Missing search terms?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1328
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:00 PM

I'm used to doing search like <bible in "genesis 2:3"> , but neither the "in" nor the "near" search terms work in L4.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:03 PM

Ben:

I'm used to doing search like <bible in "genesis 2:3"> , but neither the "in" nor the "near" search terms work in L4.

Do they work if they are upper case?

Posts 1328
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:10 PM

NEAR works. IN doesn't.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:18 PM

Ben:

NEAR works. IN doesn't.

I would suggest something like pressing ALT + Down arrow brings up something like the Morph assistance box that has the various options in it.

Posts 9040
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:19 PM

Ben:

Bradley Grainger of Logos has told us that search syntax is not yet documented for Logos 4. So trying is the best we can do. Some search syntax is exactly as in 3.0 but the <> brackets are not used. Holy WITHIN 5 WORDS Spirit is one that works.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 7905
LogosEmployee

Ben:

Specifying the data type is often unnecessary, because Logos 4 can usually figure it out: there's really only one thing (ignoring versification differences, which are handled automatically, anyway) that you can mean by "Genesis 2:3". For a data type reference search, enclose the reference in angle brackets:

<gen 2:3>    <G3056>

etc. To force an exact (not an intersecting) match, use an equals sign:

<= Jn 3:16>

If you need to distinguish ambiguous references, you can still specify the data type name/alias, optionally followed by an operator, then the data:

<LN = 1.10>   <tdnt = 1.10>    <LN ~ 33.98>   <LN 33.98>

Posts 3644
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:53 AM

Bradley Grainger:
For a data type reference search, enclose the reference in angle brackets:

<gen 2:3>    <G3056>

etc. To force an exact (not an intersecting) match, use an equals sign:

<= Jn 3:16>

If you need to distinguish ambiguous references, you can still specify the data type name/alias, optionally followed by an operator, then the data:

<LN = 1.10>   <tdnt = 1.10>    <LN ~ 33.98>   <LN 33.98>

Wow--thanks, Bradley! Where would I find tips like this--help? help videos?

Blessings, & THANKS for all you do for us!

Bill

Posts 7905
LogosEmployee

Bill Stonebraker:

Wow--thanks, Bradley! Where would I find tips like this--help? help videos?

It will be in the help... eventually. (I think one of the items on my tasklist is to review and flesh out the existing help on searching but I haven't gotten to it yet...)

Posts 24443
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:05 PM

Bradley,

I did a quick HELP and would appreciate your comments at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/4193.aspx

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3644
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:24 PM

Dave Hooton:
I did a quick HELP

Wow--THANKS, Dave! I've bookmarked that page...

Thanks again!

Bill

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 6:34 AM

It seems that <luke 13:1-9> gives the same results as <bible in "luke 13:1-9"> used to in L3

Posts 24443
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 8:33 PM

CoramDeo:

It seems that <luke 13:1-9> gives the same results as <bible in "luke 13:1-9"> used to in L3

Yes, both are an "intersection" search.

<luke 13:1-9> is the "friendly" syntax for <bible ~luke 13:1-9>    -  see http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS