How do I fix up of Greek quotes in Word docs so Logos will properly display in PBB files.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 39
Peter Banks | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 30 2011 9:06 AM

I have been migrating my favorite version of Calvin institutes from PDF to Word DOCX to Logos PBB.

I am about 80% through book 1.

Moving  PDF text to Word works great the Greek displays properly no problems.

However Logos mangles the Greek when I compile the Word Docx file. I noticed that both Word and Logos support a number of common Greek fonts but not the Koine Medium font the pdf used. I suspect that the font used is a True type font what needs to be converted. Where the Greek references represent only maybe 1% or 2% of the total text. It makes sense to clear away the mangled text and just reenter the text in one of the commonly supported Greek fonts. I have 2 questions

Which of the common fonts will work the best?

How do I determine which keys to map to which greek characters?

Developing character:

pab

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 9:11 AM

Peter Banks:

I have been migrating my favorite version of Calvin institutes from PDF to Word DOCX to Logos PBB.

I am about 80% through book 1.

Moving  PDF text to Word works great the Greek displays properly no problems.

However Logos mangles the Greek when I compile the Word Docx file. I noticed that both Word and Logos support a number of common Greek fonts but not the Koine Medium font the pdf used. I suspect that the font used is a True type font what needs to be converted. Where the Greek references represent only maybe 1% or 2% of the total text. It makes sense to clear away the mangled text and just reenter the text in one of the commonly supported Greek fonts. I have 2 questions

Which of the common fonts will work the best?

How do I determine which keys to map to which greek characters?

Developing character:

pab

You will want to use one of the Unicode fonts (ex: SBL Greek). If you search the forums, I believe there is a macro for Windows that can find the Greek substitute the font for the correct one.

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 23960
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 9:13 AM

Philana Crouch:
I believe there is a macro for Windows that can find the Greek substitute the font for the correct one.

The discussion at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/37520/281160.aspx might be helpful

Graham

Posts 39
Peter Banks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2011 11:11 AM

I have made some significant progress solving this problem.

I have added the Microsoft Polytonic Greek keyboard support  to my PC. I have been able to correct the all the greek references to the footnotes to book one. but I have one small problem. I can create acute & grave marks rough and smooth breathing marks however I have not been able to create circumflex marks that will appear over the vowels any one know how to do this.

Posts 2261
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 2 2011 6:56 AM

I don't know how well this exports to PBBs, but it does handle all my Greek Keyboard input in Word.

http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/keyboards

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 2 2011 7:11 AM

You could also use http://www.logos.com/shibboleth

Posts 54
Scott Sanjay Hayes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 2 2011 7:44 AM

For the circumflex character, I think you want the left square bracket [.

For example, left square bracket plus "v" in Greek Polytonic gives you an omega with a circumflex.

] + v

To add the iota subscript, use the RIGHT ALT key.  This only works with the right ALT key, not the left one.  So right ALT key + left square bracket + v gives you an omega with a circumflex and an iota subscript.

LEFT ALT + ] + v

For a full list, try the chart on page 15 of the following Microsoft documentation.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/5/4/2543a817-a8c4-4c63-a46a-f04a82bf623e/The%20Greek%20Polytonic%20System.doc

Enjoy!

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS