Are you going to buy The Works of Jonathan Edwards (29 Vols.)?

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 8:41 AM

The old adage of having to spend money to make money comes to mind! :)

Posts 3752
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 9:45 AM

DominicM:
For me the price is too high,

Any more, I'm priced out of everything but CP.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 128
Simon Pleasants | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 3:31 AM

Jerry Fourroux:

You could spend $2500 on the Christmas Sale and get a credit that would purchase the Edwards works. 

Nice strategy, but unfortunately it won't work! The fine print states that Logos credit cannot be currently used to purchase prepubs. So you'd need to spend $5,870 this month and then wait until they come off prepub (assuming that they will sell for the retail price)! 

I think I'm going to have to pass on them at this price and content myself with the two-volume set.

"Upon a life I did not live, Upon a death I did not die, Another's life, another's death, I stake my whole eternity"

Horatius Bonar

Posts 2915
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 7:31 AM

Would love to have it, but not at $900.  If I had $900 to spend on Logos resources, there are other books I would buy first. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 7:49 AM

Michael Childs:

Would love to have it, but not at $900.  If I had $900 to spend on Logos resources, there are other books I would buy first. 

Oh so true. This would be an eventual purchase at $300, not $900.

Buying it at $900 only tells Logos how to price this genre of collection in the future as well. Not something I want to encourage even for a "must-have" resource like this that's already available online freely and the 1600+ page two volume work is 80% of the most valuable reference material.

On another level, I'm interested in what those people who are going to buy this do not get off pre-pub. I'm guessing they buy just about everything that comes off the pre-pub bus that is in the "academic" interest and have libraries that have cost well over $20,000. Am I wrong?

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 8:44 AM

I wish I could afford the set! To bad, at this point, I cannot justify the cost.

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 9:04 AM

Mike S.:
Buying it at $900 only tells Logos how to price this genre of collection in the future as well. Not something I want to encourage even for a "must-have" resource...

Pricing doesn't work like that.

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 9:34 AM

Mike S.:
On another level, I'm interested in what those people who are going to buy this do not get off pre-pub. I'm guessing they buy just about everything that comes off the pre-pub bus that is in the "academic" interest and have libraries that have cost well over $20,000.

Not in my case. I just sorted the pre-pub section of the store by price in descending order to see which of the 'expensive' sets I have orders in for. Out of the 60 most expensive pre-pubs being offered, I have orders in for "only" 14 of them (including Jonathan Edwards). And probably, some of them I'll cancel before delivery.

Posts 434
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 9:58 AM

I could also buy a Bugatti Veiron.

If I had the money, that is. Smile

Both the Bugatti and Edwards are too expensive for me.

Posts 465
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 10:59 AM

Mike Aubrey:
Mike S.:
Buying it at $900 only tells Logos how to price this genre of collection in the future as well. Not something I want to encourage even for a "must-have" resource...

Pricing doesn't work like that.

Agreed. Yale University Press set the price, not Logos.

On a side note, seeing this pre-pub on the Logos site got me to buy a used copy of volume 11 (Edwards was a master of typology) in print.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 1:08 PM

I might eventually try to pick up the smaller set if it goes on a special or sale. It will probably meet most of my practical needs as I don't expect to focus exclusively on Jonathan Edwards for the foreseeable future and I'd spend $900 on a number of other resources right now that I would use more frequently. I still have a couple of commentary sets and journal collections on my radar! Geeked

Posts 1576
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 1:19 PM

Not purchasing, because not interested.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS