New Year, Bible reading and spiritual disciplines

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 116
First Reformed Harrisburg | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 23 2011 5:04 AM

All,

As the new year approaches, I'm curious how others will be leveraging the Logos platform for their spiritual disciplines. 

Possibly *cough* this would be a fantastic Morris Proctor blog.  I'd love to incorporoate my Logos into my reading/devotion/prayer life.  More specifically, I'd like Logos to aid me in the same. 

I would love to plan my disciplnines into logos and have a daily schedule with tools in Logos I could leverage in accomplishing and tracking them.  For example:

Maybe I plan to fast once a day every 2 months; could a daily dashboard remind me and optentailly have a connection to my calendar (ical)?  Also, maybe I want to ready my daily reading plan, I could enter Logos through this same dashboard and click to begin my reading and my success or failure would be recorded.  Next, maybe I ALSO want to read through some other resources, on a schedule that I wnated tracked as a part of my overall spiritual discipline; this too could be in my dashboard.

Moreover, I may wish to be praying specifically, having my prayers tracked, being reminded of them, and further, maintiaing a few journals, a devoitional one, a prayer one, and another one. 

It would seem this spiritual discipline component would fit well within Logos, be accessible on the go using the cloud platform and mobile/desktop apps, and potentially offer an aspect of accountability with others I chose to share access with.

Any way, as we come on a new year, items on my mind, but ways I've wanted to use Logos for some time now.

I'm curious from others, how do you work around using bits and pieces of Logos in implementing your spiritual disciplines?

Grace and peace,

John Weathersby

Harrisburg, PA.

www.transcendchurch.org

Posts 33795
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 2:00 PM

John R. Weathersby:
As the new year approaches,

Actually, I use a liturgical year so it is really approaching (this coming Sunday). Although it would do little for me, I like your idea very much. For myself, what I would want as a "Devotions Guide" or dashboard would be:

• a lectionary section in which I could choose between the day's options and mark readings as read. This would need to allow for multiple lectionaries i.e. both the Sunday and daily RCL's
  • a calendar devotional/prayer book section that behaves much like a lectionary but is divided into the times of prayer. Think of something as simple as "Morning and Evening" (currently on my home page by default not request) to full-blown Liturgy of the Hours (one or more such lists)
  • a prayer list section function for one or more prayer lists ... with some enhancements to the prayer lists that are currently in uservoice as suggestions
  • a section for a function that parallels prayer lists to provide quotes for the day (I currently smuggle this function into Logos disguised as a prayer list)
  • a note file to serve as a journal in which one can enter time stamps with a single click
  • a reading plan section

All sections could occur multiple times within the guide.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 116
First Reformed Harrisburg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 5:41 PM

MJ,

That makes two of us.  Yes, a 'dash board' of sorts, would be fantastic!  How do we submit this kind of request?  I'd think others would be into it too..

Thoughts?

Grace and peace,

John Weathersby

Harrisburg, PA.

www.transcendchurch.org

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 6:37 PM

All of these are good ideas. Where Logos will help me in the coming year is I want to go through a book of the Bible, having the notes and highlighting features will work better on my iPad. I want to just read and carefully mark up the text. I think just having these features on the iPad app in general will make my study of Scripture much more productive. 

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 33795
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 6:40 PM

John R. Weathersby:
How do we submit this kind of request?

I have submitted to suggest@logos.com and put a fuller version referring to this thread in the suggestions forum. Go to http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/2409530-create-a-devotional-guide-parallel-to-pg-eg-and-  to vote for this suggestion. And remember you can add comments to modify my description..

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 6:51 PM

MJ. Smith:

John R. Weathersby:
How do we submit this kind of request?

I have submitted to suggest@logos.com and put a fuller version referring to this thread in the suggestions forum.

Is suggest@logos.com for features as well? I thought it was for resources, and UserVoice was for features? What is the purpose of each, are we supposed to use both?

Posts 116
First Reformed Harrisburg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 7:07 PM

MJ, thanks for taking the time to document this!  WOW - I'm blown away.  I SOOOOO hope they do this.  This would be revolutionary! I dont think anyone could pull it off as well as Logos.

John Weathersby

Harrisburg, PA.

www.transcendchurch.org

Posts 33795
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 8:35 PM

Philana Crouch:
Is suggest@logos.com for features as well?

I don't know what Logos thinks but suggest@logos.com was used before uservoice so I've simply continued to use it assuming they at least will read it before deciding I sent it the wrong place.Smile Occasionally, I'll send one directly to the president.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 8:56 PM

MJ. Smith:

Philana Crouch:
Is suggest@logos.com for features as well?

I don't know what Logos thinks but suggest@logos.com was used before uservoice so I've simply continued to use it assuming they at least will read it before deciding I sent it the wrong place.Smile Occasionally, I'll send one directly to the president.

Thank for the info...I thought for some reason UserVoice was the method we were supposed to use, glad suggest@logos.com works for that still (I thought they had changed it). Most times I see someone ask for a feature UserVoice is mentioned, so I thought Logos wanted us to use that instead. 

I really like this devotional guide idea. Also a prayer journal. 

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 29923
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 4:37 AM

Philana Crouch:
Also a prayer journal. 

YesYesYes

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 33795
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 11:43 AM

Philana Crouch:
Also a prayer journal. 

That what the next to last item (dated notes file) is intended for. I did make it more explicit in the suggestion http://community.logos.com/forums/p/41308/307874.aspx#307874  and uservoice version.

Posts 116
First Reformed Harrisburg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 12:10 PM

All,

I'd see a prayer journal as a part of a greater component.  What were talking about here is MORE than just a journal, rather a component or module of grouped functionality within Logos, that help one to manage spiritual disciplines, leveraging a calendar and method of keeping up-to-date with the planned activities (fasting, prayer, journaling, devotion, bible reading, etc)

Hope this helps.

John Weathersby

Harrisburg, PA.

www.transcendchurch.org

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS