Page 3 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 58 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8742
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 6:37 AM | Locked

When you paste the exact same command-line (from the Windows Run dialog) into a command prompt, what happens?

Posts 8742
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 6:41 AM | Locked

Alternative: Launch Logos 4 as normal. When it's loaded, run (from a command prompt):

procdump -e logos4.exe

Reproduce the crash. ProcDump should now have created a crash dump file for Logos 4.

Posts 164
David Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 1:01 PM | Locked

When I paste the exact same command-line into command prompt, it creates the same error as before (%windir% problem?).  I started Logos4 and initiated procdump.  Procdump was running in a command window as long as Logos4 was running.  When Logos4 crashed, the window disappearted at the same time.  There is no indication that it created a dmp file.  I searced for logos4.dmp and *.dmp on the c:\ drive.  I could not find any dmp file from the crash.

Posts 164
David Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 1:38 PM | Locked

Here is the screen shot of the window for KJV.  When I repeatedly pressed space bar to recreate the crash, Logos4 handled it well and never crashed.   When I read it slowly page by page, it will crash at some point sometimes after a few chapters other times after many chapters.  But it will crash at some point.  I'm running Windows 7 home premium.

Posts 8742
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 9:44 PM | Locked

David Lee:

There is no indication that it created a dmp file.  I searced for logos4.dmp and *.dmp on the c:\ drive.  I could not find any dmp file from the crash.

Run

procdump -e logos4.exe C:\Temp\logos4.dmp

(replace "C:\Temp" as needed)

ProcDump should save the file in the C:\Temp folder. If you run it from a command prompt, it should print out where it wrote it before it exits.

Posts 164
David Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:17 AM | Locked

It took over an hour and half to recreate the problem this time.

Here is the screen capture of procdump after the crash.  It appears that Logos4 terminates immediately without generating an error condition.

Posts 164
David Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 12:18 PM | Locked

I turned off "Use Internet" and "Automatic Update" to see if it makes difference.  It still crashed the same way as before.

Posts 8742
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 12:39 PM | Locked

The C:\ folder typically isn't world-writable, so it's likely that procdump would fail to save a dump file there. Please choose a folder that your user account can write to (C:\Users\David should work).

Posts 164
David Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 2:47 PM | Locked

Logos exited immediately when I recreated the error.  Procdump did not generate a dump.

Posts 8742
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 3:15 PM | Locked

David Lee:

Logos exited immediately when I recreated the error.  Procdump did not generate a dump.

This is quite strange. I'm not sure why procdump isn't capturing a dump of this crash, but unfortunately without the crash file, we can't perform any diagnosis of this issue.

Some suggestions: try turning off visual filters and highlighting in that resource; switch from paged view to scrolling; use the default font and size; disable inline interlinear display; turn off "Show footnotes on page".

One or more of these settings may be causing the crash on your system.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:04 PM | Locked

Just poking my nose in ... please excuse me if these ideas are not helpful:

Does the C: drive have free space?

Does chkdsk c: run clean on the drive?

Does the Windows Event Log report anything suggestive around the times in question?

I wish I could sit there with you for a short while. Its possible this could sort out, but its hard to know what ideas to suggest from half a world away.

Regards, Jim

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2012 11:14 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

David Lee:

This is quite strange. I'm not sure why procdump isn't capturing a dump of this crash, but unfortunately without the crash file, we can't perform any diagnosis of this issue.

Some suggestions: try turning off visual filters and highlighting in that resource; switch from paged view to scrolling; use the default font and size; disable inline interlinear display; turn off "Show footnotes on page".

One or more of these settings may be causing the crash on your system.

Hello David,

I haven't forgotten about you!  We just released 4.5 Beta 14 tonight - I suggest you first upgrade to that version (if you can) and if the same issue occurs on your system, please follow Bradley's steps if possible and let me know what happens.  

Nobody else is experiencing the issues you've suffered through, and I'm beginning to think this is a possibly a Windows OS corruption problem.  Procdump is a Microsoft tool designed to dump process information after a crash, but if that doesn't work properly it's another indication that your computer might need a fresh install of Windows.

In any case I'll keep following this thread so please keep us updated.

Posts 164
David Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2012 7:37 AM | Locked

I started a command window and entered SET WINDIR=C:\WINDOWS command.  Then, ECHO %WINDIR% returned C:\WINDOWS.  I could start LOGOS from PROCDUMP.  Logos ran very slow in that mode.  It delayed considerable amount of time every few pages before turning to the next page when I pressed space bar.  I could not reproduce the problem in that mode even though I tried a few hours.  I open three windows when I read KJV according to McCheyne's reading plan, KJV, Reading Plan, and Copy Bible Verses.  I can reproduce the problem only when I start Logos without Procdump.  When I start Logos first and let procdump watch Logos process, Logos terminates immediately without producing a dump.

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:31 PM | Locked

Are you running any anti-virus software or have you attempted to remove any possible malware that might be affecting your system?  I'm curious - are you experiencing any other crashes with non-Logos software?

Posts 164
David Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2012 5:34 PM | Locked

Yes, it is protected by antivirus software. Full scan returned no warning. No other programs crash as regurarly as logos does. Logos runs quite a while before it crashes.

Posts 164
David Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 8:39 AM | Locked

When I close other windows (Bible reading program and Copy Bible Verses), I can not reproduce the crash.  It appears that Logos 4.5 RC1 crashes only when there are multiple windows open.  Even when other windows are open, it takes long time to reproduce the crash.  I can read quite a few chapters before Logos crashes.

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 2:22 PM | Locked

Hi David,

Your best bet now is to contact customer support if you run into any issues since 4.5 RC1 is an officially supported version.

Posts 25879
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 3:08 PM | Locked

Kevin Byford:

Hi David,

Your best bet now is to contact customer support if you run into any issues since 4.5 RC1 is an officially supported version.

Shouldn't that information be available to the L4 Forums as the 4.5 RC threads only state that it is available for testing?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 3:50 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Kevin Byford:

Hi David,

Shouldn't that information be available to the L4 Forums as the 4.5 RC threads only state that it is available for testing?

I apologize - "officially supported" may have been too strong of a wording.  An RC is considered a stable version but you will want wait until it ships to the stable channel and then call customer support if necessary.  Sorry for confusing the issue.!

Page 3 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS