Notes still a flop

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:07 PM | Locked

Unless something is done about notes, L4 will be unusable.  I attempted to recreate my Alpha Apostolic Fathers note file in L4 and found that there seems to be no way to place a link to resources within the body of the note.  This means that if I wish to link to the City of God under Augustine it must be a totally separate note rather than subsumed under Augustine.  The implication is that, if I want to link to a text in say, The Context of Scripture or Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament or a commentary passage, it cannot be done.  OR DOES SOMEONE KNOW HOW TO DO THIS?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:40 PM | Locked

George,

So I thought I would have an easy answer for you but apparently the problem is as perplexing as you say. I cannot find a way to place a link within a note. I thought the Hyperlink field would allow this but it only appears to work with http links...

I've said before, the Notes still need work.

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:42 PM | Locked

This has been reported and is a known issue. I guess it will be fixed.

There are a couple of other threads on notes with some issues and suggestions in the 4.0 forum. It definitely needs some work.

I hope the importer does a good job when it comes out. I have a few note files I wouldn't want to lose. No way I'd rebuild them.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:43 PM | Locked

George, I think it can now be done in a convoluted way.

But the logos developing team has said that this ability will be added. I believe they are trying to develop a new linking protocol that does not have some of the cross browser issues that the old links have.

With that said, until that is brought back you can make a link in MSWord and then paste that link into notes and it sorta works. Yes, this is crazy but if you need it right now that is the only way to make it work that I have discovered.

Locate the article in the resource then CTRL+ALT+C or go to the resource menu (upper left icon in the tab) and choose copy location as URL from the dropdown box.

Go to MSWord type in the text you want to see, select that text, Hit CTRL+K and past in the hyperlink location.

In mS Word, select the hyperlink and copy CTRL+C

Go back to the note file and paste in the link.

It appears that you can only go to the link if you are in edit mode and CTRL+Click on the link.

This is not really of much use but it could work in an emergency until hyperlinks are added back to Notes

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:49 PM | Locked

Trey Selman:
With that said, until that is brought back you can make a link in MSWord and then paste that link into notes and it sorta works. Yes, this is crazy but if you need it right now that is the only way to make it work that I have discovered.

Yes, they are working on it. Yes this is the only way I have found also. No copying your TOC from L3 to word does not retain notes. Yes your best option is to wait a couple weeks until the importer is made available and pray it works :-)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:12 PM | Locked

Philip Spitzer:

Trey Selman:

Yes, they are working on it. Yes this is the only way I have found also. No copying your TOC from L3 to word does not retain notes. Yes your best option is to wait a couple weeks until the importer is made available and pray it works :-)

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for our notes now and in the hour of their debasement.  Crying

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:24 PM | Locked

George Somsel:
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for our notes now and in the hour of their debasement. 

As a Baptist I don't pray to Mary, but this still gives me a chuckle.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:31 PM | Locked

Philip Spitzer:

Trey Selman:

Thanks to those who tried.  I'll be waiting patiently ...

Is it done yet?

george
gfsomsel

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:33 PM | Locked

George Somsel:
Is it done yet?

Yes. It works for me know. If you repeatly copy and paste from L3 to L4 as fast as you can they eventually copy the hyperlink. Go to it and don't give up!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:35 PM | Locked

Mark A. Smith:

George Somsel:
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for our notes now and in the hour of their debasement. 

As a Baptist I don't pray to Mary, but this still gives me a chuckle.

As an Episcopalian I don't either though I still use it to express utmost frustration.  I suppose I could use the line from Mendelsohn's Elijah --
"The summer now is over the harvest days are done, and yet nobody cometh to help us!  Help Lord."

george
gfsomsel

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:38 PM | Locked

What Mark, the immaculate misperception?

Posts 30147
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 3:54 PM | Locked

Mark A. Smith:
As a Baptist I don't pray to Mary

As a Catholic I don't pray to Mary either - except in the old  c.1290 sense of  "ask earnestly, beg," " from PIE base *prek- "to ask, request, entreat" (cf. Skt. prasna-, Avestan frashna- "question;" However, just as I might ask a friend to pray for me, I can also ask Mary to do so.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 4:06 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:

Mark A. Smith:
As a Baptist I don't pray to Mary

As a Catholic I don't pray to Mary either - except in the old  c.1290 sense of  "ask earnestly, beg," " from PIE base *prek- "to ask, request, entreat" (cf. Skt. prasna-, Avestan frashna- "question;" However, just as I might ask a friend to pray for me, I can also ask Mary to do so.

There are Anglicans who do the same with the same reasoning.  There is a group known as Anglo-Catholics.  Anglicans tend to be all over the ball park.  I happen to have joined as a "low church" type though I've gained an appreciation for the liturgy.  I still don't care to pray to the saints (however you wish to define that).

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:24 PM | Locked

George Somsel:
Thanks to those who tried.  I'll be waiting patiently ...

Thanks everyone for their two cents.  I have decided to waiting until they get the note system for v4 in v4 before I upgrade to v4.

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 6:05 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:

Then I shall say yet further: As a Baptist I don't ask Mary to pray for me either. In any form or use of the word pray I might add.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 6:09 PM | Locked

And as a Southern Baptist, I don't mind asking Mary to pray for me, but I don't anticipate her hearing my request any more than my normal Wed evening prayer meeting folks.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS