Non US user ineligible for competition… AGAIN!

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 32
Jonathan Mackwell | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 24 2011 2:07 AM

Hi All,

I love logos products but I'm getting a bit disillusioned with their supposed competitions as they are only ever open to US citizens! Maybe there is 'slight' reason if there are shipping cost, but when the prize is $250 logos credit which could be applied to anybody's account indiscriminate of country, I struggle to see any justification. Please Logos, remember there are many of your users in the big world outside the US. I normally wouldn't say anything but I feel both us non-US and US users need to push for a bit more equality.

Otherwise Logos, keep up the good work and may God continue to bless you in your work and ministry.

Shalom,

Jonathan

My website: http://www.mackwell.co.nr/ the website of the missionary organization: http://www.wec-int.org/cms/ 

Posts 30128
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 2:16 AM

Jonty:
I normally wouldn't say anything but I feel both us non-US and US users need to push for a bit more equality.

You realize, don't you, that the issue is one of each country having different laws regulating such competitions. Logos simply does not want to spend the money on a lawyer specializing in contest law for each country that has a potential contest entrant.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 2:56 AM

It might be helpful if Logos put a note to say US entrants only, with a link to explain why.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 4:21 AM

MJ. Smith:
Jonty:
I normally wouldn't say anything but I feel both us non-US and US users need to push for a bit more equality.

You realize, don't you, that the issue is one of each country having different laws regulating such competitions. Logos simply does not want to spend the money on a lawyer specializing in contest law for each country that has a potential contest entrant.

Why does the world have to be so complicated? Sad

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 9:13 AM

nicky crane:

It might be helpful if Logos put a note to say US entrants only, with a link to explain why.

Peace, Nicky!                          and                   Always Joy in the Lord!                                *smile*

Yes!                               Indeed!                                      I do not understand why Logos cannot come up with a solution like that to this problem!  I, with you, ask them to please take a look at it again!    Please!  Logos, just please say "U.S. residents only!"                How complicated can that be?       

John 1:29           

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 30128
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 12:14 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
How complicated can that be?       

You would be surprised. Just reporting money received by non-resident aliens in the US is [an introduction to] hell. There is a Boston law firm that makes this their sole specialty - catering to educational and art organizations. For a while the feds would admit that they called the law firm occasionally to figure out their own regulations.Zip it!

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 1:36 PM

MJ. Smith:
There is a Boston law firm that makes this their sole specialty - catering to educational and art organizations. For a while the feds would admit that they called the law firm occasionally to figure out their own regulations.Zip it!
Peace, Martha!                        *smile*

Thanks for the humour.  You're correct -- of course!            For me it's just a matter of Logos being upfront -- in plain text -- along with the "win!" and the "give-a-way!" letting us know right off the bat that it's just for legal residents of the U.S. of A!              It was late last night when I entered the contest, fully aware that I was not likely to win anything.  However, it was easier to enter the contest than to find and examine the fine print of the rules, which I did later out of curiosity.

John 8:12

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 4:16 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

MJ. Smith:
There is a Boston law firm that makes this their sole specialty - catering to educational and art organizations. For a while the feds would admit that they called the law firm occasionally to figure out their own regulations.Zip it!
Peace, Martha!                        *smile*

Thanks for the humour.  You're correct -- of course!            For me it's just a matter of Logos being upfront -- in plain text -- along with the "win!" and the "give-a-way!" letting us know right off the bat that it's just for legal residents of the U.S. of A!              It was late last night when I entered the contest, fully aware that I was not likely to win anything.  However, it was easier to enter the contest than to find and examine the fine print of the rules, which I did later out of curiosity.

John 8:12

Milford,

I have a solution for you — emigrate to the US and obtain a "green card" then you will be eligible.  Wink  I have no idea why they make this reservation, but I'm fairly sure they have a good reason (legal restriction?).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 4:26 PM

Peace, George!           

שָׁל֣וֹם

*smile*           Which would one do first?  Emigrate?  Obtain a green card?

Yes, I'm certain that Logos do have a very good reason indeed for their restrictions.  However, it would be appreciated if they could make that a bit more clear before a person jumped through the hoops to find out there's no laurel wreath at the end of the jump.             *smile*

Psalm 133:1

Posts 1090
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 4:38 PM

I read the rules as including Canadians except those residing in Quebec (which is the usual disclaimer because they have different laws than the rest of Canada) but I see that you could read it as applying only to US residents residing in the US or those US residents who reside in Canada but this would be a rather strange limitation imho.

Tom

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 5:05 PM

Peace, Tom!                   *smile*

If only you were correct!            I think I do understand that it would be too difficult for Logos to handle all  of the implications of opening the contest to residents of other countries, other - that is! -- from the country in which Logos is located.

However, the rules state explicity (if one can find the rules!   only after great difficulty, eh?)

quote: 

Logos Sweepstakes - Official Rules

1. ELIGIBILITY: Logos Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia over the age of 18 with access to the Internet at all times during the Sweepstakes and subsequent prize-award period unless otherwise specified by Logos.

Amos 5:24

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 5:20 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
However, the rules state explicity (if one can find the rules!   only after great difficulty, eh?)

You see?  You automatically disqualified yourself by your self-identification as a Canadian with your "eh?"  Smile  Tsk, tsk, you need to learn to play the game.  Devil

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3718
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 5:20 PM

Regardless of whether you are eligible or not - here is a link to the contest:

http://bit.ly/sxU3dE

I had a tough time finding it when I went looking after seeing this post.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1090
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 10:19 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

quote: 

Logos Sweepstakes - Official Rules

1. ELIGIBILITY: Logos Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia over the age of 18 with access to the Internet at all times during the Sweepstakes and subsequent prize-award period unless otherwise specified by Logos.

I'm not sure where you found those rules but when I click on enter the contest http://www.logos.com/images/BF-images/blackfridaypromo.html and then on "terms and conditions" at the bottom it states this:

"ELIGIBILITY: The Black Friday Giveaway is open only to legal U.S. residents residing in the 50 United States and Canada, excluding Quebec. The winner must be 18 years old or older on November 23, 2011."

I took that to mean that by "and Canada" it includes Canada (i.e. Canadians), excluding Quebec residents (a standard disclaimer) not that it means U.S. residents residing in Canada are eligible because that would entail being a U.S. citizen residing in Canada and therefore not resident in the U.S. Does that mean U.S. citizens who have a Canadian billing address but are actually U.S. citizens. Would winners have to fax a copy of their passport to Logos?

About as clear as mud, eh.

Posts 11103
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 6:15 AM

Tom Reynolds:
I'm not sure where you found those rules but when I click on enter the contest http://www.logos.com/images/BF-images/blackfridaypromo.html and then on "terms and conditions" at the bottom

Well, Milford's is the one linked from the Black Fraday Main site, but also comes up when you go to the same page you mentioned and then on "official rules" near the bottom. Nonetheless you terms and conditions also claim to be the official rules -  Logos should clarify, two different sets of rules is not the most sensible thing to do...

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 5315
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 12:47 PM

I am most definitely NOT AMERICAN… but Canadians are allowed to enter too. Except the Quebecois for some reason (maybe because the rules aren;t laid out in  french twice the size of english, lol ;)  )….

-Dan

Jonty:

Hi All,

I love logos products but I'm getting a bit disillusioned with their supposed competitions as they are only ever open to US citizens! Maybe there is 'slight' reason if there are shipping cost, but when the prize is $250 logos credit which could be applied to anybody's account indiscriminate of country, I struggle to see any justification. Please Logos, remember there are many of your users in the big world outside the US. I normally wouldn't say anything but I feel both us non-US and US users need to push for a bit more equality.

Otherwise Logos, keep up the good work and may God continue to bless you in your work and ministry.

Shalom,

Jonathan

Posts 10787
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 3:32 PM

Dan Francis:
I am most definitely NOT AMERICAN… but Canadians are allowed to enter too.

Isn't Canada located on the North American Continent? US citizens do not constitute all Americans—or do they? Hmm

Posts 1090
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 6:34 PM

Jack Caviness:

Isn't Canada located on the North American Continent? US citizens do not constitute all Americans—or do they? Hmm

Normally when we (in North America) say Americans we mean "United States of America-ns" and not North and South Americans as a whole.

Posts 5315
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 8:27 PM

Tom Reynolds:

Jack Caviness:

Normally when we (in North America) say Americans we mean "United States of America-ns" and not North and South Americans as a whole.

Exactly all living in north and south america are americans but generally only US people call themselves so….and because the USA referred to itself as america, I have always been perfectly happy to let them keep the title. 

-dan

PS: I honestly have never heard any USA citizen refer to their nationality as anything but American, but perhaps there is another way to describe the nationality of citizen's of the USA.

Posts 11103
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 26 2011 9:43 AM

Dan Francis:
: I honestly have never heard any USA citizen refer to their nationality as anything but American, but perhaps there is another way to describe the nationality of citizen's of the USA.

I think this discussion is off-topic for the two sets of official rules, as they don't talk of "American" people, but of "legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia" who could be any nationality but must live in the US or alternatively of "legal U.S. residents residing in the 50 United States and Canada, excluding Quebec" which doesn't make much sense (US resident residing in Canada?) and should be clarified as ..and residents of Canada, excluding... if the Giveaway was meant to include Canadians as well.

By the way: am I correct in assuming that the second version that might include Canadians excludes residents of DC and both versions exclude not only US citizens living abroad but also armed forces people that live abroad on US territory, but not within the 50 states? 

I don't think Logos intended this chaos...

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS