(filename.docx) is not a valid Word document

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Jonathan Minnick | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 7 2011 10:46 AM

I used AVS Document Converter to convert some of my .epub files to .docx files so that I could add them to my Personal Books on Logos. So far, I am getting a "Build Failed" error and it is saying that "(filename.docx) is not a valid Word document."

What can I do about that...what went wrong?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 10:51 AM

Welcome Big Smile

Wonder if docx file(s) can be opened for editing in Word 2010 or LibreOffice (free) ?

Logos 4.5 Beta added "PBB Logs" folder for diagnosing build failures.  Wiki has => Logos 4 Beta Program with information and risks.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4
Jonathan Minnick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 10:58 AM

I will try to open it under a faux Word program. I have only opened them in WordPad previously, and that works just fine.

Thank you for the tips!

If anyone else has any ideas or knows of a program that could work those kinks out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 11:04 AM

Jonathan Minnick:
I will try to open it under a faux Word program.

LibreOffice is free, which can read and write docx.

Jonathan Minnick:
If anyone else has any ideas or knows of a program that could work those kinks out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Personally have used Calibre to convert from epub to RTF, then opened RTF in Word processor, followed by save as docx (along with some editing).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4
Jonathan Minnick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 11:07 AM

I found an odd solution, but I'm not sure yet whether I have lost any important content.

I opened the files in WordPad, then without changing anything, I clicked "Save".

It gave me a warning that said "Saving this document will cause some content that can't be displayed in WordPad to be lost."

I went ahead and saved it anyway, since I have a backup, and the resulting file Built correctly and can be viewed in Logos.

Solution or not? I don't know...it's kind of a strange extra step, and not the easiest way to get things done, but I'll take it for now until I find out what's actually going on and how to fix it.

Posts 4
Jonathan Minnick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 11:11 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Personally have used Calibre to convert from epub to RTF, then opened RTF in Word processor, followed by save as docx (along with some editing).

I'm a big fan of Calibre and use it to manage over 900 books, but I didn't want to add any extra steps to the process. Kinda looks like that may be necessary, thanks for the tip.

Posts 53
David Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2016 2:00 PM

I have encountered the same problem and someone (I think from Logos) once told me to just take the docx file that Logos is rejecting and save it as an RTF file (from Word) and then reopen it with Word and save it as a docx file again and that has worked for me.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS