum MVP
    Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 22 2011 1:33 PM | Locked

DominicM:
    once this "kink/bug" is ironed out, a lot of peple are gong to call it a major step forward again..

Logos still need to demonstrate reliability, especially with a LARGE number  e.g. no more duplicates, safe recovery, improved performance.

Dave
    ===

Windows & Android

Posts 2693
    DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 22 2011 2:02 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

DominicM:
    once this "kink/bug" is ironed out, a lot of peple are gong to call it a major step forward again..

Logos still need to demonstrate reliability, especially with a LARGE number  e.g. no more duplicates, safe recovery, improved performance.

True, very true.. am sure we will still have "OH NO, WHAT DID THEY DO.." moments during the beta cycle.. but am praying God gives tthem the wisdom of Solomon, and am quetly optimistic they will get there (soon[er] than the soon we have awaited for the hilighting on our mobile devices...)

Posts 5013
    DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 26 2011 3:03 PM | Locked

David Paul:
    I use the pop-up feature of L3 notes for doing Bible-study presentations. The change from a large pop-up window to one limited to about 2.5x3 in. sq. pretty much made L4 DOA from my perspective.

I don't do bible study presentations at this point but agree this is a negative David.  Not sure of the reasoning on why this is no longer in L4

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS